“115 West”
Review of Turtle Bay Condos

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kahuku
Turtle Bay Condos
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We stayed in 115 West which was found on VRBO #128137. Nicely furnished, not over the top, but comfy. It was us and another couple, we had enough privacy and didn't feel like we were tripping over each other. The local Foodland grocery store provided enough supplies during our stay and the condo fit well for what we wanted. It was a good place to come back to to relax after long days touring the island.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank n17wings

Reviewed 16 October 2013

Property Is actually in Kuilima Estates West, # 74. Described as upscale and deluxe which could not be further from the truth. Older condominium with only ONE, small, mildew ridden bathroom for up to 7 people (no ventilation) . No ocean views as described. 30 minute walk to beach. Many appliances but washer and dryer quite rusty. Owner wanted $100 to use BBQ ($50 refundable). I told him that was ridiculous to charge anyone for BBQ use so went elsewhere to BBQ.

Wrong key (pool key) left in lock box so we could not get in apt. for over an hr. before someone came by with correct key to unlock front door. Late in day so grandkids quite tired and fussy.

After first day, the owner called at 9 PM to say neighbors were complaining about the noise we were making, that we were running our A/C all day, that we had parked in a neighbors parking stall, and that we were using too much toilet paper! I tried to explain to the owner that we had 3 grandchildren with us but would try to keep their enthusiasm contained. I had parked my car for 5 minutes and stayed with the car for my wife and daughter to unload some groceries but this neighbor came out and started yelling at us for using his space. (Neighbor later apologized for over-reacting). I reassured the owner we would turn A/C off whenever we left apt. from then on. In our previous experience with a time share we could ask for re-supplies like toilet paper, shampoo, soap, etc with no problems but since this was not the case for this "turn key" condo I told him we would get our own toilet paper from now on. Nit picking but this evidently upset the owner so much he kept reminding us we were using too much toilet paper.

Knowing how fussy this owner could be we vacuumed, mopped, and cleaned all appliances, washed and folded all towels, and started a load of sheets in the washer. We even left an extra boogie board for future guests. As we were leaving the owner called at 1000 to remind us we had to leave by 1100. By that time we were already headed for the airport. Sheesh. Not even an "Aloha". Don't let the door hit your butt on your way out.

Now, 2 months after our stay, the owner emailed us with an additional bill of $200 for "extraordinary" usage of electricity, threatening us with court action if we did not comply within 30 days. I feel that this is an extortion attempt from a mean, petty, and spiteful owner and refuse to pay him anymore money for this sad experience.

I would really think THINK TWICE BEFORE RENTING FROM THIS OWNER who cast an ominous shadow over what was supposed to be an enjoyable family vacation for my family and me.

Room Tip: Window air conditioning in master BR. Small A/C in upstairs loft area. Overhead fans too but inadequ...
16  Thank aneckc
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Eliminate the driving from the city to the North Shore for a round of golf. Turtle Bay Condos provided the right atmosphere for a great golf tournament on their dual resort golf courses. Rooms were spacious and relatively clean for an aged property and our condo was located so that we could walk to the clubhouse for our tee time. Having a full kitchen allowed us a leisurely breakfast before heading out for a round of golf. Ultimately, renovation and refurbishing seems a little overdue, but still provided us with a great stay. BBQ area provided a great gathering place for our 20 or so party. Property rental management very professional, friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank kilakilahawaii
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We rented this vacation condo from an individual owner for a week long stay. Let me start by saying the process was extremely easy and the real estate agent we worked with (Bitsy) was very organized. Her instructions were detailed and easy to follow. When we arrived, the condo was freshly cleaned and spotless. It looked exactly like the photos on the website (VBRO - search for Punahele Hale). The condo is remodeled with granite countertops and stainless appliances in the kitchen. The kitchen is stocked with all of the utensils, cookware, etc. you could need. They also have beach towels and beach chairs in the unit. It is obvious that the owners of the unit really do care about it.

We had been looking for a place with air conditioning since we were staying during the warmest month of the year. It is very difficult to find vacation rentals here with a/c. This place advertised air conditioning in the bedroom. It had a window type unit, but it didn't really keep the bedroom as cool as we would have liked. The main part of the condo was warm and humid, and as a result, not that relaxing for us.

As we spent more time in the unit, we noticed a couple of unpleasant odors. One from the hall bathroom that smelled like mold. The other, in the bedroom, we couldn't quite describe, but found it to be unpleasant.

There is a king sized bed in the bedroom. We didn't think it was super comfortable, but it was not horrible either.

