“cheap and cheerful”

Backpackers Vacation Inn and Plantation Village
Reviewed 13 July 2005

Well you only have to look at the website to see what its like.

Its cheap and good value, $25 a night 7th night free.

I stayed here at the end of a 12 month around the world trip and loved it!

Keep in mind I am 23 years of age, a surfer with limited funds!!!
Would i come here with children? nup
would i come here for a romantic time with partner? nup
would i come here to meet young fellow travellers, all on a budget, who are easy going happy people who think its amazing to be in the north shore?
Its a great place for young people on a budget.
I thought it was clean, but very old and run down but it added to its charm

I woke up every morning with gecko's?? walking around the room...i was scared of them but thought it was amazing!!!!

The bathroom is bad...i have to agree to that, but i guess travelling the world has mellowed me out a bit as it didnt bother me at all.

Stay here if you are young, looking to surf, or enjoy a true beach hawaii experience. Its quiet, visually beautiful area, cheap restaurants and lets you really experience Hawaii.

If you have never stayed in a hostel, backpackers before....DONT STAY HERE, IT IS NOT A BUDGET ACCOMMODATION, it is backpacker class and i just loved it!

Surfs Up!
xx

• Stayed: September 2002
4  Thank EJH

Reviewed 29 June 2005

Ok, let's get one thing straight, Backpackers Plantation Village are beach cabin bungalo's (see enclosed photo's) at one time I think they housed plantation workers families (thus the name). They are co-ed, dorm like and practically on the beach, maybe 100m from it. They are old, have a little sand on the tile floors, old appliances (which work well enough) and no tub baths, showers only. The last time I checked they went for @ $25 a night with the 7th nite free if you book a week. Roaches? yes. You are in the tropics, the state abounds in bugs of all kinds, get used to it, deal with it or stay away, please. Frankly I hesitated to write this review only for fear it might draw travelers here and lessen my chances of a reservation, I want it all for myself! This is the ultimate country hideaway, Oahu perhaps as it was in the 1950's. The chickens will crow at 6am and the local kitty's vie for your table scraps. The average age of fellow travelers is say, 25-35, very international, backpackers or surfers mostly. I have stayed here 6 seperate times and would not consider any place else. I love this place.
Expect what you pay for and you will not be disappointed, really. Relax and enjoy it, you too will be hooked! Aloha!

• Stayed: December 2004
4  Thank Capt_Musubi
Reviewed 18 February 2005

This hotel was NOT worth the ~$100/night that we paid to stay in it. We chose to stay in this hotel b/c we wanted to escape the crowds in Waikiki, but would have been much better off to just drive up for the day(s) we wanted to spend up there. We had one of the "suites" with a kitchenette. The beds were horribly uncomfortable (a thin, HARD, mattress with no boxsprings on a wooden slat frame), and the room wasn't very clean--toothpaste splatters on the bathroom mirror, an inch of dust on the fan blades, and a dirty floor. Everything in the room was dinged-up and very worn, and the last morning we found a small lizard on the extra bed we were using to put the luggage on! They even had the audacity to have a bowl with a "Tips for cleaners" note in it!! The beach view isn't impressive, and the noise from the never-ending (even at night!) traffic on the highway was usually louder than the noise of the waves.

• Stayed: January 2005
2  Thank CADP
Reviewed 24 January 2005

This is the most disgusting hole I have ever come across in 25 years of traveling. I had booked the ocean front suite. The filth was shocking. Black mold growing extensively up the walls of the tub. The tub was supposed to be white but I don't know if it was ever cleaned. The scum, dirt, slime was so thick. There was someone elses towel on the bathroom floor still full of sand and muck. The toilet had a ring around it and the sink hadn't been cleaned either. The room had been 'cleaned' as there was a clean sheet on the bed ..but no mattress pad no mattress cover nothing to keep you form everyone who slept before you on this well used mattress covered by a thin sheet. The floor hadn't been cleaned as there were rodent sized dustballs everywhere. The kitchenette hadn't been even wiped down...everything was sticky and the fridge still had dried food spills and smelled horrible. The kicker was...there are warnings to lock your room everywhere and the doorwall screen to the balcony wasn't even attached so it fell right off. There was a baseball size hole in the screen too, so you couldn't have fresh air (there is no central air) and you could not secure your room without suffocating in it. Suffocating in stench and germs, not a good place to stay in my book. When I complained to the staff, he said no refunds. I guess they expect you to accept thir poor excuse for an accommodation. Their "no refund policy" not only covers no shows but also insure a new policy of "so what" if it is not clean. When I told the staff that the only thing that looks like it was done was to put a different thin sheet on the bed his response was "you are probably right". I am challenging the charge on my credit card. This place is disgusting. Oh, and the location..it is ocean front but your view is blocked by vegetation and to get to the beach you have to leave the building..walk out to the street and around to get to a small rocky cove.

3  Thank callk2sell
St. Peter, MN
Reviewed 14 July 2004

I stayed in Backpackers suites on Three Tables Beach with my son and mother-in-law for a week in 2001. My first thought was, "What have I done?, because it definitely was a "rustic" environment. But, my only other Hawaii experience had been in the Waikiki area in '97 and I was looking forward to something other than the Honolulu rat race (I love Honolulu, too, it just wasn't what I was after on this trip). The rooms were passably clean - a lot of corrosion on the appliances from the salt air, but no roaches or creepy-crawlies of any kind. The beds weren't terribly comfortable, but after acclimating to our surroundings for a day, we felt at home and totally enjoyed the entire experience. It's really all in your perspective. We loved watching the sunsets from our balcony overlooking the beach. I would say the suites are very charming in a beach-bum chic sort of way. I would stay there again in a heartbeat!

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Houston, TX
Reviewed 28 April 2004

We stayed at the suites, and fortunately, the sheets were clean and we did not see any roaches! (I was concerned after reading the review from MO.) The kitchen appliances could have used some attention (like new foil under the stove burners), and it seems that the mattresses were well worn, but overall I would stay there again. The best part was going to Foodland for coffee in the morning, then sitting on the beach at the Pipeline to watch the surfers. The North shore is a great place to relax. It's kind of a surfer-hippie environment; very laid back.

Wenatchee, WA
Reviewed 2 February 2004

WARNING! Do not rent these suites if you are expecting a 5-star experience with expensive restaurants and maid servie. If, however, you are looking for no crowds, local color, inexpensive restaurants, and a REAL Hawaii experience, this truly is awesome. It took us some about a day, some heavy cleaning, and a drive by the insanely crowded Honolulu beaches to overcome the negative aspects of the ambiance, but then we adjusted our attitudes and loved it. We had the beach to ourselves plus a few locals, and we were walking distance to Waiamea. Free boogie board and snorkel loans. Local restaurants are truly local and affordable. Great pizza, fish, burgers, etc. Saw whales from the deck and fell asleep to the sound of the pounding surf (natural air conditioning).

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Haleiwa
Turtle Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Kahuku
Kalani Hawaii Private Lodging
#1 of 1 in Sunset Beach
Waikiki
Waikiki Beachside Hostel
Waikiki Beachside Hostel
#13 of 46 in Honolulu

Been to Backpackers Vacation Inn and Plantation Village? Share your experiences!