“Shady liars”

Surf Hawaii Surf School
More attraction details
Owner description: Let surfing enhance your life! Surf Hawaii - Surf School is one of the most respected surfing school in Hawaii and on the North Shore of Oahu. The owner Edison de Paula is the head coach, with more then 25 years of experience. We teach surfing lessons, stand up paddle lessons and we run our Surf Camps designed to enable surfers of all ages and skill levels to live the dream of riding waves on the beautiful beaches of Hawaii. Surfing with Edison and his team of professional instructors is an exhilarating, healthy and natural experience available on the North Shore of Oahu. See what a difference professional surf instruction and the latest technology can make. Edison's surf school, a qualified professional surf coach that will make your dreams of surfing a reality! They are carefully selected, experienced instructors and experts in surfing. Our surf instructors are Lifeguards, CPR and First Aid certified.
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Called and asked for private lessons. Paid for a week private lessons with email and receipt proof of private lessons. Showed up and there were 2 other people in the group. When I called to complain Edison lied, I threatened to cancel the rest of the lessons. Offered me a complimentary lesson since he was lying, which I reluctantly accepted. Then on the last day of the paid lessons, he says he will not be giving the complimentary lesson because when Edison gets in the water, he is worth 2 lessons. Regarding the lessons, there is no teaching. It was never the entire 3 hours promised, most sessions lasted no more than 1.5 hours. It was so bad in fact another instructor from another school with 1 kid saw how bad I was paddling and gave me tips while the instructor I paid for didn't do any teaching. Later I complained about being ripped off and he threatens me with filing a police report for spreading truth about this corrupt school. This place is a rip-off intended to rip off foreigners. I'll be happy to email all my documentation proof to anyone regarding this place.

11  Thank TravelerT2
Jennifer H, Owner at Surf Hawaii Surf School, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Thank you for providing a review. We are so sorry that you had a bad experience, and we sincerely apologize for any misunderstanding in regards to your surf lessons. It is very important to us that our customers enjoy their surf lessons and have a positive experience in their dealings with Surf Hawaii Surf School, LLC. If a complimentary lesson was promised to you, we would like to honor that promise, and if you were not satisfied with your lessons, we are happy to refund you in full. Please email me your documentation as I have double-checked all our records and we have no email, PayPal, credit card, or telephone documentation of a booking for a week of private lessons or a week of group lessons in June 2013. Again, we are happy to refund you if you can provide proof of payment. Thank you again for taking the time to provide a review.

Reviewed 6 February 2014

It's already 3 times that I have been to this surfcamp and I could never ask for anything better! All teachers are amazing surfers and they will get you on your first wave with simple instructions.

The place to stay (Jenni's) is nothing short of a paradise (includes a jaccuzzi at the terrace with a breath-taking view) and besides surfing, it is the best reason to go back there every time. People are super friendly and fun, they show you the best of Hawaii and they make the experience of Hawaii a life-changing one.

I cannot recommend this place enough! I will keep going there again and again, though I leave on the other side of the globe. I just love it!

Reviewed 16 December 2013

We had an awesome time with Edison as he taught us how to surf. Edison was very professional, had everything we needed to have a great day learning to surf. He made sure we found the best location with the appropriate waves for our inexperience east coast family. Although I never could get up on the board, Edison was patient with me and tried really hard to keep me excited about being out there. My husband and 20 year old son had no problems keeping up and riding the waves of the North Shore.

1  Thank mickeyfan69
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I just came back from this 4-day hawaii surfing lesson with all the satisfaction of my dream realization. I have to owe my truly hearted thanks to Edision, who aided me with the conquest to my fear to the ocean and also with the enjoyment of standing on the surfing board, being chased by waves. Following Edison's instruction, surfing dream came to be reality sort of easily. That should be one of the most beautiful moments in my life. And I think that's just a beginning of my surfing experience, and that of the friendship with Edison as well.

2  Thank daoming l
Reviewed 26 May 2013

I booked the surf camp stay for a week in august 2012. After searching the internet for hours i finally found an overnight surf camp in Haleiwa, Oahu! And i'm sooo glad i booked my trip to Edisons surf camp!
I had such a great time, surfing everyday with Edison or Bruno - the great instructors. Even though I travelled alone I wasn't bored, because of the including extra activities, such as yoga, SUP, beach and island tour, sunset barbeque and I spent some time with the others guests at the camp.

I will pick this surf school / camp again the next time i travel to hawaii, and i recommend it to everyone who is considering taking a surf lesson on Oahu - beginner or not, or if you are staying for a week or more at the surf camp!

Warning: if you surf once, you might be hooked for life... I know I am!! ;-)

7  Thank Camilla M