Message from TripAdvisor:

“Beautiful sunny beaches”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Maunaloa
West Molokai Resort
Reviewed 13 October 2009

This unit is everything you could want in a rental condo. It is very comfortable and roomy. The recent events inpacting the compex have not made for lush surroundings however, you can not discount the great ocean view and the wonderful beaches on this end of Molokai. Worth the trip regardless of the crazy folks trying to mess with the asthetics.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
3  Thank ermalbca

Reviewed 18 September 2009

Our first trip to Molokai...didn't know what to expect except quietness. Our condo was ground floor - great view - well furnished and stocked with all the necessities and quite a few non-necessities. Walked the famous 3 mile beach - watched crabs scurrying to/from their holes in the sand to the surf - enjoyed the huge waves - and loved being lazy by the pool from which you can see the island of Oahu and the lights of Honolulu at night! Even though the golf course was brown, we enjoyed walking around on it and others were actually practicing their game! The pool was our main attraction as we are sun seekers to the max and there was plenty of it for our enjoyment.
I would love to add photos, but since I'm not on my home computer, that is not possible at this time!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 September 2009

We rented a condo in 2009 at the Kaluokoi resort. We loved it because it was quiet and away from any hustle and bustle - although the whole island is quite low key. There are many deserted beaches to explore, it's an adventure to hike around. The closure of the golf course makes good hiking trails and accessibility to the beaches. We didn't find the drives to get groceries any inconvenience as the island is so scenic. We had a great beach for swimming on the west end also. We wanted to relax and unwind and found it the ideal place to do so. It isn't really remote, there are other guests and people around and there is a store there also. The grounds are well kept and beautiful except where the hotel and pool are - they are quite run down. The condo was extremely well kept and the owner gave us all kinds of tips about what to do on the island. If you really want to feel like you are in the country, we would recommend this resort.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 September 2009

I stayed in a condo at this resort for two weeks in February earlier this year, and was quite taken aback by the vitriolic reviews I read here. My condo was clean, very well equipped - I have tried, unsuccessfully , since I got back to find the china and cutlery I used there to use in my own home. There was a new sunshade on the lanai, which, incidentally had a beautiful ocean view, though not waterfront, and comfortable furniture inside and outside. Sure the golf areas were a little unkempt, but it's a bit unfair to blame the West Molokai Resort for the shortcomings of another owner group, and it did not stop me walking every day, to one or another of the beautiful beaches in the area. I was not expecting a pool because the condo's owner had told me it was closed. And the garden areas around the resort were kept immaculate by a small army of gardeners.
Maybe the lack of a pool would be a downer to some people, but I did not go to Molokai to swim, I went for a quiet and peaceful break and I got just that. Again, I had been warned ahead of time and expected to go to Maunoloa or Kuanakakai for groceries, and I enjoyed the trip to town when I needed to go. I found it a charming little town, but I would not have wanted to stay there.
I think some people would be happier on Maui or in Honolulu - if it's bright lights and lots of action you're after, Molokai is not for you. And if it's a hotel atmosphere, with people to do your every bidding, and a choice of restaurants and bars in plain sight, this resort is not for you. However, if you want peace and quiet, with the best sunsets on the island thrown in, you can happily stay here. As for rental cars I was strongly advised to book ahead, and had no problems, but Molokai is a small island, and you cannot expect either the numbers or choice of cars you would find on the bigger islands.
Do your research, and decide what kind of holiday you want before you book. I will return to Molokai in the future - I didn't get to hike the Halawa valley yet, and I will happily return to the West Molokai resort.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 September 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed here in a wonderful one bedroom condo for a week. It was a perfect locale. We had sunsets nightly, heard only the surf, wind, rainstorm & geckos...hiked to over four secluded white sand beaches...and could still drive into "town" for a delicious meal and enjoy local music. While the pool was not available, and the resort is in transition, we were still afforded much "aloha" spirit from the people in the resort/condos, the beautiful grounds and the feeling of old Hawai'i. Moloka'i, and the West End are wonderful! I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 August 2009

Molokai is beautiful, it's the Hawaii it was 50 years ago. The Resort is located on the westside, about 30 minutes away from the airport. The Resort was very quiet, there were not many tourists. Sometimes we felt like we were the only one there. The price is good (we stayed in a cheaper room), you can go to the beach and watch a beautiful sunset. At night, there are many frogs, so you should take a flashlight with you.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank niobe24
Reviewed 29 July 2009

The first 2 days were depresessing; this condo complex has seen much better days. But now the golf course is neglected, grass is brown, swimming pool is dirty and abondoned. It just has a depressing feel to it. Avoid this resort at all costs till they fix the place.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mscons
Ellynjd, owner, Board of Directors at West Molokai Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2009

As the Board of Directors of the Kaluakoi Villas, also known as Kepuhi Beach Resort, we want to clarify information on some recent negative postings. The resort area is comprised of a hotel and privately owned condominiums. They were separated from each other in the 1980s, enjoying an era of abundance and beauty until 2001 when the hotel closed and began a long slide into decay. The hotel remains closed at this time but the beauty continues on the resort condominium side decorated with lavish lawns and many tropical plants and among the most beautiful ocean views of all the islands.

Recently, the pool, shared by the hotel and condominium association, has fallen into dispute which is being resolved through the court system. It remains surrounded by temporary fencing and hopefully, for only a little while longer. Several picturesque beaches are within short walking distances from the condominium side. If there are 3 people on the beach, it is considered crowded!

The golf course was also closed recently, as has been done in the past, leading to a different 'feeling' about that area closest to the beach. Now instead of crossing a golf course to get to the beach, visitors meander through meadow-like pathways to the sandy shore to enjoy breath-taking and incredible sunsets that are beyond description. Many visitors have made positive comments about the pathways and do not miss dodging golf balls. Restaurants and grocery stores require a drive but those who appreciate the unspoiled beauty of Molokai are willing to forego the inconvenience in exchange for secluded beaches, no stoplights, and buildings that are no taller than a palm tree. There are rental cars available through Alamo and Island Kine.

Mahalo and Regards,
Kepuhi Beach Resort Board of Directors

Also consider these accommodations in or near Maunaloa
Hotel Molokai
Castle Molokai Shores Resort
No photo provided
MVP Kepuhi Beach Resort
#2 of 3 in Maunaloa

Been to West Molokai Resort? Share your experiences!