“Who knew a hot dog could be this good?”

Ranked #7 of 91 Restaurants in Haleiwa
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Description: The Original Shrimp Truck Since 1993
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Yes, I said hot dog. We went to Giovanni's in Haleiwa twice. The first time was special. The food was extremely fresh and tasty. The shrimp was delectable and the sauce finger licking good. In addition to the shrimp, I ordered a garlic hot dog. I've never eaten such a tasty dog! The frank was large and with the scampi sauce, divine.
We returned to the North Shore later in the week and went back to Giovanni's. The second visit was not as good. I once again ordered a hot dog. It wasn't as fresh as before, the portion of rice and sauce much less. I'll dream about my first experience but will probably never taste such a hot dog again.

gioshrimp, Guest Relations Manager at Giovanni's Shrimp Truck, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2014

The hot dog has always been my favorite as well... I'm happy you enjoyed the 1st experience at the location, but no so much about the 2nd.. I will speak to the manager of the location and rest assured it will be taken care of... Enjoy the island and hope to see you again in the future..

808-293-1839

Write a ReviewReviews (1,600)

Reviewed 24 August 2014

Giovanni's shrimp truck deserves all the praise it gets. If you're a fan of garlic you must must must make the trip up to the North Shore and get some of Giovanni's famous shrimp scampi. I don't even particularly like shrimp but it was one of the greatest meals I've ever had. I've tried to make shrimp scampi multiple times since I came home and it's just not the same. Can't wait to get back to Giovanni's!

gioshrimp, Guest Relations Manager at Giovanni's Shrimp Truck, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

What a compliment coming from someone who doesn't like shrimp... We are happy you gave us a chance and that you enjoyed the shrimp at the location.. Stop trying to make it at home and visit us again in the future.. LOL Take care...

Reviewed 23 August 2014

The garlic shrimp was great as advertised, but the rice was shockingly delicious! Mind you, it was likely drenched in garlic and butter, but still! I would order that rice alone if I could.

Thank you for the great review and we are happy you enjoyed the experience at the shrimp truck.. The rice is amazing when the sauce is poured over it and settles... Enjoy the island and hope to see you again in the future...

Reviewed 17 August 2014

It was very delicious until last year. But, it was not delicious this year. Because it was not freshly made. I don't go anymore.

いろいろ食べ歩き、ここが一番気に入っており毎年訪問するのを楽しみにしていました。
今年は12時前にもかかわらずガラガラでへんだなと思って、それでもすいていてラッキーと思って食べました。
出てきたのはいつもの出来たてではなく、なんか作り置きを盛っただけようなパンチのない味でした。

それでも味付けはいままでと変わらないのでへんだと思いながらまあおいしく食べきることが出来ました。

昔のジョバンニが食べたいけどもう無理なんでしょうかね。
数をこなす為作り置きするようになってしまっ残念です。

もういかないと思います。

1  Thank jntrsnd

I'm sorry to hear that you don't feel the shrimp is fresh anymore.. I can assure you that it is made the same as last year... We hope that you will visit us again to see.. Take care..

Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

After all the hype and buildup about this place, my wife and I decided to drive out and experience it for ourselves. Of all the food trucks Giovanni's was the most populated. Lots of folks in line waiting to order and pick up. You could sense a lot of anticipation in the air fueled by the garlic being sautéed. I was truly hoping this to be one of the more memorable culinary moments of my life, however it went south as soon as we took our first bite. Having tried the garlic shrimp from one of the fellow competitors down the road we expected the same level of freshness and execution at Giovanni's. Overall this is not a finished product that starts with the freshest ingredients. Also, it is not a dish that is very complicated to produce and therefore should not cut corners. As someone in the culinary field all I can say is thumbs down to the owner. You can and should do better. To charge customers that much and cut corners... it's a matter of time before it all catches up with you.

2  Thank Paul O

We are sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the experience at the location... Coming from a culinary background, I would love to get some feedback.. What do you think we could do better in the future to improve the customer experience? Look forward to hearing back from you..

info@giovannisshrimptruck.com