“Surf with Kekai!” 5 of 5 bubbles

US$150.00*
and up
Certified Diving Tour: South Shore Wreck Dive
More attraction details
Owner description: Responsible, small group scuba and snorkel tours and courses. We are North Shores scuba diving headquarters! We also offer diving in Waikiki, Honolulu, and West Oahu! From your very first dive to dive professionals, our experienced guides and instructors ensure an amazing Hawaiian Waters experience with an emphasis on safety.
Fayetteville, West Virginia
“Surf with Kekai!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

Deep Ecology started giving surfing lessons recently and I have to say that my Kekai was personable and very practical. In a very short amount of time you learn the fundamentals of surfing and feel completely comfortable in the water. If you surf with Kekai you should feel confident to go out again and hone up your surfing skills whether in Hawaii or around the world. If you are nervous about surfing you will never be again after going out with him! I highly recommend him.

Visited February 2014

Gilbert, Arizona
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Good shop but a lot of problems they should address with their boat diving”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

I contacted these guys on the phone and they seemed really cool, so I was looking forward to diving with them and taking my teen son. We were staying about 20 minutes away at Turtle Bay so their location was close and I had read up on the North Shore diving so I was excited.

When I got to the shop, we all piled into a van to go to the boat. Cool. No problem. Then the DM told us, "Yeah it's just over an hour to get to the boat". What??? OK, make the best of it. When we got to the dock, the boat wasn't there, then this "thing" gets brought in on a truck and it is a tiny little makeshift dive boat that looks a hundred years old. Ugh, THIS is my son's first boat dive? Dang. OK, make the best of it. After another half hour ride to the dive site, we finally make it in and the DM ends up tending to one lady who is having a lot of trouble and has NO buddy to dive with. Suddenly, the DM is gone. This wouldn't be a big deal except for the fact that he was going to take us through the Makaha "caves" and we had NO idea where they were because there was no dive briefing. When the group came back to the boat, he was on board eating a cookie, relaxing. Being an instructor for many years, I know there is only one reason he should have done that, so I ask, "Did you have an emergency?". Nope. They lost us and called the dive. Hmmm.... If he wouldn't have been such a nice guy, I would have been more upset. Then Captain (Bad word), the boat captain (who had been less that friendly to everyone) pipes up with the beginning of a lecture on the fact that you have to follow the DM. I cut him off and told him that when the DM leads, we will follow, so talk to him. Talking to the DM afterwards, I did feel bad for him but the shop left him understaffed for divers that inexperienced and with no buddy. At the end of the day, I ended up stepping in and helping the other divers out of the boat with the DM because the captain was too lazy to get off his rump and help.

We came back to the dock and drove back and I went in and paid. The shop guys are great. The DM is super nice and a good diver. The boat sucks and the captain is a raging (another bad word). I gave them 3stars instead of 1 because I believe they can do better. They need a better boat/captain first and need to let their divers know what to expect for the drive and the diver-DM ratio. In the end, I cancelled the rest of our dives with them for the week because of the boat, captain, and the time commitment needed to drive across the island.

Visited February 2014
2 Thank DelCamDad
DeepEcology, Manager at Banzai Divers Hawaii, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Aloha DelCamDad,

I am very sorry that you did not have the amazing dive experience we strive to achieve. I was the Dive Guide this day, and I take any feedback very seriously. I am sorry that we had to alter our dive destination to the other side of the island. One of the hurdles with diving in Hawaii is the ocean conditions, and on that day we felt that the west side would be the most calm and clear. While our boat is small, it is converted to run on natural gas, which is part of our commitment to be as ecology sound as possible. We also feel the smaller dive groups provide a safer, more personable dive experience. Being a dive professional yourself, I am sure you are aware that the number one focus is the safety of the group. I felt that the women I was focusing on needed a little more attention as she was lesser experienced than yourself. I had noticed that you and your son we no longer with the rest of the group. I stuck to the rule from basic training that after 1 minute of searching I surfaced and waited for you to do the same. After waiting on the surface for 5 minutes, I assumed you and your son were choosing to continue the dive on your own, which is totally acceptable with both of you being certified divers. I appreciate that you took the time to evaluate our performance and I can assure you it will help us to better serve our divers in the future.

Mahalo for your Review
los angeles
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Amazing!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

I recently scheduled an open water class with Deep Ecology in the beginning of January 2014. I have to say, I was impressed from the courtesy to the professionalism and to the fun I experienced with the shop. I missed a class that kept me from completing my cert a few years back, and DE caught me right up to speed. They were flexible with my schedule, and very helpful with answering any questions that I had. Devin was my PADi instructor, and he kept the whole class simple and practical. I walked away confident and excited to start my next class. Thanks for the good time!!!
Also, I find it refreshing to see divers practice what they preach, from the simple things of collecting trash off the ocean bottom while enjoying to sea life.
-Chris

Visited January 2014
Kenmore
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

The staff at Deep Ecology went out of their way to make our PADI Scuba lessons enjoyable. Pat, the owner, and Brian, the manager, had to scramble to arrange for the second day as huge waves meant everyone was canceled the one day and this being Christmas there were no open slots. Nick, the dive instructor, really was caring and a great help when the 11 year old got seasick. He was very good at getting the grandkids through the whole process. Couldn't be better.

Visited January 2014
Austin, Texas
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Great Dive Shop”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

We were in Oahu over Thanksgiving and had a dive booked with them. Weather conditions were terrible and our first dive was cancelled. Pat and Tim were great and rescheduled us for the next day. Weather was terrible and second dive was also cancelled. They did their best trying to accommodate us.

We will be back on Oahu in January and will book with them again. Great people and shop. Would highly recommend them!!