“Interesting adventure for supper!”
Review of Opal Thai - MOVED

Opal Thai
Price range: US$15 - US$30
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Full service BYOB
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We were caught off guard by the "ordering" process, but went with it anyway. The food was really good, even if not what I would have actually ordered for myself. One of the dishes may have been the best Thai dish I have ever tasted. The servers that bring your food and drinks are friendly and efficient. Your ice water will never be empty!

Reviewed 21 August 2014

You've seen the DDD episode, you've read the reviews. Can it really be that good? Yes, it is and having the chef come and talk with your table, the byob policy and friendly service really makes the entire experience very memorable. It really goes beyond the food. Do not miss the garlic wings or the tube of rice to get every last drop of the delicious sauce. The heat on the curry was perfect so even my 12 year old enjoyed all the delicious dishes.

The cash only policy is a drag and we were lucky we did not have to do dishes to pay for our lunch. Just kidding but it is something you need to prepare for as we don't usually carry a lot of cash on vacation.

Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

Owner is rude the food sucks and he won't even bring what you ordered and he forces you to still pay. He does it to save money by making you eat leftovers. The only reason it gets good reviews is because he talks to you and pretends to want to bring you what he thinks you will like.. It's really just what's been sitting in The kitchen .. Which is usually gross anyway. Go to haleiwa eats! Waaaay better . So DO NOT EAT HERE.

9  Thank Erikgagon
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I came to the North Shore twice to try Opal's Thai food. My first visit was a bomb!!! That was because I went on a Monday. His restaurant is closed Sundays and Mondays. I would have come both days regardless. He gave us the "Freestyle" menu! That is Opalese for your eating what I think you should eat. Normally I'm not a fan of the Communist method of eating but you must show some faith sometimes so I went with it. Needless to say he was ON! Food was not only spectacular it was authentic. I brought my mother in-law who knows a thing or two about Asian food. He was friendly and very approachable. He said actually wanted my Powell and Peralta Old School workmen's shirt. Sorry Opal there's very limited supply of these suckers and mine is staying with me buddy but I'll take you out for food if you are ever in Toronto. You have my email address. Stay in touch... Joe

Reviewed 13 August 2014

I am not sure how much I can add that has not been said by others. Just accept that Opal knows what he is talking about. My only disappointment is that I did not order the Garlic wings in addition to his suggestions. The owner is quite a character and is part of the experience of coming here.