“My first real surfing lesson: what a blast!”

Buttons Surf School
Reviewed 17 April 2013

I had a fantastic time! Buttons is a great teacher and just a really good guy with a good heart (he does a lot of volunteer work, helping disabled children and children with cystic fibrosis learn to surf). Everybody knows him, and every time I was paddling back to him after I rode a wave (yes, he had me riding waves right away), I saw him helping little kids and beginner surfers. He runs the school with his wife, and his adorable kids are always with them. He is calming and encouraging at the same time. At any age (I'm 43), you will have a really fun time.

Reviewed 7 April 2013

I have to admit I know nothng about surfing or surfers. we werent going to bother but as we're moving to Sydney in a few months thougt it would be a good idea to give the kids a taster. I didnt realise when we booked this who buttons was or what his contribution had been to surfing - but the autograph hunters that kept coming up to him gave us a clue that he was something special!
We wimped out but our 7+9 year olds loved every second of this and were both up and riding the waves all the way in within minutes. Buttons and his staff were friendly, professional and we trusted out kids with them completely. He told us he already rides with his 18 month old and I believe him! He was just so good with the kids.
The beach they use is gorgeous and popular with families. I just dont see what more we could have asked -- dont hesitate to book this if you're considering it. I should mention he was the best value we found as well.
Thanks guys for landing us with two surf obsessed kids!

1  Thank markdruid
Reviewed 16 March 2013

My husband and I booked a private lesson with Buttons after a friend absolutely would not let me leave Hawaii without one. I was actually excited because I am always up for a little adventure. My husband was convinced he wasn't going to be able to get up and wasn't looking forward to it. Buttons was extremely patient and very personable. We had a quick land lesson and then out to the water we went. We had big surfboards that were easy to stand up on. The first wave Buttons sent my husband on, he was up and riding it all the way in. He continued to ride every wave Buttons set up for him. Me on the other hand, got up every time but fell often too. I told my husband it was because I have more junk in my trunk which pulled me off my board. Haha.
Overall it was an enjoyable day and learning to surf with a legend was awesome. Whether you are a beginner or have been surfing for a while it's a great experience. There were some amazing surfers out there that were still asking Buttons for advice. Do it, you won't regret it!

Reviewed 5 January 2013

Me and my wife visited the famous North shores of Oahu for my 41st birthday. I finally decided to try my 1st surfing experience. I was very lucky to have a true legend of Pro surfer as my instructor.. Buttons is very nice person with a big heart. He wasn't just collecting the fee. He is really care about you and he would make sure that you are having the blast catching the wave. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.. It was one of the best experience in my life.. Surfing is cool and I love it... The best part above all that is the opportunity to get to know you.. a true legend..

1  Thank Okky P
Reviewed 17 December 2012

Buttons was more concerned about getting us in the water and starting than he was about collecting fees. I'm 49 and got up first try (I had to keep up with my adult sons). Buttons explanations were simple, but effective, and he'd showed us what we needed to do or adjust to get up. And his crew was very helpful and friendly. We had a great time! If you want to learn to surf, let Buttons and his team show you how.