“An excellent choice for a North Shore stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Haleiwa
Ke Iki Beach Bungalows
New York City, New York
“An excellent choice for a North Shore stay”
Reviewed 20 February 2006

My family of 4 (2 kids around 25 yrs old, 2 parents around 55) stayed in the Orchid room for one night in Feb, 2006, our first trip to hawaii. We were primarily interested in seeing scenic sites (nice natural habitats, etc), and the big waves on the north shore beaches was a top priority for us. This place was perfect for us. The Orchid room on the second floor offered a great view of the waves, and it was really nice to stay on the balcony and overlook the ocean at night and in the morning.

Pros:
great view of the ocean!
right on the beach, easy access, very few people on the beach, its like having your own private location.
quiet, safe location
very close to grocery store, internet cafe, etc (within 1 mile).
very clean suites, nice beds.
price was reasonable (and even if you may think its expensive, we would say it is worth it)

Cons:
if you stay on one of the first floor rooms, you don't have as good of a view of the ocean, but its still pretty damn nice.
the walls are thin so we could hear people talking underneath our suite at night (although it wasn't really late at night).
saw a few cockroaches in the kitchen, but this would be hard to avoid on a beachfront property.

• Stayed February 2006
13 Thank agrawal_family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 20 January 2006

We went to Hawaii for our Honeymoon, along with some of our bride's maids and best men. While planning the trip, we were hesitating between the Ke Iki Beach Bungalows and the Turtle Bay resort.

Oh man did we make the right choice with Ke Iki!

First, the surroundings are incredible: the huge beach, the great view and the tranquility of the estate. Furthermore, everything you need is close: surf rental, internet cafe, Foodland, 10-15 min from Haleiwa, there's a bus stop directly in front of the entrance (the buses have A/C).

Greg'S service was great. He picked us up fromt he airport for a very good rate, explained to us the things to do and the places to see and was always there to answer our questions.

If you like the movie Blue Crush because of the waves, the beach and the natural easy going looks of the surroundings, Ke Iki is the place to stay. You can actually take a jog on the beach or the bike path and in ± 20min you are standing on the beach looking at Pipe or Sunset Beach (to renouned surf beaches) Actually, it's all part of the same beach. Waimea bay is a 5 min drive away! The Foodland is a 5 min walk!

Don't hesitate to go, IT'S GREAT! For those who lilke the all inclusive, no waves or small waves crowded beaches, tourist packed and no different than all the other ressort type of place, Ke Iki is not for you. For the rest of us don't miss out, GO.

We're planing to go back in maximum 5 years, and this time we're going beach front!

• Stayed October 2005
14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Milton, MA
Reviewed 7 January 2006

My husband and I went to stay at the Ke Iki Bungalows for the second week of our two weeks in Hawaii. The first two nights no beachfront spots were available so we were in the Protea. The noise from the road was definitely present but the beach was still amazing! Our last few nights were totally great when we moved to the Gardenia beachfront bungalow. I agree with others in saying that Greg was really laid-back but that was fine with us - we would definitely go back again! It was paradise as we had always envisioned Hawaii to be (and much nicer than our stay at a Marriott on Maui).

• Stayed August 2005
11 Thank Heather S
Jonas Ridge,NC
Reviewed 28 December 2005

I have to admit I was a little worried about our reservations for 3 nights during Thanksgiving week after reading some reviews on this board. I had nothing to worry about!! The place was great and Greg was great! He told me when I called he did not have anything for the entire time I needed but if I was willing to move to a different bungalow for 1 night of my stay he could accomodate us. We had an oceanfront unit for 2 nights and a garden view unit for 1 night. Both were lovely and when I return and I promise I will, I will book well in advance so I can get the oceanfront one for th entire time. Everything about our stay was perfect!! Even though I did not ask, Greg reduced the price to off season rates for us because of the inconvience of moving units. How much nicer could you ask for??!! By the way, we were there for the final day of the OP Pro at Haleiwa which is the 1st round of the Triple Crown of Surfing and we certainly did not lose our reservation and we were treated with respect and kindness the whole time we were there.

To anyone planning on staying at Ke Iki, DO IT!! Do not listen to the few complainers on this board. It is impossible to please everyone but if you want a nice and clean little bungalow on a gorgeous stretch of North Shore beach with a host who is willing to let you have total privacy or spend all the time you want telling you about the area and sharing his personal experiences living on the North Shore then Ke Iki is the place for you!!!

