“Best beachside massage I ever had.. We arrived with cronic necks from traveling”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Haleiwa
Ke Iki Beach Bungalows
Reviewed 14 October 2005

We arrived feeling very low on energy and with sore necks. We scheduled a massage with Maureen who does a beachside therapy on the property. She was awesom and cheap. Maureen really knows how to fix you up. We were ever so appreciative of her services. We highly recommend giving her a call upon arrival.

Thanks Maureen for extending yourself to us...much Aloha Tiffany

• Stayed October 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Reviewed 30 September 2005

We had a great time at the cottages. One of the highlights was being able to have a massages with Maureen outside listening to the waves.

We will definately be back

• Stayed September 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 24 September 2005

This was the first time to stay at Keiki Beach Bungalows. I could have great time with my friends there. Location is the best! Especially beach is just front. We could go anytime we wanted. I hope I'll be back next summer.

• Stayed September 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Asharoken, LI
Reviewed 23 September 2005

Having already been to Honolulu and Waikiki several times, my family (wife, three boys ages 11, 9, and 5) decided to bypass the big city altogether and traveled straight from the airport to Oahu’s fabled North Shore. We made our base at Ke Iki Beach Bungalows, which is in Sunset Beach, about 15 minutes north of Hale'iwa. For a family of our size, it was a tremendous value. It is very well-run, very well-kept, and spacious for the price.

The Ke Iki Beach Bungalows are right on a spectacular beach. This is the area that gets monster waves in the winter. 10-15 footers are not uncommon. That means the wave face is 20-30 feet. Imagine surfing down a wave the height of your house. In the summer the surf is more like 1-3 feet, but it still made for fun and challenging body surfing.

We arrived at the Ke Iki Beach Bungalows at around 4pm. I met the proprietor, Greg Gerstenberger, and told him I had seen the movie “The Big Bounce”, which was filmed on location at this hotel a couple of years earlier. I started to tell him, “I love Owen Wilson, I love Morgan Freeman”, and he interrupted “…but it ------, right?” “Yeah” I said. “I mean, I love Elmore Leonard and I love the North Shore, and it should have been a great movie…” he interrupted again, “…but it ------” I said, “Yeah!”. So it goes to prove that you never know how a movie will turn out, but if you’re planning a visit to Ke Iki, you can check out what it looks like by renting “The Big Bounce”. But it -----.

Ke Iki Beach Bungalows, on the other hand, doesn’t. It was great. Very clean, comfortable accommodations on that great beach. Wonderful location. Fair price. For you cyclists, walkers and runners, there is a very pleasant, largely shaded roadside bike path that runs about 2 miles north and about 2 miles south of there.

We stayed in Hibiscus, which is a two bedroom/one bath. There was a small sitting room with a tv set. There was a full kitchen (and a pretty good, non-rip-off supermarket about a mile down the road). We saved quite a few dollars by fixing breakfast in the bungalow instead of eating out in the morning.

The door from the sitting room opens out to a concrete patio that has a charcoal BBQ grill and a picnic table. Just beyond the patio are hammocks and a beautiful golden sand, uncrowded beach. The whole property is very pretty and Greg is accommodating and friendly. This is a very well run place.

There’s lots to do in the area. Waimea Bay is about 5 minutes south. Just behind it is the Waimea Audubon Reserve. In winter you can gawk at the surf and the surfers (we were there in summer, but I’ve been in the area in December, and it is truly awesome). The Polynesian Cultural Center is about 30 minutes around the north end of Oahu. And about 5 minutes south of Ke Iki was a place called Laniakea Beach. It’s somewhat famous because it’s become a favorite spot for sea turtles. The turtles just hang out on the beach through the afternoon and at about 10-11pm they turn around and slip back into the water. Everyone (meaning everyone but one person that we saw) was respectful of these beautiful creatures. People maintained their distance and didn’t touch. One of the locals told me they were trying to keep the turtles' presence a secret, but the world is catching on. Of course it doesn't help their "secret" that they have taken to calling it "Turtle Beach" instead of Laniakea.

There’s also some very good snorkeling in the area at a spot called Shark’s Cove, which is just north of Laniakea Beach. Despite the name, there weren’t any sharks there and from what I’ve heard, there rarely if ever are any. The name refers to a rock formation in the cove.

The main town in the area is Hale'iwa. It's a very cool, funky little town. Good restaurants, interesting shops, and don’t miss out on Matsumoto’s Shave Ice.

I love Waikiki for its energy and fun, but if you’re thinking of skipping Oahu because you don’t want to travel 2500 miles just to encounter a big chunk of concrete, think again. The North Shore is a world apart and definitely worth your time. I can think of no better place from which to explore it than Ke Iki Beach Bungalows.

