“Fantastic beachfront location!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Haleiwa
Ke Iki Beach Bungalows
Mililani Town, Hawaii, United States
“Fantastic beachfront location!”
Reviewed 26 March 2013

Breathtaking view of Ke Iki beach. Clean rooms, available amenities, friendly staff. Great staycation spot for kamaaina (local residents). Relaxing atmosphere! We watched waves crash and whales swim, jump, and play in the distance.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sam J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Texas
Reviewed 16 March 2013

Stayed 3 nights mid February 2013

I would give this place 10 stars for location if I could. We stayed in the Lilikoi apartment right on the beach, to the sounds and colors of huge breakers 24 hours a day. A bit dangerous to swim unless you know how to handle large breakers, once a lifeguard and made us backup even thought water was just over our ankles. There is a bit of a problem with privacy, but not enough to ruin our stay. Insides are a bit dated and could use some makeover. There was a “full kitchen” as Greg noted, (no dishwasher) and utensils, plus a grill outside for BBQ. There is no AC, but we stayed cool with the windows open. (There are fans in the apartment). There is a black cat welcoming party, and birds come very close for feeding crumbs, etc. There is a small grocery nearby. We would stay here again and hope to book another room soon. Stay in a beach side apartment if at all possible. There is a safer beach for swimming just down the road from the bungalows.

Room Tip: The honeymoon suite is a 2d floor apartment with loads of privacy. Get a beach front apartment if a...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mrqcace
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed 1 March 2013 via mobile

Oh sure, you could stay at some plastic resort with fake torches... or, you could come and watch in wonder as huge waves break onto the beach out your front door. Staying at Ke Iki Beach Bungalows is the Hawaii you are looking for... and will rarely find. A small collection of well kept bungalows right on the beach. You just don't hear the surf, you can feel it pounding beneath your feet.

Greg, the owner, has it down. He is helpful without being intrusive. He is a genuinely nice guy as opposed to some bored desk clerk at a mega-resort who just wants you to go away.

The beach is awesome. Uncrowded and right in front of you.

A decent grocery sore is an easy/pleasant walking distance. Have dinner at your bungalow and watch the surf pound in.

I suspect most travelers staying at Ke Iki Beach Bungalows are repeat customers. We are ... and we will be back again. We have been to a series of islands in Hawaii and have settled in at returning to the North Shore of Oahu simply to come back to Ke Iki Beach.

Stayed February 2013
6 Thank Ed R
Huntingdon. UK
Reviewed 10 February 2013

I couldn’t sleep. There was no point. I was back in my idea of paradise. I hadn’t been here for a year, and here I was on my first night and it was everything I could ever have asked for.

It won’t be like this when you check in at the Orchid suite at Ke Iki Beach Bungalows. It’s rarely this perfect. Perfect for me, that is.

The Trade Windows are ruffling my hair as I sit on the balcony. My wife is by my side. We listen and peer into the dark night. For a moment, all is quiet. Too quiet. Then, in the distance you hear the beginnings of what will rapidly build into a series of shockwave explosions. Waves with 25-foot faces are lining up to pound the Ke Iki Beach shoreline.

Brilliant. Amazing. Awesome!

This is no small ripple on the ocean that will be the case when you arrive. This ‘symphony orchestra’ of sound is the consequence of a storm way, way out in the Pacific.

The explosions and roaring are in full stereo sound, starting in the right ear and the wave begins to break like a machinegun. Then there’s a ‘crack’ and a thundering smash as the wave detonates what seems like a few feet away dead ahead. To the left, there’s any altogether different rapid-fire series of thunderclaps about to be fired into my eardrum.

But you won’t experience any of this. I’ve recorded the sound if you want a copy. I have a 90-minute DVD that we call ‘Ke Iki with the lights off’. We’ll play it when it’s dark at home and we can’t sleep.

When you visit, the sea will more than likely just offer a small ripple of a wave. But that’s why we’re here in February when we can hopefully anticipate a giant swell or two.

This particular sea monster started to build late yesterday. In the morning I know I’ll be greeted by blazing hot sunshine and a chance to see the waves in all their glorious shades of blues and greens, with white foamy thundering ‘washes’ when they break and surge up the beach.

Greg and the owners have made a lot of changes around here – all for the better – since last year. There’s a new security gate to stop strangers walking in off the street, and new tarmac parking areas.

The room is the same as ever. Why change it?

No, it isn’t a five star hotel. It’s a collection of very well equipped ‘houses’ spread around the site, with the ones at the front giving you the perfect view of the sea and, in season, the Giant Humpbacks breaching out to see. We saw 20 breaches yesterday on our first day.