I had casually mentioned to Greg that my 13 year old daughter wanted to see some surfing competition and that we were hoping for some good surf and conditions. He checked the surf forcast for us and let us know when the bigger surf was expected so we could change some of our plans around and be free to watch the last day of the OP Pro. How many 5 star resorts would have done that for you without a tip?

All in all, I could not have asked for anything better at Ke Iki and will return again as soon as I can. The only change will be that I will stay at Ke Iki longer and less time in Waikiki.

Thanks Greg!!!
April Franklin

13 Thank AprilAF
greensboro
Reviewed 19 December 2005

My wife and I stayed here during the first week of our honeymoon(also split a week between Maui and the Big Island). I chose to stay here the first week mainly for the surfing and the fact that is was very inexpensive and therefore allowing for "fancier" accommidations for the rest of the trip (wife chose).

As far as service I loved it but could honesty see where others could be slightly unnerved. When we arrived there was no check-in to speak of. Greg spotted us and showed us where our bungalow was. I asked if we needed to sign anything or give our credit card and he said we would deal with it later. This very laid back attitude helped relax and understand concepts such as "island time".

While there I purchased 2 surfboards with the intention of selling them both before I left. When I asked Greg where to sell them he encouraged me to take them home. I told him I didn't have a nice board bag so he said he would loan me his. I then explained that I would have several inter-island flights after I left his place and the expense of taking the board to Maui and the Big Island was not worth it. Now get this, he agrees to meet me at the Airport on the day of my departure back home(one week after I checked out) and brings my board in his board bag to HNL. He kept one of the boards and sold it himself and mailed me a check about a month later.

Overall, if you are going to the North Shore to enjoy the area and luxury isn't important then this is your place. If you want fancy accommidations than stay at that place further up the road or better yet, stay in town.

--Turtle

• Stayed September 2003
18 Thank turtlemoye
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 30 November 2005

I have stayed at Ke Ike Beach 3 times in the last year and am planning another trip this winter. I am always amazed at how relatively private this beautiful stretch of beach is. Management was most helpful with all our needs. Thanks Greg for several great times!

• Stayed August 2005, travelled on business
16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Winston-Salem, NC
Reviewed 29 November 2005

Our situation on visiting Ke Iki Beach must be different from previous negative reviews because we found this place to be ideal, i.e., paradise in paradise. See pics. Reserved the "Bird of Paradise" bungalow (2 bedrooms, 1 bath, kitchen, living area, lanai with tables and hammocks in the palm trees) for 2 nights 2 weeks before trip, and reservations were in place when we arrived, though we arrived late. Though this was also the beginning of the Triple Crown surf event, reservation was not lost, “conveniently” or otherwise (see previous reviews). Greg, the manager, was knowledgeable, charming, and organized. His only concern was that we might have gotten lost (get good directions from the Ke Iki Beach Bungalows website; landmarks are important since Ke Iki is off the main road; the Foodland is important!). He even told us that the bungalow was not rented the previous night, so we could arrive anytime during the day we wanted. Parking was no problem, the area was safe, and the bungalow was SPOTLESS!! Grounds were beautifully manicured. This review is from 3 guys aged 33, 52 and 82 with conservative-but-not-too demanding tastes. The kitchen was well-stocked with kitchenware, and it was a fun place to hang out and cook. I used TA to find Ke Iki, and the positive reviews were right-on. On the other hand, I do think that if the place were crowded with kids or loud folks, it might be less ideal since the lanai areas are shared and windows are generally open. Otherwise, it certainly beat out crowded Honolulu for the Hawaii magic. Cost was $190 plus tax/night, plus a $60 one-time cleaning fee. This beat the Turtle Bay Resort ($235/night plus tax) up the coast where we had initial reservations. And we had a whole apartment on the beach! Beware of the beach, however, since the waves are killers, at least this time of year. It was very cool to watch the surf, though, especially from the lanai. There are nice lava rocks (or lava over a sedimentary bed, according to Greg) just to the south of the beach that make for great exploring. It's an easy 45-60 minute drive from Honolulu. Not much traffic. Enjoy! And Mahalo!

• Stayed November 2005
18 Thank Shyyydoggg
Also consider these accommodations in or near Haleiwa
Courtyard by Marriott Oahu North Shore
#1 of 1 in Sunset Beach
Tiki Moon Villas
Tiki Moon Villas
#1 of 2 in Laie

Been to Ke Iki Beach Bungalows? Share your experiences!