• Stayed August 2005
13 Thank Bellybones
Reviewed 22 September 2005

Imagine waking up to the sound of waves cascading onto a lovely beach. A hammock strung between two palms with the ocean behind. Rainbows in an arc across the sky. These are accomodations grounded in the fabric of the "country" side of the North Shore. We found excellent shells on the beach in front of Ke Iki Beach Bungalows including two rare Sunrise Shells. Our "bungalow" was separated by a party wall with another unit. I recommend Ke Iki Beach Bungalows to people looking for a unique location, casual atmosphere and reasonable rates.

• Stayed February 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Illinois
Reviewed 16 August 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Ke Iki Beach Bungalows from May 5-9. One of my friends got married at Ke Iki and most of her guests stayed at the bungalows. These bungalows are very quaint. My husband and I had a newly renovated bungalow that was well furnished, had a great kitchenette, and was very comfortable (even without AC).

The beach is amazing! It is practically your own private beach and Greg and Annie, the managers, have beach mats, kayaks, etc. for you to borrow. The beach is big and the sand is beautiful and natural (unlike Waikiki beach, which is man-made and fairly narrow). There are four hammocks under some palm trees (on the top of the beach) that provide hours of relaxation. My husband and I went down to the beach at night to check out the stars and to listen to the ocean waves crashing on to shore. It was awesome! My husband and I have been to beaches in Florida, South Carolina, Cancun (Mexico), and now Oahu (in Oahu, we went to Waikiki Beach and the JW Marriott Resort). We rate Ke Iki as one of our top beaches because of the privacy, view (beautiful sunsets), and overall great sand.

Something to be aware of about Ke Iki:
There is not a cleaning service during your stay. If you need more towels, etc. all you have to do is ask the managers. They are very friendly and are happy to provide you with what you need.
This is not a place for people who are used to being pampered. The Ke Iki experience is more of a cabin experience where you take care of yourself.

Sidenote:
Go to Foodland (about 1-2 blocks away) to get your groceries. Also, sign up for the saver's card at Foodland to get extra discounts. There is a Starbuck's in Foodland for those who love their coffee. We also bought an entertainment book for Hawaii (got it before the vacation) and saved $ on the car rental, luau, Kono's (Haleiwa), Subway (in Waikiki), etc.

Some other things you must discover while in the North Shore:

Shark's Cove. Shark's Cove is 1-2 blocks from Ke Iki (it is right across from Foodland) and is an awesome spot for snorkeling. You have to walk down a hill (not far though) to get to the water. Put your snorkel mask on, walk in the water, and prepare to see some of the most beautiful fish ever. Make sure to pick up a fish guide (to tell you the names of the fish you are seeing). Shark's Cove is free and is truly amazing! My husband and I went snorkeling in Hanauma Bay and couldn't decide which place was better!

The historic town of Haleiwa. The town of Haleiwa is about a ten minute drive from Ke Iki and very much has the feel of Old Hawaii. There is a shopping area and some great restaurants (The Mexican restaurant has great Margaritas and Kono's has awesome teriayki chicken). You could easily spend the day shopping, eating, and checking out their beach.

Go Beach hopping. There are lots of beaches to check out on the North Shore..some for surfing, some for playing, or for just relaxing. They all have something a little different to add and all you have to do is take a short drive in either direction from Ke Iki to find yet another one.

The Polynesian Cultural Center is about a 15-20 minute drive from Ke Iki.

• Stayed May 2005
20 Thank CheesieOne
Reviewed 11 August 2005

I, as well, was excited about Keike because of the great reviews. So I felt I should down play this place as well. I will start with the good points and then go to what was not so good. The grounds were lovely. The private uncrowded beach were great. However, no AC, most the times you didn't need it, however it would have been nice to have known. Ke Ike in hawaiian mean children and was listed in a travel book as children friendly.
Not the case. It caters too much to weddings and movie shooting. The week we were there 2 weddings and a movie shooting for "Blind date" took place. I don't know about you, but when you travel with kids, the last thing you want to do at night when trying to relax, is listen to 80s wedding music till all hours of the night. BECAUSE you can't close your windows, remember NO AC. Let's not forget the shooting of Blind Date. Is that show for kids?????????? NO. We weren't around the shooting, however I was up in the office when the people who were next to the shooting were complaining. The cast were smoking, cursing and this couple have kids in the bungalo. Can't close your window---------No AC. The managers solution was to go drive around till they were gone. Our dishwasher never worked and we had a constant ant problem. This place could be great. But it isn't for people wanting to relax or have children. Heck from the sounds of it it's not for the honeymooners either.

• Stayed July 2005
14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Haleiwa
Courtyard by Marriott Oahu North Shore
Backpackers Vacation Inn and Plantation Village
Tiki Moon Villas
Tiki Moon Villas
#1 of 2 in Laie

Been to Ke Iki Beach Bungalows? Share your experiences!