“Should have listened to the locals...”
Review of Kua Aina Sandwich

Kua Aina Sandwich
Ranked #15 of 93 Restaurants in Haleiwa
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed 19 June 2014

My husband grew up in town and had memories of this place being stellar. We mentioned to our kayak guide that we were headed there and he said we should go to Seven Brothers or Ted's. We should have listened.
We waited 50 minutes from standing in line to getting our burgers. They do charge for "all of the extras" as mentioned in previous reviews. Two burgers, a large fry to split and 2 soft drinks was around $30. Burgers were pre made patties that were undercooked and tasteless. Very disappointed...
If traveling with kids, be warned that there is not a restroom on site and you will need to cross the street to find one.

1  Thank Karen W

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Burgers were hands down one of the best we've ever had. Seemed to be frequented by the locals too which is usually a good sign. Go there today!

Reviewed 6 June 2014

They make a stink about the burgers here...as if they are the best thing since fried rice. Well, if you like a burger that was taken from a bag, tossed on a grill 10 seconds and flipped for another 10, well then this is the place. They charge you for EVERYTHING including a pickle. just unreal. lines long, food yuck. Go across the street to Pizza Bobs, you'll thank me.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

The first thing I do when landing in Oahu is jump in the car and head straight to Kua Aina.

Staying regularly at Turtle Bay it's sensational to know it's only 10mins drive to grab one of the best burgers you'll find anywhere.

Many burger varieties and many additions to be had.

Personally I always go for a bacon cheeseburger with monteray jack, two pickles on the side (cut one up and add to your burger) and throw on some hot sauce and you're in heaven.
*Best pickles we've ever had and not found (after years of searching in Australia)

To me you can't have an amazing burger unless the juices are running down your arm!

Before I get into my burger I tear off around 10 pieces of paper towel to get ready for the on set.

This trip the burgers never disappointed and in 14 days I managed 10 burgers...

Fries are not the best you'll have but never the less being different and fresh they are still enjoyable.

Although I always have a burger, my wife often grabs the chicken sandwich and I can say it's the best one of it's type we've had.

All the staff are wonderful and happy to see you and in time will come to remember your face and name.

Coleslaw is a miss for us, but hey we go for the burgers.

You can't beat Kua Aina, so don't miss out. If you are in Waikiki there is also now a second shop up near Ala Moana, so no excuses not to try the best.

Counting down to our next visit to Kua Aina.

It's got to the point I think I go to Hawaii for the burgers as much as anything :)

*I've recommended maybe 50 friends who have now visited and not one has said anything other than it's the best...

2  Thank Scott M
Reviewed 3 June 2014

First ate there in 1990 and each time we visit the North Shore we go back and we are never disappointed. Staying at Turtle Bay it's a quick drive to Haleiwa and a must to eat there. The hamburgers are delicious, the meat pattie always juicy and medium rare and everything that goes with it, avocado, cheese, pineapple and the fries, great. Particuclarly love the chillies and the pickle. Hope we can return again another time so we can try the sandwiches.

2  Thank ladyp1509