“Covienent missing a few standard ammenities”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Haleiwa
Sharks Cove Rentals
Reviewed 5 March 2013

We had another hotel booked for our stay but needed 1 more night, so booked the deluxe room here. Clean room, comfortable bed, great view of the ocean. Wish they had supplied soap for the shower, remote for the TV, coffee for the coffee maker in the room, water for the room water cooler! No one in the office but did get live person on the phone, meet a very nice male housekeeper in the AM, gave us advise on leaving keys & departing. If you are looking to share a house with common kitchen BYO food and supplies clean & nice.

Room Tip: stayed in room 100, ocean view...also on the road, but fans & air conditioner buffered the sound...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 February 2013

I did not choose to stay in this "rental," but it was a booking as part of a group where we were told we were staying elsewhere. We stayed in the back house and it was awful. Small bugs and sugar ants could be found on every wall of the house. The bunk beds were missing pieces and had the most uncomfortable mattresses I've ever slept on. If you want fresh towels, forget it. If you want new toilet paper, walk up to the Foodland, buy your own, and hide it in your room. And good luck trying to get a hold of a housekeeper or owner because you are lucky if they are there anywhere between their hours of 10 and 2. Finally (and the worst part), is that there is a general area where people would congregate between the main house and the back house where our group stayed. Every night guys were outside smoking it up and getting high. As we were leaving, we were told that a family was going to stay in the back house. I hope they didn't have kids - what a way to introduce them to drug use.

I get the idea of a hostel, as I have spent a lot of time in Europe staying in them. However, I cannot think of a place I have stayed that has been worse than this one.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank AZHeel
Reviewed 27 January 2013

The property has three houses on it. The front house is the best of the three room, style, amenities and everything else wise. If you have money to spend, don't look beyond it. The middle house is for those on a budget. Each room has it's unique qualities/quirks. This house looks the most tired out of the three. The back house is in between the front and middle houses in every way quality/amenity wise. The front house has everything you need to cook inside and will keep you feeling comfortable. The middle house has two camping style gas cooking tops and a barbeque. The back house is like the front house, just a little more tacky. There is also a tent out the back that I hear is very luxurious for a tent (double bed, if that's any indication).

I stayed in the middle house as I was there for 3 weeks, on a budget. I stayed in room 302 most of the time. It has a bunk bed, but is the only room that has a double on the bottom. It is also equipped with an air con/fan. 301 and 303 are single bunk beds with fans only. I hear room 301 has a pretty uncomfortable bed. I found the bed in 302 to be the best. Room 301 is the smallest while 303 is the largest. All bedrooms have a chest of drawers, an array of towels, and strangely enough, toothbrushes.

The bathroom could use a reno. Very tired looking indeed! Tiles have come off here and there and the toilet ain't too pretty. You'll be shocked when you first get there, but if you're staying a while you get used to it. No kettle in the kitchen. Share fridge (obviously). Two sofas and a dodgy TV. The main hangout spot is right outside the middle house, which is cool when there's a few people that want to have a chat and a general good time. Quiet time is supposedly at 9pm, but that's rarely adhered to. There are quite a few parking spots on the property too. Bit of a tight squeeze though. Hire a small car if you can while staying at Sharks Cove. You barely hear any noise from the road in any of the houses. I was there for the Pipe Masters (meaning hectic traffic more often than not), so that's saying something.

Anyway, the main reason you stay here is for the surf. You're East of Waimea by about a 5 minute bike ride away and West of Pipe by about a 10 minute ride. We're talking a casual ride. Hiring a bike is a must while you're at Sharks Cove! Most things are no further away than a 10min ride. And you don't want to hire a car while Pipe is on. No parking and Kam hwy comes to a stand still very easily.

Back to Shark's Cove. The owners are easy going and friendly. The father, son and cleaner all have the same name. One of those funny quirks to the place. Also, get to know the housemaids - they know people! Very interesting talking to them about all things surf and surfers on the North shore. Free wifi too. The place gets 4 stars because although it's looking pretty tired, it really is the location and the people you get the joy of meeting while you're there that make it. If you can afford the better houses, I'm sure you'd agree after staying there that it's worth all 5 stars.

Room Tip: If you're going for the budget options, go for room 302 if you can get it. If not, go 303 and t...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank flintified
Reviewed 25 January 2013

IMHO one cannot travel to O'ahu and not stay on the North Shore. So when I looked on tripadvisor about six months before I traveled to O'ahu Sharks Cove stood out for someone traveling on a budget and so I booked a room with them for a week.
Located at Pupukea Beach Park literally just around the corner from Waimea Bay and hardly a mile away from the Banzai Pipeline you almost cannot pick a more perfect spot. Sharks Cove Rentals has the look and feel of a hostel really, with bunk bed private rooms and shared bathroom facilities but because it just has 10 rooms or so you quickly get to meet your neighbors, hang out with them on the lanai while preparing your food on the open fire stove tops and/or barbeque grill and because there seems to be quite a turnover in guests you can make a lot of new acquaintances in a short time.
Housekeeping was generally on top of things and although the management seemed laid back and easy going they are professional and helpful yet decisive. If asked I'd certainly recommend this place to backpackers and surfers, not so much to honeymooners though.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank biosfear
Reviewed 9 December 2012

Let me start off by saying that first time I stayed here (over a year ago) I wrote a review and it was totally accurate. I went back last August and things are not so good anymore. If you're 18-25 and living out of a backpack, it's perfect. If you are safety conscious, have valuables, like to use average appliances, don't like to share with bugs, and want some sort of management on the property, then go somewhere else. This property is situated directly on the highway across from Sharks Cove beach area...which is one of the areas hit regularly by Meth Addicts looking for loot to sell. Yes, this property has a stockade fence pull gate...but if it's left open (regularly) then what good does it do? Again, if you have nothing worth stealing, this place is perfect.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank cidkent
Reviewed 12 November 2012

I was staying with a friend in Honolulu and we decided, on a whim, to come to the north shore and stay a night. We found this little place and the owner gave us the "locals discount". About $100 for the night. Shared living room and bathroom situation with a private room with bunk beds. Directly across from the house is a little path that leads to a fairly secluded public beach. The access is off the main road, sort of tucked behind a few houses. Impressive Pipeline not far away.

So to sum it up, if you don't mind sharing a bathroom and living room, then you have a great deal. Nice father and son owners to boot!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 September 2012

Please snorkeled at sharks Cove for two days. Both days we rented our equipment here. The equipment was all in good shape and works great. Before we got started the guys gave us instructions on how to use everything and where exactly to go. They even walked us across the street and told us where to go down to see the most fish. It was an amazing experience as soon as you got in the water there were tropical fish everywhere. We even came into contact with two turtles one of which swam toward my face and got as close as 9 inches. I was able to touch him. I can't imagine having a better time snorkeling anywhere. And the guys at the shop really helped. Their prices were reasonable and they told you where to park so that she would not get your valuables stolen out of your car.

• Stayed: August 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Haleiwa
Courtyard by Marriott Oahu North Shore
#1 of 1 in Kahuku
Kalani Hawaii Private Lodging
Kalani Hawaii Private Lodging
#1 of 1 in Sunset Beach

Been to Sharks Cove Rentals? Share your experiences!