“Hole in the wall...Easy to miss....DON'T”
Review of Cafe Haleiwa

Cafe Haleiwa
Ranked #25 of 87 Restaurants in Haleiwa
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
minneapolis
“Hole in the wall...Easy to miss....DON'T”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We were driving from the North Shore Turtle Bay Resort and by accident drove through Haleiwa and stopped. The line out the door was our first indication that this might be worth the wait. It is small, almost a mom and pop style place in a small town. When our name was finally called we sat down and I saw the waitress's bringing other meals past and each one was better then the one before. We stopped here specifically the second day to eat here again. Would and have recommended to others.

• Visited March 2014

San Antonio, Texas
“Wonderful surprise!”
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

We picked this restaurant based on location and UrbanSpoon reviews. It was beyond our expectations. A small, hole-in-the-wall, restaurant, we were greeted promptly and our table was ready. It is a BYOB restaurant, but a bar next door was available.

The menu was not what we expected. Our pre-teen girls were not sure what they were going to get. Once we walked them through the choices and they heard the daily specials, all was good.

The ricotta appetizer was a cool, light start to our meal. Each of our entrees was excellent. Half way through our kids were planning our return.

The wait staff were attentive and friendly.

Our only complaint was that the temperature was a little warm. By the end of our meal, we really didn't care.

We plan on returning before we leave the island.

Highly recommended!

Visited July 2014
Tracy, California
“Hole in the wall with great food”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We rented a vehicle hoping to see some "big waves along the North Shores." Unfortunately, there weren’t any huge waves to be seen during our outing here.

While driving through this cute little town, my wife noticed this little cafe and wanted to stop in for breakfast.

I originally didn't care to but relented in the end! Ya, I'm a nice guy, besides the alternative was McDonalds which I didn't care for.

We drove past the restaurant looking for a parking spot out front, which wasn't available.

Then again, the street was so narrow; I don't think a "horse and buggy" couldn't navigate down these streets.

Fortunately, the establishment had ample parking in the rear of the restaurant.

Of course the restaurant was packed with people eating breakfast, which was a good indicator that the place must be good.

I thought we would be waiting for a seat, which I wasn't prepared to do.

We came in and were seated at the last table, which was next to the front door but it wasn't an issue with us. The restaurant was clean and didn't present any health issues.

After looking at their menu, I ordered the two buttermilk pancake breakfast.

My son, who's always hungry, ordered the Steak and eggs.

My daughter, who wasn't that hungry only ordered their home fried potatoes.

My wife ordered their poached eggs with sausage and toast.

With so many people inside, our breakfast order was prepared in a timely manner and I was impressed.

My pancakes were well cooked and tasted fine with their maple syrup.

Everyone else had nothing negative to say about their orders. The bill for our breakfast was very reasonable and worth the price.

The only drawback at this restaurant was the restroom, which was located out back.

Their restroom looked like a "glorified outhouse" complete with a flushing toilet but inside of a shack!

Bottom line is that we would return, provided there was something to see, like the waves!

• Visited November 2013
DC
“Drive to north shore for 2nd breakfast!”
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

We felt a little silly driving all the way to the north shore from Honolulu just to have a second breakfast at Cafe Haleiwa. Well, that wasn't the only reason for the drive but it could have been. We tried nearly everything on the menu and can wholeheartedly endorse the breakfast burrito (get Portuguese sausage inside) and the Hawaiian sweetbread French toast. Next time, I'm shooting for a third breakfast.

2 Thank Keithcu
london
“Great Vegetarian Omlette”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Stayed nearby but had reviewed breakfast venues, decided to try this out. Got there around 7.30am and there were only 5 people in there. Started to get busy. I ordered a vegetarian Omlette which was so fresh and delicious. Partner had scrambled eggs, bacon and potatoes which he said was good. Lots of coffee, tea and a fabulous bagel with cream cheese to finish off. Absolutely full up.

• Visited June 2014