“Wonderful Way to Learn”

Island Style Surf School
More attraction details
Owner description: At Island Style Surf School you will have a unique and relaxed surf experience that you can't find anywhere else. With safety first and detailed instruction, we make sure that you have the time of your life on the famous waves of the North Shore Oahu, Hawaii! With instruction from professional surfer, Sergio Lima, and his crew of local certified instructors, you can feel secure that you and your family are in good hands. Come and see why at Island Style you will have a lesson like no other! Surf the north shores legendary waves in Haleiwa, Sunset Beach, Pupukea, and Wailua! Aloha!
Reviewed 27 January 2014

My mom and I visited the North Shore over New Years, and wanted to learn to surf. We were lucky enough to have found Sergio and Carly. They are truly outstanding, and by the end of your first lesson you'll be standing up. It was so much fun we went back a second time.

Matt & Heidi Hoy

Reviewed 3 November 2013

Totally Awesome!!! Fantastic Instructor!! I cannot say enough good things about Sergio and his wife Carly! They were amazing!

My daughters are ages 10 and 12. They had never been surfing before. Sergio spent some time on the beach instructing them and then it was off to the ocean. My girls stood up on their very first wave and on every wave after! In fact, they fell in love with surfing! We took them back for 2 more lessons! I even tried it at age 45 and was able to stand up at the end of my lesson. It would have been sooner, but I was so afraid. Sergio was so patient and worked with me until I had the confidence to stand up!

Sergio is a pro not only at surfing, but at instructing as well. He takes safety very seriously. He knows exactly the right waves to send you out on and his instructions are clear and easy to follow. He would even tow us out with his feet on our board! Carly took amazing pictures and video for us! They are such wonderful trustworthy people.

We did many amazing things on our vacation, but the thing my girls loved the best was surfing with Sergio and Carly! Would love to go back again someday and take more lessons!

Reviewed 24 October 2013

We booked the honeymoon package, which included a private couples' surf lesson, a sunset photo shoot, snacks, and drinks and honestly, I can't imagine anything Sergio and Carly could have done better. I made a huge mistake and didn't show up on the correct day but when I called Carly, she was SO nice about it, rescheduling so we could have this experience before we left Oah'u. Sergio is an excellent teacher - my husband I were both standing up by the second wave, when I was hoping to manage one wave during the entire lesson. Do consider booking here if you are interested in surfing lessons.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

After looking around at various surf schools we found that we could get private lessons for the same price as group lessons with other places. We certainly made the right choice! Sergio is passionate about what he does and it shines through when he teaches people. I'm not a huge fan of the water but even I gave it a go and had fun. My partner had the best time and still wishes we could go back! Both Carly and Sergio are incredibly friendly and helpful. Couldn't have met two nicer people!

Reviewed 6 October 2013

First Time ever surfing, i was a little apprehensive until I spoke with Carly on the phone, she was really great to talk to and answered all my questions, I already started to feel more relaxed about trying to start surfing at 47. We showed up early Carly was there taking pictures of a student Sergio was working with. When my time to surf was up Sergio put me at ease with his laid back style and approach. We went out and he set me up so perfectly to catch waves that I stood up on my very first try and repeated almost every time! I ran out of gas before my time was up even with Sergio doing a lot of the paddling for me it is still very demanding physically (the better shape you are in the more fun you will have). Thanks a million Sergio and Carly you guys are awsome