“Saucy, unique southern comfort food experience in Hawaii”
Review of Dixie Grill

Dixie Grill
Ranked #5 of 165 Restaurants in Aiea
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Child-friendly, View
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed 7 March 2014

The place was filled with an enjoyable, boisterous crowd, perhaps a third of it military folk. Friendly staff enthusiastically took our orders, hurried to get food to our table and refreshed those ginormous mugs of (very) sweet tea.

It's a good idea to come early because:

-- The tables fill up
-- The parking lot fills up
-- The smoked meat cabinet empties out; we were too late to try the pastrami

I'm a big fan of smoked meat and barbecue, and Dixie Grill's menu scratched that itch. We REALLY appreciated the six large bottles of BBQ sauce that come with orders of smoked meat (Memphis, Kansas City, Southwest, Carolina, etc.). The two of us who ordered the brisket thought the KC sauce was excellent. The brisket had a few fatty pieces, but overall it was smoky and tender, as was the pulled pork. One note -- those who order the pork thinking that they are getting barbecue as opposed to smoked might think it's a little dry. In any case, a little of the sauce made it just right for us. The side dishes (cole slaw, cornbread casserole, baked mac & cheese) were OK, not great. I'll try other ones next time. One member of our party raved about the mufelatta she ordered but wickedly refused to share it. There's a lot more on the menu for us gourmands, from crab & shrimp to po boys to various south-efied burgers.

Also:

-- The food arrived pretty quickly, and we chowed down on the free popcorn while we waited.
-- Portions were adequate, especially considering that ordering the smoked meat nets you a couple of generous side dishes. We were too full for dessert.
-- It was a hot day, and while the inside isn't chilled, the fans kept it cool enough.
-- Although it was warmer and a lot noisier (due to the heavy traffic on Farrington) outside, patio diners seemed to enjoy themselves just as much as those of us seated inside.
-- Healthy options: There are a few salads that look tasty and won't raise your cholesterol. Otherwise, BYOCelery.
-- There are always specials not listed on the menu.
-- So far as I know, there is no other southern food filling station like this on Oahu, so we were very grateful to friends who recommended it.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

My family loves this place! We eat here about every other week. The cornbread is the best I have ever had! We love the crab legs and meatloaf sandwich too. What is great about this place is - you can enjoy a good meal and have drinks for half of the price of what it would cost in Waikiki.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

We were looking for something different, away from the tourist area of Waikiki, and found Dixie grill via yelp. We hasn't tried a lot of southern food previously (being Aussies) but lets just say this place was so great, we are now heading on a road trip through the south this year! We went back twice during our trip to Oahu. The brisket and pulled pork were amazing, I loved the variety of sauces available. Also the cornbread casserole was divine. I had never tried sweet tea before, it was so good I'm now absolutely addicted. I also liked that there were very few if any tourists here ( we were getting very sick of hearing aussie accents everywhere in Waikiki), and in fact seemed heavily populated with military people and families, which was a great atmosphere to us. Highly recommend!!

Reviewed 2 February 2014

After visiting Pearl Harbor we searched for food near by and decided to try this place. Popcorn greats you on your table which is fresh and good. Casual and lively place. Lots of comfort food choices on the menu. I got country fried steak with mashed potatoes and sausage gravy. Good doesn't do it enough justice. Gravy was completely legit sausage gravy. Green beans were crispy if you like them like that but were tasty as well. I tried the cornbread casserole as suggested by another review and it was like dessert with sweet corn in it. Crispy layer on top and so good. Husband got the meat loaf and that was probably the best meat loaf he has ever tasted. I tried it and it had a smokey flavor that was out of this world. He said his pinto beans were as good as his Mom's, and that's saying something. He got an order to go. Yes, they were that good. HUGE glasses of sweet tea were just what we needed after a day of sightseeing. If we weren't leaving in a couple of days, we would go back to try some other dishes.
The staff was friendly and service was fast and great. I asked for a box to bring home my leftovers and our waitress even brought us more sweet tea in to go cups. A great find. Thanks to trip advisor.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

We had 14 people eat here the other night, and not a single person went home unhappy.

Most of us had ribs, they bring out 6 different sauces which you can buy to take home with you if you really like something!

I also had cornbread, and it was one of the most tasty things i have ever had! I feel like i have been missing out my whole life!

Well done Dixie Grill, when I visit next I will definitely be back!