“perfect northshore surfer getaway”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Haleiwa
Ke Iki Beach Bungalows
Reviewed 19 December 2005

My wife and I stayed here during the first week of our honeymoon(also split a week between Maui and the Big Island). I chose to stay here the first week mainly for the surfing and the fact that is was very inexpensive and therefore allowing for "fancier" accommidations for the rest of the trip (wife chose).

As far as service I loved it but could honesty see where others could be slightly unnerved. When we arrived there was no check-in to speak of. Greg spotted us and showed us where our bungalow was. I asked if we needed to sign anything or give our credit card and he said we would deal with it later. This very laid back attitude helped relax and understand concepts such as "island time".

While there I purchased 2 surfboards with the intention of selling them both before I left. When I asked Greg where to sell them he encouraged me to take them home. I told him I didn't have a nice board bag so he said he would loan me his. I then explained that I would have several inter-island flights after I left his place and the expense of taking the board to Maui and the Big Island was not worth it. Now get this, he agrees to meet me at the Airport on the day of my departure back home(one week after I checked out) and brings my board in his board bag to HNL. He kept one of the boards and sold it himself and mailed me a check about a month later.

Overall, if you are going to the North Shore to enjoy the area and luxury isn't important then this is your place. If you want fancy accommidations than stay at that place further up the road or better yet, stay in town.

--Turtle

• Stayed: September 2003
18  Thank turtlemoye

California
Reviewed 30 November 2005

I have stayed at Ke Ike Beach 3 times in the last year and am planning another trip this winter. I am always amazed at how relatively private this beautiful stretch of beach is. Management was most helpful with all our needs. Thanks Greg for several great times!

• Stayed: August 2005, travelled on business
16  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 29 November 2005

Our situation on visiting Ke Iki Beach must be different from previous negative reviews because we found this place to be ideal, i.e., paradise in paradise. See pics. Reserved the "Bird of Paradise" bungalow (2 bedrooms, 1 bath, kitchen, living area, lanai with tables and hammocks in the palm trees) for 2 nights 2 weeks before trip, and reservations were in place when we arrived, though we arrived late. Though this was also the beginning of the Triple Crown surf event, reservation was not lost, “conveniently” or otherwise (see previous reviews). Greg, the manager, was knowledgeable, charming, and organized. His only concern was that we might have gotten lost (get good directions from the Ke Iki Beach Bungalows website; landmarks are important since Ke Iki is off the main road; the Foodland is important!). He even told us that the bungalow was not rented the previous night, so we could arrive anytime during the day we wanted. Parking was no problem, the area was safe, and the bungalow was SPOTLESS!! Grounds were beautifully manicured. This review is from 3 guys aged 33, 52 and 82 with conservative-but-not-too demanding tastes. The kitchen was well-stocked with kitchenware, and it was a fun place to hang out and cook. I used TA to find Ke Iki, and the positive reviews were right-on. On the other hand, I do think that if the place were crowded with kids or loud folks, it might be less ideal since the lanai areas are shared and windows are generally open. Otherwise, it certainly beat out crowded Honolulu for the Hawaii magic. Cost was $190 plus tax/night, plus a $60 one-time cleaning fee. This beat the Turtle Bay Resort ($235/night plus tax) up the coast where we had initial reservations. And we had a whole apartment on the beach! Beware of the beach, however, since the waves are killers, at least this time of year. It was very cool to watch the surf, though, especially from the lanai. There are nice lava rocks (or lava over a sedimentary bed, according to Greg) just to the south of the beach that make for great exploring. It's an easy 45-60 minute drive from Honolulu. Not much traffic. Enjoy! And Mahalo!

