“Lovely but at a cost $$$$”
Review of Turtle Bay Resort

Turtle Bay Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kahuku
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Lovely but at a cost $$$$”
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Great view, friendly staff, clean room. Was a little disappointed about the extra $30 tax a day we had to fork out on top of the expensive food. Ola was a lovely restaurant with friendly staff. Very and I mean very frustrated that after receiving the check for dinner that the tips were incremented from 18% to 20%. If you are going to have a scale of tipping starting from 15% is fair even though we tipped 20% each time. All in all enjoyed it very much but had little money left over for activities. Fantastic views and hotel though.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank flicks m
TurtleBayResort808, Manager at Turtle Bay Resort, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Aloha, Mahalo for staying at Turtle Bay. We’re glad you enjoyed our views, friendly staff and clean rooms. We would be honored to serve you again someday.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,247)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 21 July 2014

The area around the hotel is absolutely picturesque! There's a beautiful view every way you turn. The rooms have been significantly upgraded since the stay I had 4 years ago. The staff is friendly, courteous and always ready to help. The one and only issue I found was that there was a large group of us there for a work trip and there's only 3 washer/dryer units for the entire hotel.

Room Tip: I had occasion to visit several of the rooms and every one of them had an amazing view. The only th...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Aloha, We’re thrilled you enjoyed the beautiful views everywhere you walked at Turtle Bay. Our beautiful location truly makes the experiences offered at Turtle Bay one of a kind. We would love to serve you again someday and hope to see you soon! Mahalo.
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We spent two nights at the end of June. We had spent seven previous days on Maui, and came to Oahu for the final four days of vacation. This was our first trip to Hawaii and we felt we had to see Oahu, but were pretty sure Honolulu would not be our cup of tea. We were correct, the north shore was just the ticket. Part of the reason we chose Turtle Bay was (hanging my head) because I love a movie that had been shot there. We had an epic oceanfront room and were very pleased. The room was large, with a small balcony overlooking the beach. The room was well appointed and quiet. The bathroom was large, and we appreciated the two separate sink areas. We spent some time walking the extensive grounds and trails-the property is enormous! We drive to Haleiwa to get breakfast and lunch and to do some shopping. It was the cutest town! We dined at Ola and Pa'aki at the resort and really enjoyed both. The prices were lower than on Maui or where we ate in Waikiki. My only complaint would be with the beach service. There were very few umbrellas available and the beach chairs are terrible. The resort really needs to upgrade this. The pool area was fine, if a bit small. We had excellent service from everyone we encountered. I would not go back to Waikiki, but I would go back to the north shore and Turtle Bay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kjscap
Aloha, We’re thrilled you loved the North Shore and had a memorable stay with us at Turtle Bay. We’re pretty excited to be the star of several movies and TV shows. The list is pages long and continues to grow. We will look into ways to enhance our beach area and appreciate your input. We look forward to serving you again someday. Mahalo!
Burbank, California
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We spent the first week in June at this wonderful resort. Prices go up significantly after that, so the timing was perfect. When you walk in to the hotel, you will notice there are no doors - the whole lobby/entrance area is open to the wonderful weather there, and then you see the view to the ocean from the other side of the lobby, which is spectacular. Service is impeccable, from the front desk and bell service, to the concierge.
When we checked in, we got an instant upgrade, which was incredibly appreciated. We got a room with a view of the ocean, facing west, so we got a nice sunset view every night.
Yes, the resort is pricey.... breakfast for two adults and two teenagers was about $40/day, so after two days of that, we went to the local grocery store and picked up some OJ, milk, cereal, fruit, and oatmeal. We are generally used to having free coffee in the lobby of hotels, so we were disappointed that this was not offered. Keurig-type coffee machines in the room or buying coffee downstairs are your only options.
If you're not a large portion-size type of person/family, costs can be offset by ordering one entree with appetizers. Everything there is absolutely delicious, and portions are very generous.
One night, we had dinner at Ola's on the Beach and had a cool star sighting (Sean Penn and Charlize Theron). Star-spotting aside, the food there was fabulous - I would definitely recommend the Butterfish and Ribeye! and some of the tables are right on the sand. The setting, service, food and ambiance are worth the pricey meal. If you choose to spend on one very nice dinner, this is the place to do it.
We treated our kids to surf lessons for two days at the resort. If your teen is 13 or younger, they want you to pay for a semi-private lesson ($125) as opposed to a group lesson ($75). Their rules are a little fuzzy, as it states "under" 13 requires semi-private. They would have let her go into a group lesson, but they strongly recommended against it, so we did the semi-private for two hours for both kids (our son is 16). They were nice enough to discount the cost of the lessons a little. The next day, we did the same, but due to the weather, the lesson ended after only an hour, and they pro-rated the cost of the lesson. Definitely a class act at this resort.
I feel I should mention that none of the beaches in Hawaii are private, not even resort beaches. The cabanas and chaise-lounges are only available to hotel guests, but the beach at Turtle Bay is open to the general public, and they do come. No worries, there is still a lot of beach to share. My only recommendation to the hotel is that they provide beach umbrellas, otherwise everyone is crowding around the minimal shady areas next to the trees.
We ventured down to the south shore a couple of times, but our best times were definitely on the North Shore. Waikiki is way too congested for our taste, and way too gentrified. I don't know about anyone else, but I really don't want to see high-rises while in Hawaii - I only want to see the tropical setting it is known for. There's also a lot of traffic down in the Waikiki area, ugh!
Some additional observations about Hawaii in general is that most people drive very politely, and the food trucks you see along the roads should not be dismissed. More reviews coming up.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank SafetyMadam
TurtleBayResort808, Manager at Turtle Bay Resort, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Aloha, It sounds like you had a great time watching your kids surf, seeing movie stars at Ola and exploring the North Shore. We do offer umbrellas on our beach, but they are on a first-come first-served basis. We also have 5 miles of coastline. If our guests choose to explore our trails in either direction they are bound to find their own personal swim spot. We would love to see your family again on the fabled North Shore! Mahalo!
Melbourne, Australia

