“Pretty darn good!”

Cuisines: Hawaiian
Description: It is listed on Yelp and serves good, affordable fare
Description: It is listed on Yelp and serves good, affordable fare
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Keneke's at Punalu‘u. One of the few places in this area where you can actually sit in the restaurant or outside as we did looking up at the mountains. Inside there are Bible verses written on the wall. Hubby got the regular Kalua Pork and I had the child-size (still big) Pork Adobo. Pretty darn good....the adobo could have used a bit more kick (I really like the vinegar & garlic), but perfectly acceptable. The woman working the window was a riot, such a nice person.

1  Thank 3chihuahuas

Reviewed 24 August 2013

After a long day running all over the island, my oldest daughter (17) and I stopped by Keneke's in Punalu'u for dinner (my husband and younger daughter were too tired to leave the condo). Keneke's was nearby, and there were trucks parked outside--a sure sign that locals eat there. We don't always like to intrude on local hang-outs, but this time we were too tired to search futher.
As it happened, being lazy paid off. Keneke's was casual and funky but clean. The staff were surprisingly friendly and helpful. And, the food was delicious. I had a plate lunch w/ garlic shrimp, chicken katsu, rice, and a salad. The garlic shrimp were so good, I couldn't stop eating them, even when I was way beyond full. The chicken was crispy and seasoned just the way I like katsu. The salad was probably the biggest surprise, though: really great mixed greens, not the cheap iceberg lettuce I'd expect. We got ice cream to go for dessert, and that was fantastic, too. Of course, it probably helped that we were tired and hungry when we walked in.
The portions were generous--easily enough for two people--and the prices were very reasonable. Best meal we had on Oahu, believe it or not. In fact, I've eaten at four-star restaurants that weren't as good. Now I'm making myself hungry...too bad we don't have Keneke's on the mainland.

Reviewed 15 July 2013 via mobile

The service was outstanding. I got here right before closing time and figured I'd have to get my food to go, but they weren't at all concerned with closing up. Staff was very courteous and I payed way less for the garlic shrimp than I had at another nearby place and they were every bit as good if not better (around $10 for my meal).

Reviewed 4 March 2013

We've not been overly impressed with the restaurants on Oahu. Most that cater to the tourists are overpriced with mediocre food. When you see the local construction workers pulling in at lunch time it's a good sign. Keneke's did not disappoint. The prices were good and the food was excellent. We should have split lunch, we had enough for two meals. I had the Kalua Pig and it was very good. The garlic fries will curl your toes, if you're there with your loved one you both need to eat them. Probably the best meal we had during our two week stay. The inside is decorated with bible scriptures hand printed on the walls and made for some good reading during lunch. There is an outside eating area that has a beautiful view of the mountains. Well worth a stop.

Reviewed 14 July 2012

Keneke's in Punalu'u is the sister location to the better-known restaurant in Waimanalo. The menus are identical but Punalu'u has slightly higher prices. The main differences were that the Punalu'u location has much better facilities but they didn't seem as adept at making a respectable shave ice as the other place.

We had a large catered meal from Keneke's Grill at a nearby wedding and were able to try Kalua pig, lau lau, teriaki chicken, sweet potatos, poi, etc. All the food was very good. We also stopped there for lunch while in the area.

I recommend trying the mochiko chicken (sweet-flavored fried chicken), Kalua pig, or lau lau (pork wrapped in seaweed and steamed). The plate lunches are very large and could be split between two people.

If you are in the area, it's definitely worth a try.

Hope this helps.