“Great experience”

Happy Trails Hawaii
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Aloha! Please join us as we celebrate our 25th year of providing a top quality guest experience on Oahu's scenic north shore of Hawaii. Nestled on the hilltop above picturesque Waimea bay, our well trained horses and professional guides escort you through our hidden island paradise. Explore nature's rustic charm as you ride along trails that weave through sun-filtered forests, fern laced valleys and organic tropical fruit orchards. Enjoy a "taste of Hawaii" as you sample our seasonal ranch grown varieties of bananas, guava, star and passion fruit. Capture panoramic ocean and mountain views at scenic vistas along your trail ride. Come, share in our spirit of aloha and the pleasure of horseback riding with Happy Trails Hawaii.
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great experience”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Our family went on July 4. Three of us had never ridden before. The folks at Happy Trails were just terrific from the first phone call they were friendly & informative. With traffic we ended up being about 5 minutes late for our ride ... they actually waited for us!! The two handlers were terrific with my kids, especially my youngest who was a little scared at first. Now she talks about the trail ride as one of her favorite parts of our trip (surfing won out over the horses). Totally worth the money and you get an experience seeing the island you couldn't get any way else. Thanks to Mark, Cindy and team!!

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Jen S

• Korean first
Tampa, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Magical!”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This was our first time on Oahu, and we wanted to ride horses while we were there to see the "real" Oahu, and not the commercialism of Waikiki where we were staying. We saw the wonderful reviews of this place, and it didn't disappoint! The staff is wonderful. Mark, the owner, is so caring and goes out of his way to make everyone feel welcome and comfortable. Really important for us, as our youngest son is on the autism spectrum. Our first ride was cancelled due to rain and the safety factor, and our son was very disappointed. Mark made sure our son understood we would be coming back for another ride, which horse he would be riding, and even took the time to let him bond with the horse before we left. The next day was better weather, and we took a beautiful ride through the forest canopy and up onto the overlook where we could see all the way to the ocean! The horses are gorgeous and well-cared for - no bits are used. They are gentle and easy to ride. My son was able to ride without a lead for the first time! Our entire family had a super time. Mark went out of his way to help our youngest - definitely kid and special needs friendly! If you go, just breathe in the scents of the forest, and enjoy the sound of the wind through the trees. What an incredible way to enjoy the true Oahu.

Visited July 2014
2 Thank Jennifer J
Moline, Illinois
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“June 24th-July 2nd”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Happy Trails Hawaii is amazing !! Happy Trails is the place to go for a down to earth tour with amazing sites. The owner/guide Mark makes you feel at home. The retired Polo Ponies are beautiful and make for a great ride !! This ride is for any level. The tour is through areas of Hawaii you will never see anyplace else. The trees and views are amazing. It is great to see the horses in a natural environment, grazing all around. This is a must go to place !! We loved it so much we went twice during our stay ! We rode at three different locations while staying in Oahu and Happy Trails takes the prize. When you call to make your reservations the first questions they ask is your height and weight, which was a surprise to me, since having rode at numerous different trail ride facilities over the years, this was the first one to make sure they would have a saddle equipped to make your ride, comfortable and pleasurable. I loved the fact that they had Australian ranch saddles, so much more comfortable than a western saddle but easier for beginners not familiar with an English saddle. Thumbs up and six stars for Happy Trails Hawaii !!!

South Carolina
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Not So Happy Trails”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We did the afternoon ride. Do look in the various Oahu magazines in the airport for a $5 discount per person. (The clever family on the tour before ours had them!) Happy Trails is home to former polo ponies, so at least you know your touron dollars our going for their upkeep, a worthy cause. If you are expecting vast expanses of ocean or Waimea Valley vistas, you are really going to be disappointed, I’m afraid. There is a quick peak into the valley, if someone remembers to tell you when to quick look left, and a photo-op on a ridge with an ocean backdrop at the very end of the ride. That said, the trip through the forest was fragrant and peaceful. The two guides were OK, but I thought Diane in reception was really friendly and lovely. Unfortunately, I was next to last and the guide riding last kept nudging her horse into mine, as it was lagging behind a bit. The horse got cranky and finally turned around and took a bite out of my leg, which was all it could reach. The guide grabbed me hydrogen peroxide and a big band aide when we got back to the stable—and was very apologetic. Now, I am of a mindset that ‘stuff happens,’ even on vacation in paradise, alas. But it made for painful walking for the rest of our vacation, and I was just super grateful it was me and not our 10 year old son. Finally, I would have welcomed a call or an email from the management to just see how I was doing, but neither was forthcoming.

5 Thank ProfLuvCruzin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very professional”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

As a lifelong equestrian I was very impressed with the care of the horses and the attentiveness that was given to the riders. I took my six year old granddaughter for her first horseback ride and she never felt scared or frightened while riding. Overall, a very positive experience!