If you want a five-star hotel, then please stay at home and don’t moan when you get here and say that x and y is wrong. Yes, perhaps your bed here is ‘not like yours at home’. It won’t be. Beds are NEVER like yours at home. This is a holiday rental that, to my mind, should be double the price for the location alone.

No, there is no air con! Open the windows and let the Trade Winds blow through your house and your head. You are no in some sanitised concrete jungle!

And if you see some bug or other, is it the end of the world? No. This is the Tropics!

Ke Iki (as a beach and as a resort) is unique. It’s also my idea of perfection. But not in summer- for me! Yes, it will be a few degrees warmer. Yes, you will be able to snorkel. You may love that serenity and spend your days reading some awful book!

No, there isn’t an amusement park close by. No, there is NOTHING to do. And that’s the way I like it. Miles of sand, blue ocean and, at night, every star in the Universe will bathe you in light.

For me, Ke Iki’s magic - is to be found when the waves, whales and occasional storms visit the island. Stand outside in the tropical rains and thrill to be alive and not in your humdrum world at home. You’ll be back there, soon enough.

I’m off to bed now. I’ll let the sounds of the ocean take me, my head and my heart into their safe keeping. I’ll awake in the morning and feel truly excited to be alive!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
14 Thank DavidLongman
Reviewed 1 February 2013

I would be tempted to: No coffee packets in the room, no shampoo, conditioner, uncomfortable bed, cheap sheets and flat pillows, no air conditioner, no dvd player, thin walls between bathrooms, uncomfortable couch, large crowd on check-in, and the last night Noisy neighbors outside our room into the late hours! The buildings are older, basic and rustic but well maintained and clean. Ok it is not run quite as tight as most resort hotels we have stayed in but the Manager was very helpful and provided us with a big bucket of coffee grounds and other items that we requested.

Being right on Sunset Beach was great. You can't beat the location with the waves crashing right outside your room. The grounds were lush and tropical, maintained with a large paved patio in front of the Hibiscus unit we stayed in. We enjoyed using the bbq and enjoying our dinners with a sunset view. I would consider going with another family or group and try to get the two adjoining bungalows for more privacy. With a few upgrades this place would be nicer and probably much more expensive. Go here and enjoy - the positives far outweigh the negatives. I only listed the shortcomes so that travelers would know what to expect.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Socalpa
Mona Vale, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 13 January 2013

We stayed at Keiki Beach Bungalows in the Bird of Paradise oceanfront bungalow from Dec 5-15.
We came to watch the Pipeline Surfing contest and you could not have got a better spot to stay for that purpose - a 10 minute walk to Pipeline which, as the traffic and parking are horrendous during the contest, made life easy.
The view from our bungalow was magic, and the patio was a perfect spot to enjoy an afternoon drink watching the sunset.
The kitchen was well set up, wifi worked well (which was good to log into the surf site first thing each morning to see if the contest was on),comfortable bed, an easy to use large safe in the bedroom, flat screen TV and free use of push bikes. We didn't hire a car so used the bikes on a couple of days to explore the area- lunch at Haliewa and a snorkel at Turtle Bay.We also snorkelled a couple of times at Shark Cove - some turtles and some very pretty fish and no sharks.
A well stocked Foodland was an easy 5-10 minute walk which sold all your food and alcohol needs with a Starbucks attached which made excellent coffee. The eating out options were limited without a car- there are no taxis and the local hourly bus doesn't really run to timetable!!. The Shark Cove diner van was just OK- the Pupukea van was pretty good but closed about 5. The best diner van operated during the surfing - a Mexican food van - I think Chico- great shrimp burritos!!
The owner Greg was very helpful.
It's not a five star resort, so if you expect that you'll be disappointed but if your after a quiet beautiful spot on the beach (no pool) you'll love it as we did.
Very, very different to Waikiki - absolutely no high rise - country on the beach.

Room Tip: The beachfront rooms are worth the price- quieter and the view is magic.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Debby M R
Tempe, Arizona
Reviewed 13 December 2012

Beautiful on the beach property. Beach is not crowded -- just gorgeous. The bungalows are rustic but fine overall. Greg manages the property and is a pleasure to deal with. Nice grass area between the beach and ocean front bungalows.

Room Tip: There is a house next to the bungalows that can also be rented.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Judson B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Haleiwa
Waikiki
#1 of 1 in Kahuku
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,727 reviews
Kalani Hawaii Private Lodging
#1 of 1 in Sunset Beach

Been to Ke Iki Beach Bungalows? Share your experiences!