“Well, it's a place to stay!”
Review of Turtle Bay Condos

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kahuku
Turtle Bay Condos
Sanford, NC
“Well, it's a place to stay!”
Reviewed 16 August 2013

The condo we were in was very much in need of a little TLC. Getting into the room through the front door was difficult. It took us several tries to get the door lock to work...every time we returned to the condo. The kitchen was ant infested. We dealt with this by keeping everything in the fridge. The sitting area smelled musty. The bedrooms were fine...the beds and pillows were not very comfortable, but they were clean. The bathroom downstairs was clean except for some mildew.

The lanai is screened in and looked out over the golf-course. The screen doors would not lock, so we were unable to leave the doors open for cross-ventilation. The two bedrooms do have air-conditioning, which was wonderful!! However, the additional sleeping area with the two single beds could not be cooled, and without any air-flow, it was a miserable sleeping area. Considering the fact that the extra cost charged for cleaning...which was almost the cost of another night in the condo, we would have expected less dust, mildew, and especially no ants.

The walls are very thin with little sound proofing. There was a party next to us that we might as well have been sitting in with the folk at the party. The phones did not work...it was a blessing cell phones work well at Turtle Bay. Security did manage to get the party quiet...after about an hour.

The grounds are well kept, and the location is excellent for getting out to explore the area. There are many food trucks nearby, and groceries are easy to get.

Without the ants, the condo would certainly have gotten three stars. With a bit of upgrading...and no ants, it would be a 4-5 star place because of the location.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank NCPirate

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 6 August 2013

First of all, there are 2 rental agencies that clean and rent condos at Turtle Bay -- Turtle Bay Condos (turtlebaycondos.com) and The Estates at Turtle Bay (turtlebay-rentals.com) I made reservations with Carolyn at Turtle Bay Condos (turtlebaycondos.com). When I booked, I indicated I had a family of 6. She said she had a great deal of a condo for me -- #5 West. She said the decor and furniture was a bit dated, but still nice, plus it had AC in both of the rooms. I decided that sounded fine. When we arrived late Sunday night, we opened the door to a moldy, musty smell. The place looked like it hadn't been inhabited since 1974. It was unsanitary! We found red wine on two pillows, hair in the sheets, towels, and refrigerator, none of the standing room fans were working, one of the beds was broken, and half of the lightbulbs weren't working! Needless to say, this screaming deal was a screaming rip off! I called her, woke her up, and told her the conditions were insanitary and unacceptable and that we needed another unit. She informed me she had another unit that was nicer #143 West, but it would only be available for half our stay, so we would have to find other accommodations. Argh. We moved to the other unit that night and by the time we finished, it was way past midnight. #143 West was a renovated unit. The next morning, I called Susan at The Estates at Turtle Bay and she found me a unit for the remainder of the week, processed my payment, and sent me confirmation within minutes. Upon check in at #10 West, the differences were quite noticeable. The cleanliness was much better with The Estates at Turtle Bay. Also, on check out, you are asked to fill out a satisfaction questionnaire and indicate if anything needs repair. A few days after checkout, you'll be sent an email from them to do an online review of your unit and stay. If you check out both websites, you can clearly see the difference. The Estates at Turtle Bay provides details and photos, along with customer reviews of each unit, as well as the price and availability of each unit. You know exactly what you're getting and paying for. Turtle Bay Condos has nothing. You pay for a condo, with only a description from the staff of what you're getting. That just doesn't cut it with today's internet technology. Plus there are no customer reviews on their website. I'm sure there's a reason for that one! Bottom line -- our vacation stay at Turtle Bay started off chaotic and ended beautifully, thanks to Susan and her team at The Estates at Turtle Bay. I will go to Turtle Bay again, and I will only rent from The Estates at Turtle Bay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
9 Thank Konagirl2013

Travellers are raving about these Kahuku hotels

Spring Grove, Pa
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We stayed here for 10 days in June 2013. Communication with the owner, before and during was great! The condo was everything we expected and more, with all the comforts of home. The area was quite and the entire community enforced the no noise after 9pm rule. We would definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank city2country
Saint John
Reviewed 21 June 2013

We stayed a tthis condo and was very impressed. We loved it. It was convenient, clean, comfortable & stylish....we would stay here again & we would rent from Turtle Bay Condos again....Carol was Awesome to deal with...Thank you!!!