• Stayed: November 2005
18  Thank Shyyydoggg
los angeles
Reviewed 29 November 2005

My girlfriend and I stayed in the Protea bungalow for a week and had one of the best vacations ever. We have stayed in other areas on the North Shore and Oahu, and Greg's place is by far the best.
The units are very clean and quiet, with plenty of space, good cooking facilities, and cable TV. Greg was a great host and everything went very smoothly from the moment we arrived to our departure. The grounds are beautiful and right on the beach, within walking distance to Waimea Bay, Pipeline, Sunset, and all the spots in between. There is also a paved walking/biking path that runs all the way along the seven mile miracle. I recommend laying in the hammocks out front and watching the sunset over Shark's Cove. Also, don't miss the Waimea Audobon Park down the road. It is incredible.
The North Shore is somewhat rural, but you'll find all amenities are close by. The bungalows are just down the road from a large grocery store. Along the Kam Highway (the road that runs along the North Shore), there are a handful of shops and eateries. Haliewa's more extensive shopping village and restaurants are just ten minutes away by car. Lots of good stuff there.
You couldn't ask for a better North Shore experience. We are going back in Dec '06 along with my parents and my brother's family. We can't wait!

• Stayed: October 2005
14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
California
Reviewed 25 November 2005

After reading a few reviews, as well as Greg's responses to a few negative reviews, I'd like add my experience for others to learn from.

Ke Iki Beach Bungalows is nice little place. You get a pretty realistic North Shore experience. You are right on the beach. The grounds are quiet and fairly private. The Ke Iki website is a fair representation of the location. If you go in the winter be prepared to be surrounded by surfers, which if you are one of them is great. I've gone the past four years to surf the North Shore during the winter and have a great time. I have dealt with Ke Iki twice, no problem the first year, but the second year he lost our reservation.

However, If you take the time to read the reviews, the problem is quite apparent and consistent across the negative reviews. For the price, you're getting what you pay for. The problem is that Greg is pretty sloppy and unreliable. I was shocked when I went into the office to pay; the guy's office was a mess. His organizational skills suck beyond belief, so it's no wonder he blows it when it comes to keeping track of reservations, arrival dates and what room you want.

In speaking with North Shore locals, it’s quite common for places to "conveniently" lose reservations if they can find someone else to commit to a longer stay.

I think if someone a little more competent were at the helm, these situations would be avoided. The North Shore is a laid back place, but the doesn't give businesses up there the excuse to be careless and unprofessional.

Hope this helps.

• Stayed: December 2003
32  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Management response:Responded 30 November 2005

As an owner of Keiki Beach Bungalows it is nearly always that I read and hear guest comments with a sense of pride. Any negative part of any review however is taken seriously. Any problem a guest may have with reservations is a call to action by management. By the end of January ’06 Greg will be using a computerized reservation system; the system should eliminate double bookings or lost reservations. Meanwhile reservations are being rechecked and verified by Greg to insure 100% accuracy. We do not have a policy of treating any reservation differently. Length of stay or profession is not given preferential treatment.The renovation of the Bungalows taking place over the past several years is complete. Along with improved guest accommodations Greg and Annie now have a roomier home with a separate office for a more efficient work space.
Thank you for your input, we regret any negative experience you may have had at Keiki Beach Bungalows.
Aloha,
John

LA Calif
Reviewed 22 November 2005

My wife and I had no idea what to expect when we booked a stay at the Ke Iki Beach Bungalows except we were getting a room close to the beach. Wow! We ended up in a room ON the beach and the atmosphere was Idyllic. The spectacular natural beauty was overwhelming and the place was clean with an authentic Hawaiian feel. Been all over Hawaii and nothing compares...Thank You!

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 22 November 2005

My husband and I recently stayed in the Gardenia bungalow at Ke Iki. This bungalow is facing the ocean and has one bedroom with a single bed in the living room. The bungalow had a television with many stations including HBO and a telephone. It did not have a safe, but we didn't have any problems. Ke Iki has a very relaxed atmoshere. Greg and his lovely wife were very kind. I recommend this place to anyone wanting a nice, relaxing place to stay on the north shore of Oahu.

• Stayed: October 2005
10  Thank loves2travel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Haleiwa
Courtyard by Marriott Oahu North Shore
Kalani Hawaii Private Lodging
#1 of 1 in Sunset Beach
Backpackers Vacation Inn and Plantation Village
Paradise Bay Resort Hawaii

Been to Ke Iki Beach Bungalows? Share your experiences!