“Enjoyable but touristy”

Ranked #13 of 93 Restaurants in Haleiwa
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Takeout
Description: Kua' Aina Sandwich on Oahu perfectly blends traditional Hawaiian and conventional flavors in its delectable lunch and dinner menu. With branches in Haleiwa, Kapolei, Tokyo, and London, this top-rated eatery has earned international acclaim for its tasty selection of sandwiches, burgers, and salads. Maintaining its reputation as the best burger restaurant for over 40 years, Kua' Aina Sandwich is a must-visit shop for every food lover. Ready to serve you seven days a week, Kua' Aina relies on locally grown produce for its exceptional menu. These experienced culinary experts have meticulously created a wide-ranging lunch and dinner menu, promising unmatched flavor with every bite you take. Each sandwich is expertly made to cater to a variety of palates; the signature pineapple burger and mahi-mahi sandwiches will have you coming back for more. Kua' Aina Sandwich gives you a choice between hearth rye, kaiser roll, and multi-grain wheat bread for sandwiches.
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Having grown up on the North Shore, I've gone to Kua Aina when they were down the street in an old hole in the wall. Always enjoyed their burgers. I try to steer clear of the now touristy area of Haleiwa since it can be a pain to get through on Kam Hwy. Anyways, me and a friend shared a lunch here a week ago and enjoyed it. We got a bacon-avocado burger with large fries. A cup of water is free. It was around noon on a Saturday, so pretty busy. Got a table outside right away and the food came out in about 10 minutes. I gotta say, bacon & avocado really make for a tasty burger! The fries are skinny, not the jumbo fatties that some places serve. I love thin fries because they tend to be crunchier and I love crunch! We paid around $13.

Lots of tourist (great for our economy!) from Japan, mainland and elsewhere. It's weird that Japan and London have a Kua Aina…I wonder how THEY pronounce it? He, he!

Reviewed 19 July 2014

I really like this place! There are lots of different style burgers. I had the ahi tuna burger. It was cooked more than I would have liked so that's why I'm docking off a star. The fries are delicious. Other people in our group had salad and the greens looked nice and fresh. No complaints there. There is ample seating and some outdoor seating as well.

Only complaint is it gets expensive. It's one of those places you eat at once (enjoyed it) but don't really wanna come back because of how much you paid.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Don't worry about missing this place...while the service was good and the seating was nice outside, the food wasn't even as good as In-and-Out

Reviewed 19 June 2014

My husband grew up in town and had memories of this place being stellar. We mentioned to our kayak guide that we were headed there and he said we should go to Seven Brothers or Ted's. We should have listened.
We waited 50 minutes from standing in line to getting our burgers. They do charge for "all of the extras" as mentioned in previous reviews. Two burgers, a large fry to split and 2 soft drinks was around $30. Burgers were pre made patties that were undercooked and tasteless. Very disappointed...
If traveling with kids, be warned that there is not a restroom on site and you will need to cross the street to find one.

1  Thank Karen W
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Burgers were hands down one of the best we've ever had. Seemed to be frequented by the locals too which is usually a good sign. Go there today!