Room Tip: We were on lower level, very convenient!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank HappyCouple2010
Eagle River, Alaska, United States
Reviewed 25 May 2013

We rented 109 East and I am very disappointed to say the least. These condos were built in the early 70's and it shows. This condo has had a few upgrades. The tile floors and newly tiled shower were very nice. The kitchen cabinets appear to be fairly new, but the inside of the cabinets have a very musty odor as does the whole condo. I did find a few bugs inside the cabinets, and yes I am aware this is the tropics but we have traveled to Oahu and Maui 6 times over the last three years and this is honestly the first time we have seen bugs inside our condo! The condo really could be nice if the owners would put a little money into upgrading it. The bed was terrible and should be replaced. It didn't look old, just the cheapest most uncomfortable model that can be purchased. My husband isn't very picky, he hikes and camps out in tents a lot in Alaska, but he finally got up and tried to sleep on the couch! The management company did bring us a nice mattress topper which solved the problem. The kitchen is well stocked with utensils, dishes, pots and pans. There are two air conditioners that appear fairly new which was good for us since it was 28 degrees when we left home and 85 when we arrived to Hawaii! We didn't have any trade winds for the first 5 days so I was glad we could use the air conditioning. We have stayed at Turtle Bay Resort and wanted to stay there this time, but all rooms had sold out when we booked our trip. Since we had been here before, we were familar with the area but still had issues getting in to our condo. If arriving after dark, do your self a favor and bring a small flashlight! It is hard to read the condo number after dark. We had no problems getting in the security gate, but trying to get the condo key out of the lock box took about 15 minutes. After many tries and re-checking that we had the correct number I finally called the emergency number only to have it go to a voice mail. I left a message and we continued to try and get the lock box open. Finally, we got it open! Still no call back from the emergency number! It took about 30 minutes to get a call back, I didn't stress too much but if you were standing there with an entire family, tired from a long travel, it might be different! The best part of the condo is the pool, it was clean, heated and hardly nobody used it. Several times I was the only one there. All in all, Hawaii is beautiful and I love coming for visits. I want to thank all of the locals for allowing us tourist to visit their islands:). I would not stay in these condos again. We have always stayed in places much closer to the beach and more resort like. We want to enjoy our vacations and it is important to us to stay in nice clean condo's. We have stayed at the Turtle Bay Resort and loved it. If I come back to Oahu, I will stay there again. Our favorite place to stay in Maui so far has been the Honua Kai. We have also stayed at Kaanapli Shores and even though it was built in the 80's, the condo was newly renovated, clean, no bugs and not musty smelling. We plan to head to the Big Island at Christmas so that will be a new adventure for us:).

Room Tip: Be careful, pics can be deceiving.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tammy M
Morro Bay, California
Reviewed 19 May 2013

When you open the door you are greeted by the overwhelming musty odor of the downstairs window air conditioner. Seeking respite, you try to sit on the mushy sofa or rigid dining room chairs. Next you go into the kitchen to make yourself a drink and meet your roommates, the ants. Giving up, you decide to sleep in the better smelling upstairs bedroom and drift off to la la land on a preindustrial revolution bed while staring at dusty ceiling beams. The walls and flooring of the condo are in need of refinishing and all of the furniture needes replacement. Nice grounds, good location. Take a pass until the interior is replaced.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank haztok
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed 11 May 2013

We stayed in the 3 bedroom condo(117). Met 2 large dead cockroaches on the floor of the living room up on entering. One large one looking down on us from the curtains. No bug spray. 1 of the air conditioners upstairs was not working. Upstairs shower kept going hot and cold. Toilet down stairs blocked and water was everywhere.(on morning of daughters wedding-she stayed the night with us).The vaccum cleaners 3x filters looked like they had never been cleaned. I had to make a mop from the one rusting in the corner. Floors were grubby. A spare doona/spread for double bed was covered in mildew as was both shower curtains. We had a 5 month old baby grandson travelling with us. Our daughters wedding brought up to 30 aussie to the north shore($$$$) and we were all a bit amazed at the filthy conditions of the condo and resort rooms. People though were amazing ,very friendly so that made up for it a' bit'. But when you travel 14 hours in a plane, you need a bit of comfort for your $1800 a week, you don't want to have to spring clean the minute you arrive. Just sayin.

Room Tip: Check the reviews. Take half as being real....
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Jennifer D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kahuku
Waikiki
#1 of 1 in Kahuku
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,727 reviews
Kalani Hawaii Private Lodging
#1 of 1 in Sunset Beach

Been to Turtle Bay Condos? Share your experiences!