“Wonderful Place” 5 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Port Angeles, Washington
“Wonderful Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

We read the previous reviews and are always wanting to try something new. We stopped before they closed and we had the fortune to meet the owner. She introduced herself and sat with us and gave us more than just a hula dog, conversation.

The hula dog was wonderful and the lemonade is fresh. Get the exotic relishes and Hawaiian mustards. They (along with the fresh bread) are what make it a hula dog.

The owner told us the story of the puka dog (she started selling hot dogs in front of her art gallery because she needed a hook to get people in) which she now gave up in a divorce (she didn't want to fight).

Now she started from scratch with hula dog. She is one tough swiss (yep originally from Switzerland). She has all the original recipes that puka dog will loose in a couple years so beware of imitations. The hula dog is the real deal not puka.

She's not there all the time but when she is the stories are amazing and the food too.

1 Thank flyfisher007_12
Hello flyfisheroo7,

Thank you for your comment guys. Just keep in mind that Puka Dog is my first baby and I will never do anything to hurt it.

• Polish first
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Been to all on the island...love them equally!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

Same review as I posted for the now closed International Marketplace location, and as I would for the downtown location etc):
As a picky vegetarian, I can say that this place is honestly fabulous and one of my fave little spots to nosh! I have brought more than 20 people visiting our island and another 15 on the island into the loop and I will continue to do so. The original, "Puka Dog" is on Kauai, but the husband and wife that started the business split up, and the wife started Hula Dog all over Oahu and she is expanding to the mainland as well. This is for those that will be adventurous and put a tropical twist on a classic American fare. I always get the veggie, mild, mango, lilikoi on the pumpkin wheat (if you go, you know) and then a fresh squeezed strawberry lemonade (with no extra sugar since the strawberry purée is enough for me) and a bag of the Maui onion chips to share with the hubby...and even though he is a total meat eater and likes the Polish dog, he often gets the veggie now...but on the bacon taro bread, hot-hot (or whatever the spiciest is) with pineapple and then lilikoi. I have turned north Idaho hunting boys into believers...so I would say most can handle the adventure!

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank ZeeGee808
Alooha ZeeGee808

Always appreciate comment coming from Hawaii. We like to represent Hawaii with this new Hawaiian Style Hot Dogs and need your support.

Dominique
San Francisco, California
“AMAZING”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

We read about hula dogs in the north shore map and decided to swing by to try it. The woman working there was super nice and really friendly and helpful with our order. She walked us through all the flavors and told us we really couldn't go wrong with any of the sauces. After we got our dogs she came over to check on us and chat more. It's a really unique hot dog experience and the buns are amazing with a perfect hot dog hole in the middle. Definitely get the bacon taro bun - it's really fun and super Hawaiian. We loved the flavored mustard as well! And the mango and pineapple relish were good too (they were the only two we tried). I'd definitely hit up this truck again!! The dogs go for about $6/each and are pretty large and gourmet.

Aloha Safarigahry
Your comment are important for us and by taking the time to write a review mean alot to us.

Mahalo Dominique
usa
“OMGoodness, What a treat!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

I have to admit I was little skeptical at first when my friends suggested this place but what a treat it turned out to be. Just as described, if not better, than on their website. I tried to chicken out and order mine kind of plain but the the fun girl taking my order gave me some helpful suggestions that turned out amazing. So listen to them if they make a suggestion. Also had the special treat of the owner, Dominique, being there in the flesh and working alongside her employees. She was so welcoming, brought out some extra flavors for us to try, sat and talked a while, made us feel like family. Just before leaving to head back to GA we had to get another for the road. Will be a regular stop for us whenever we can get back to the islands and a must do to tell our friends about. Thanks Dominique to you and your crew!!!!

Visited February 2014
Aloha Jtravel01.
Meeting my clients it's a honor to me. I wish be able to be able to do that every day. Not always possible. Thanks you to take the time to review us.

Mahalo
Marbella, Spain
“Delicious Hot/Hula Dog”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

I´ve tried the Hula Dog in Honolulu and was very pleased also to be able to buy Hula Dogs in Hailewa. They are sold from a food truck, but there are tables where you can sit and eat the delicious Hula Dogs. The lady preparing the food was by her own the day we went, but the preparation was fast nevertheless and on top she was very kind. The first timers we brought along just loved the Hula Dogs with the great variety of sauces.

• Visited March 2014
Aloha Sol653
Thanks a lot for your review. 14 years of experience help when we're alone ( don't happen often) thank to notified that nevertheless the service was good.

Dominique