“Sandwich heaven in Hakeiwa!”
Review of Waialua Bakery

Waialua Bakery
Ranked #9 of 91 Restaurants in Haleiwa
Price range: US$0 - US$10
Cuisines: Healthy
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 28 August 2014

My husband and I are currently on holiday in the paradise island of Oahu, Hawaii - and we stumbled upon this glorious, funky little eaterie thanks to Trip Advisor! The Waialua Bakery is tucked away in the corner of a scrubby car park that serves Malama Market. We've parked there twice now with no problems. I'm a real 'sniffy Brit' when it comes to eating out abroad, and I confess to being a bit put off by the ramshackle appearance of road side snack bars that litter the whole of the island. Wobbly, handwritten signs make me cringe, and I usually steer clear of them for fear that that they may indicate poor food standards - but I was persuaded to try this little eaterie, and I'm so glad I did!

They bake their own bread and rolls and the flavours are delicious: from herb and parmesan to jalapeno - both if which I've tried. The fillings are divine and although they incude some of our favourites like turkey and cranberry and tuna mayo - it's the delicious extras that turn these innocent sounding lunchables into feasts: think sprouted beans, the tastiest of dressings and the most generous helpings of veggies! The iced lemon tea worked a treat in temperatures of 85F!

There are some scrummy cookies on offer and I was standing next to a lady who ordered a fantastic ice-cream sandwich, served between two of these cookies!!!! What a way to end a lunch! I was quite satisfied with my sandwich!

We shared our table with a little green lizard that amused us by scampering around licking up crumbs - and I'm surprised at myself for even being able to say this without cringing! This is Hawaii, not the UK - and the attitude to food areas is very, very different - not least because of the very lay-back culture that epitomises the whole way of life.

The Waialua Bakery is a superb place to buy and eat the very best fresh produce, and I'm really hoping we can fit in another trip before we head home!

Reviewed 23 August 2014

We were driving by the North Shore, hungry, but not looking for a full lunch. We saw the bakery tucked behind a small row of stores and thought to give it a try. I had the Hungry Hawaiian, which was turkey, bacon, cheese, sprouts, lettuce, tomato, mayo and mustard ($7.50?). It was very fresh and tasty. My wife had a smoothie (can't remember the name but it was green and maybe $5.00?) and she loved it. We then had an ice cream sandwich ($3.50) which they make fresh by taking two cookies from the shelf and slapping a scoop of ice cream between them - yum... Overall, we were very pleased with what we ordered, the service and we were not alone; the others folks around us seemed to be very happy as well. Was it worth the cost - yes. Would be visit there again? Absolutely. Only caveat - no credit cards accepted so bring cash.

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

My family and I loved this bakery. Fresh, tasty, and quality ingredients at great prices. My husband said it was the best sandwich he ever had.

1  Thank cjnewlywed
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We got sandwiches, smoothies, & cookies here. They make their own bread & everything is delicious! I wish I'd tried them earlier in our visit so I could have eaten there a few more times. They are not open for dinner. I think they are cash only.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Homemade, fresh, quality ingredients and plenty of variety is the reason I recommend this bakery. There were many choices and the ones we had were excellent. I had my sandwich on the Garlic Parmesan bread which was delicious. We had to finish up our meal with ice cream between two large, homemade macadamia nut cookies and a Banana Peanut Butter Smoothie. Seating is limited, but if you time it right, it is well worth the wait.

1  Thank tincognito