The condo complex is very quiet and well maintained. There is a swimming pool just across the parking area (very close). The pool was also quiet and well maintained. We used it just about every day. Also, the beach is a 10 minute walk away.

The condo has a washer and dryer - a very nice feature. Be aware that the dryer vents into the unit (making it hotter in there).

Overall, I think it was an okay place to stay. I think the air conditioning, the odors, and the bed weighed on my decision to rank this place a 3.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank EcoDog
Reviewed 19 August 2013

My wife and I spent 4 day at the condos at turtle bay and loved every minute of it. The condo was clean and had a very comfortable bed and it was quite at night even with the windows open. We love everything about being on the north shore and will definitely be back!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank hunterguyslc
Reviewed 16 August 2013

The condo we were in was very much in need of a little TLC. Getting into the room through the front door was difficult. It took us several tries to get the door lock to work...every time we returned to the condo. The kitchen was ant infested. We dealt with this by keeping everything in the fridge. The sitting area smelled musty. The bedrooms were fine...the beds and pillows were not very comfortable, but they were clean. The bathroom downstairs was clean except for some mildew.

The lanai is screened in and looked out over the golf-course. The screen doors would not lock, so we were unable to leave the doors open for cross-ventilation. The two bedrooms do have air-conditioning, which was wonderful!! However, the additional sleeping area with the two single beds could not be cooled, and without any air-flow, it was a miserable sleeping area. Considering the fact that the extra cost charged for cleaning...which was almost the cost of another night in the condo, we would have expected less dust, mildew, and especially no ants.

The walls are very thin with little sound proofing. There was a party next to us that we might as well have been sitting in with the folk at the party. The phones did not work...it was a blessing cell phones work well at Turtle Bay. Security did manage to get the party quiet...after about an hour.

The grounds are well kept, and the location is excellent for getting out to explore the area. There are many food trucks nearby, and groceries are easy to get.

Without the ants, the condo would certainly have gotten three stars. With a bit of upgrading...and no ants, it would be a 4-5 star place because of the location.

2  Thank NCPirate
Reviewed 6 August 2013

First of all, there are 2 rental agencies that clean and rent condos at Turtle Bay -- Turtle Bay Condos (turtlebaycondos.com) and The Estates at Turtle Bay (turtlebay-rentals.com) I made reservations with Carolyn at Turtle Bay Condos (turtlebaycondos.com). When I booked, I indicated I had a family of 6. She said she had a great deal of a condo for me -- #5 West. She said the decor and furniture was a bit dated, but still nice, plus it had AC in both of the rooms. I decided that sounded fine. When we arrived late Sunday night, we opened the door to a moldy, musty smell. The place looked like it hadn't been inhabited since 1974. It was unsanitary! We found red wine on two pillows, hair in the sheets, towels, and refrigerator, none of the standing room fans were working, one of the beds was broken, and half of the lightbulbs weren't working! Needless to say, this screaming deal was a screaming rip off! I called her, woke her up, and told her the conditions were insanitary and unacceptable and that we needed another unit. She informed me she had another unit that was nicer #143 West, but it would only be available for half our stay, so we would have to find other accommodations. Argh. We moved to the other unit that night and by the time we finished, it was way past midnight. #143 West was a renovated unit. The next morning, I called Susan at The Estates at Turtle Bay and she found me a unit for the remainder of the week, processed my payment, and sent me confirmation within minutes. Upon check in at #10 West, the differences were quite noticeable. The cleanliness was much better with The Estates at Turtle Bay. Also, on check out, you are asked to fill out a satisfaction questionnaire and indicate if anything needs repair. A few days after checkout, you'll be sent an email from them to do an online review of your unit and stay. If you check out both websites, you can clearly see the difference. The Estates at Turtle Bay provides details and photos, along with customer reviews of each unit, as well as the price and availability of each unit. You know exactly what you're getting and paying for. Turtle Bay Condos has nothing. You pay for a condo, with only a description from the staff of what you're getting. That just doesn't cut it with today's internet technology. Plus there are no customer reviews on their website. I'm sure there's a reason for that one! Bottom line -- our vacation stay at Turtle Bay started off chaotic and ended beautifully, thanks to Susan and her team at The Estates at Turtle Bay. I will go to Turtle Bay again, and I will only rent from The Estates at Turtle Bay.

9  Thank Konagirl2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kahuku
Courtyard by Marriott Oahu North Shore
Kalani Hawaii Private Lodging
Kalani Hawaii Private Lodging
#1 of 1 in Sunset Beach
Paradise Bay Resort Hawaii

Been to Turtle Bay Condos? Share your experiences!