“Unit A203! Fantastic place”

Castle Molokai Shores
Vancouver, Canada
“Unit A203! Fantastic place”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

My partner and I stayed here on a 4 day/ 3 nights. Check-in was kinda "weird" as the reception operation hours are from 8 to 4pm. We got there at 6pm with no one to greet us. They have a small box with envelops with your name on it. At least there was a little map with instructions. We got to the unit and we were very pleased as we did not have an idea of what to expect.

The unit was very well furnished and clean. The owners had left a binder with different activities and local restaurants. Had everything we needed to coffee makers to deep fryer and the list goes on. Free wi-fi, local cable and A/C! And the view from the Balcony was amazing! right in front of the beach. We had breakfast on the balcony each morning and it was fantastic. We really felt like it was our second home. Thank you for the owners who made this unit very welcoming. I would stay here again in a near future. Thank you

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Memphis, TN
Reviewed 9 August 2014

My husband and I were extremely disappointed with this rental during our trip to Molokai. Upon arriving at Molokai Shores we were told to check in with Uncle Billy. We must have interrupted Uncle Billy while he was watching one of his shows because all we saw was an obese pair of legs who told us make sure we out the key back in the lock box upon checking out at the end of our stay.

With no guidance from Uncle Billy as to where our unit was, we finally found it. We walked into a sweat box. The unit was stuffy and we could barely breathe. Searching desperately for air conditioning, we discovered there was none. Chad, the owner, does not make this fact known on either his personal website or his advertisement on VRBO. In an attempt to cool off, we changed clothes and headed down to the pool. What we found was a small pool surrounded by smokers. There was so much cigarette smoke, we could not stay at the pool.

We left the pool and went down to the pitiful excuse for a beach (not the beach in the pictures shown on Chad's ad...those are 40 minutes away on the other side of the island). On the beach, we scoured the internet and found Hotel Molokai - our saving grace! I called Chad to let him know we would be leaving and to ask for a partial refund. He informed me that he could not do that because he did not advertise there was air conditioning. He also does not make it known that there is not air conditioning. He did give us our $100 cleaning fee back since we were only there 45 minutes.

Save yourself a huge disappointment and book with Hotel Molokai (read my review). They are wonderful and saved our trip!

• Stayed August 2014
3 Thank travelswithneale

Travellers are raving about these Kaunakakai hotels

Henderson, Nevada
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I was taught you're not supposed to say anything if you can't say something nice! In the case of Castle Molokai Shores it is very difficult to find something nice to say. We stayed in unit 316 in building A. It was terrible. Old, dated, dirty and in need of numerous repairs. We stayed four looooooooooooooong nights and shared the rooms with an epic number of insects and small lizards. The screen above the door was not attached, was too high to reach, and was the point of entry for the bugs/lizards. We spent as little time as possible there. I would love to return to the island of Molokai. I will consider sleeping in the rental car next time because this property is a big disappointment.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NJHeimark
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Incoming flight to Molokai arrived during late afternoon 2 weeks ago [April 15, 2014]. By the time I rented my car and drove to Molokai Shores, the office had closed but there was an envelope waiting for me with a key to my room, a helpful set of rules and instructions, and an excellent map of the island.

What I loved about Room 221 = Excellent location, just minutes from Kaunakaikai and other local attractions, beautiful views of the Pacific Ocean + well kept grounds, comfortable surroundings [no AC but none really needed], respect for the posted Quiet Hours [10:00 pm - 8:00 am], fully equipped kitchen [except for lack of a dish cloth so I opted to use a dish towel for washing my dishes].

The "beach" is better described as a "walking" [as opposed to swimming] beach but I didn't come to Molokai to swim. I came for the Mule Ride and I was NOT disappointed! See my extensive tripadvisor review for more information.

There is also a Laundromat and pool on site although I did not use either one.

What I disliked = nothing really. Others might object to the early morning rooster "greetings" [no problem for me] and the resident ants in the kitchen [not that many but I stored all my food, including my tightly sealed garbage, in the refrigerator, a strategy that kept them mostly out of sight].

I am not a high maintenance person and I don't require Martha Stewart inspired surroundings. Room 221 suited me just fine!

