“One of the best Thai food ever!”
Review of Opal Thai - MOVED

Opal Thai
Price range: US$15 - US$30
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Full service BYOB
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We actually tried to go there on the 4th of July but it seemed to have been closed, then on the 5th we went - and noticed a sign "we will open at 5 PM". We did not give up, killed some time at the waterfall and came back just after 5.
Opal talks with every customer, asks a few questions:
Is this your first time here?
Do you like Thai food?
Are you okay with spicy?
Name 5 Thai dishes
etc. etc.

And then he chose the dishes for us (after explaining why do I not east Seafood).

Interestingly, we would have ordered Phat Thai and Green Curry anyway and this is what we got - perfect match, and they gave our baby some rice to keep him busy.

The service was great, and the food amazing.
I have had home made Thai food in the past, and this was close.
Can't recommend this enough.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

We were very excited to try Opal Thai and is did not disappoint! The place is sort of a hole in the wall, tiny and busy. Like previous reviews have stated, the owner pretty much orders for you but honestly that is what made it so good! We actually ended up going twice in our 5 day trip we loved it so much. Opal is so friendly and chatted with us like old friends. The food was incredible, probably the best Thai I have ever had. Everything was so fresh and flavorful. If you are uncomfortable having to talk with people you don't know or trusting a chef to order for you then this place isn't for you. I cannot wait to return to the North Shore to eat at Opal Thai again!

1  Thank bricor435
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

I don't understand why so many people are bashing Opal's because of the way he runs his business. I knew before going that I shouldn't bother looking at the menu.

Anyway! I love this place. It's a different experience every time.

It's BYOB with free table service which is awesome.

Get there when the restaurant opens or you'll most likely have to wait.

I'll leave you with a tip I heard from Opal, "If you see a lime, squeeze it!"

Reviewed 18 June 2014

We would like to see this local place succeed, but once again - on our third visit - it did not succeed with us. The owner is still pushy, taking away our menus. The food is only so-so. For better food, go next door to L&L. For much better Thai food, go a few miles away to Phuket Thai in Mililani.

7  Thank Hawaii-Biker
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We saw this restaurant on Food Network and being a Thai food enthusiast, I had to try it. The first day we went, we did a take out. The second time we dined in. The owner came to our table to introduce himself and pretty much picked all of our selections for us, even for our kids. All of the dishes were delicious. Highly recommend this place!