All reviews sunset beach min drive across the street bus stop full kitchen supermarket surf pipeline foodland waimea geckos snorkels oahu
Reviewed 24 January 2005

This is the most disgusting hole I have ever come across in 25 years of traveling. I had booked the ocean front suite. The filth was shocking. Black mold growing extensively up the walls of the tub. The tub was supposed to be white but I don't know if it was ever cleaned. The scum, dirt, slime was so thick. There was someone elses towel on the bathroom floor still full of sand and muck. The toilet had a ring around it and the sink hadn't been cleaned either. The room had been 'cleaned' as there was a clean sheet on the bed ..but no mattress pad no mattress cover nothing to keep you form everyone who slept before you on this well used mattress covered by a thin sheet. The floor hadn't been cleaned as there were rodent sized dustballs everywhere. The kitchenette hadn't been even wiped down...everything was sticky and the fridge still had dried food spills and smelled horrible. The kicker was...there are warnings to lock your room everywhere and the doorwall screen to the balcony wasn't even attached so it fell right off. There was a baseball size hole in the screen too, so you couldn't have fresh air (there is no central air) and you could not secure your room without suffocating in it. Suffocating in stench and germs, not a good place to stay in my book. When I complained to the staff, he said no refunds. I guess they expect you to accept thir poor excuse for an accommodation. Their "no refund policy" not only covers no shows but also insure a new policy of "so what" if it is not clean. When I told the staff that the only thing that looks like it was done was to put a different thin sheet on the bed his response was "you are probably right". I am challenging the charge on my credit card. This place is disgusting. Oh, and the location..it is ocean front but your view is blocked by vegetation and to get to the beach you have to leave the building..walk out to the street and around to get to a small rocky cove.

3  Thank callk2sell
Reviewed 14 July 2004

I stayed in Backpackers suites on Three Tables Beach with my son and mother-in-law for a week in 2001. My first thought was, "What have I done?, because it definitely was a "rustic" environment. But, my only other Hawaii experience had been in the Waikiki area in '97 and I was looking forward to something other than the Honolulu rat race (I love Honolulu, too, it just wasn't what I was after on this trip). The rooms were passably clean - a lot of corrosion on the appliances from the salt air, but no roaches or creepy-crawlies of any kind. The beds weren't terribly comfortable, but after acclimating to our surroundings for a day, we felt at home and totally enjoyed the entire experience. It's really all in your perspective. We loved watching the sunsets from our balcony overlooking the beach. I would say the suites are very charming in a beach-bum chic sort of way. I would stay there again in a heartbeat!

3  Thank BoardingPass4533
Reviewed 28 April 2004

We stayed at the suites, and fortunately, the sheets were clean and we did not see any roaches! (I was concerned after reading the review from MO.) The kitchen appliances could have used some attention (like new foil under the stove burners), and it seems that the mattresses were well worn, but overall I would stay there again. The best part was going to Foodland for coffee in the morning, then sitting on the beach at the Pipeline to watch the surfers. The North shore is a great place to relax. It's kind of a surfer-hippie environment; very laid back.

Reviewed 2 February 2004

WARNING! Do not rent these suites if you are expecting a 5-star experience with expensive restaurants and maid servie. If, however, you are looking for no crowds, local color, inexpensive restaurants, and a REAL Hawaii experience, this truly is awesome. It took us some about a day, some heavy cleaning, and a drive by the insanely crowded Honolulu beaches to overcome the negative aspects of the ambiance, but then we adjusted our attitudes and loved it. We had the beach to ourselves plus a few locals, and we were walking distance to Waiamea. Free boogie board and snorkel loans. Local restaurants are truly local and affordable. Great pizza, fish, burgers, etc. Saw whales from the deck and fell asleep to the sound of the pounding surf (natural air conditioning).

4  Thank Go21422
Reviewed 15 December 2003

i had an awesome time here: right at th end of my 6month round the world trip. the cabins are wicked, get a good crowd for younger travellers and surfers, make good friends. you have your own cabin with shower/toilet, full kitchen fridge/freezer.. eating area and balcony.
amazing value for money right opposite beach...see huge turtles swimming round the rocks, 5minutes from pipeline for the surfers!
reccommend this place definetly..if your a travller head here, best on oahu