This was my first trip to Molokai, I loved the people and every minute of the 3 entire days spent there [not counting the fly in/fly out days] , and I definitely plan to return again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank 46Lil
Kensington, Maryland
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I've done a number of Condo rentals in my time, so I know what to expect with respect to some are awesome, some are not. I went the route of Expedia for the rental so I could get it for just 1 night (otherwise you have to rent at least 2 or 3 nights). I decided to throw all the dollars on the table and get the upper floor, ocean view. The view was pretty spectacular. Overall, the unit was so-so. The carpet was on the old and not so clean side. The kitchen counters and cabinets were starting to fall apart and most of the furniture appeared to have been retrieved from a garage sale circa 1980. That being said, I'm generally most concerned with whether or not the shower works and the bed is clean. The bed was great! Clean linens and firm, but not hard. The shower was clean and nice with new fixtures, but water pressure wasn't great. The grounds were very nice and the pool and hot tub looked good, but I didn't use them. The beach was very small, but waters were calm. You'll probably need water socks if you want to swim--lots of coral. Again, the view was great, but being on the top floor, the overhanging roof gets in the way of the view a bit. On the loft aspect--if you are 10 climbing the winding staircase to the loft is probably cool. Any older and you are probably going to get vertigo. There's no A/C, but once you open all the doors and turn on the ceiling fans, the heat isn't really a problem. Fridge and sink fixtures were new. Didn't really use any of the other appliances as I was just there one night. One thing to think about with this place is that the folks living on the island can't exactly jump out to Home Depot to remodel their homes. There is an Ace Hardware on the island and that is all. So, the fact that the place is clean gives it a bump.

Room Tip: If you don't need the extra space, just get the cheapest room. No need for the upper floor for...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank TammyS3
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 19 March 2014

We chose A215 because the ratings were so good and the price was attractive. This place was everything the website and communications said it would be, and more. We spent 10 days here and it was nearly perfect. Of course the weather and the view cooperated, so that helped. This is one of the best maintained, best equipped and most welcoming condos we have ever stayed in. The hosts were very friendly and helpful, and had everything we needed. We had a great view from our lanai, where we could watch the whales, the palm trees, the clouds and just sit back and enjoy, which was what we were looking for. Wifi available (very nice to have), a fully equipped kitchen, books, TV (which we never turned on) and a great swimming pool, which we used several times a day. They even have a small putting green (not golf course quality, but fun anyway).

We did several of the local "things to do": beaches, sugar mill, view of Kalaupapa National Park (original leper colony - we did not take the mule ride down the cliffs, but heard it was great), and took the ferry from Maui. However, we went to relax and chill out, and that's why it was perfect.
We felt part of the local "scene" because we shopped locally and went for drinks a couple of times to the Hotel Molokai bar, but mostly we just hung out.

I slept really well for 10 nights, but my husband had a little trouble with the roosters in the morning. Of course I had ear plugs, which I highly recommend.

But this clean, well-kept and well-equipped condo is a great escape for anyone looking to get away from the busy Honolulu and Maui scenes and experience the real Hawaii.

Room Tip: Choose A215 for all the amenities and the view. We heard some of the rentals were sparsely furnishe...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Pat S
Olathe, Kansas
Reviewed 19 January 2014

It is old, roach-infested, dirty, in desperate need of a full makeover. This is a managed condo, so the condition of the individual units is the responsibility of the unit owner, but management must have some minimum standards that should be enforced, although the lack of any real competition on the island makes this less likely to happen. Too bad, because the island offers a nice, relaxed, island-paced departure from the Waikiki shop-to-you're-broke experience. The 10 PM noise restriction clearly was viewed as a "suggestion" since the party that lasted well into the wee hours seemed to be happening in or near the resident manager's unit. Didn't get much sleep.

Room Tip: Just stay away from the place until they fix it up.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank MFR10_4
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kaunakakai
Montage Kapalua Bay
#2 of 4 in Kaunakakai
Ke Nani Kai
Ke Nani Kai
#1 of 2 in Maunaloa

Been to Castle Molokai Shores? Share your experiences!