Spectacular
=========
Views
Staff (friendly and well-trained)
Location - (nothing else around to compete with it)
Spa; (everything you want a spa to be)
Gym (new equipment facing brilliant view of ocean)

Excellent
=======
room size;
free snorkelling equipment;
open-plan lobby lounge (cafe for quick breakfast/ coffee/drink/snack),
variety of restaurants;
plenty of free on-site parking - max 5 minute walk back to hotel;
small water slide and little-kid pools
range of add-on activities (horseriding, golf, watersports)

Good:
====
Ambience (still seems dated in parts, despite renovations);

Unsatisfying:
=========
Cost of everything from rooms to spa to restaurant prices; Booking direct with hotel required a 14 day pre-payment of the full tariff with a forward bank authorisation obtained 7 days prior to it being actually deducted (i.e. your credit card is limited by the full amount 21 days in advance of check-in date);
staffing level in lobby lounge during peak periods was insufficient - a third person needed;
sound of wind that rarely abates;
size of pool is underwhelming for such a big hotel (~480 rooms) charging such big rates.

I guess you have to accept that Hawaii is just not a cheap destination - people are prepared to pay more to go there - I wouldn't have paid the extra but my 2 young companions preferred it to other South Pacific options for a variety of reasons and so I bit the financial bullet.

Tips
===
Supermarkets are about 10km either direction from the resort - stock up there if you can on breakfast items (fridge in room (large-mini-bar size) was delightfully empty)
Golf - play in the afternoon for special rates and packages

Green Features: Get rid of the paper cups and condiment boxes - very wasteful - bring back crockery and fresh milk.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank StephRocke
Aloha, Mahalo for staying with us at Turtle Bay. We appreciate you taking the time to share what you loved about Turtle Bay including our amazing location and friendly staff, as well as areas you think we can improve. We will take your ideas into consideration. We hope to have the honor of serving you again in the future.
Roanoke
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I really had a wonderful experience overall at Turtle Bay. I did. I would return in the future but I'd really love to see the resort implement an all-inclusive option. I found the cost of our room to be high (around $375/night for the epic oceanview King suite) particularly since the restaurants and bars were (in my opinion) way overpriced for the quality of the food. Mai Tais are generally $10-11 anywhere on the island, but I wish there had been a discount for guests of the hotel, maybe? I only ate at Ola and Hang Ten - we splurged on fancier dinners in Waikiki at more well-known places, rather than going for the high prices at the resort restaurants.

A few minor complaints - we kept a few snacks in our room (and liquor) and kept everything very tidy and wrapped up, but by day 3 we had little tiny ants in our room on the 6th floor. I got rid of them each night to find they were back in the morning. It wasn't a huge deal, but I would have preferred not to see ants in my room.

The bathroom is not very...private. There is a sliding glass door (which looks really awesome) that can be closed for privacy in the shower or for the toilet stall. It's a beautiful design, but you can pretty much hear everything that's happening in the toilet stall from the bedroom. The door is frosted glass, but it's also practically seethrough - especially with the light on. I was with my husband so it wasn't a huge deal for us, but I might have preferred an actual
door for the toilet stall.

My room had a giant bathtub as advertised - just FYI that it is not jetted and really only fits one average sized person - or maybe two quite small people.

The pool area and beach areas were great overall in design and space. There were a lot of kids and families. We got to the beach some days and there were no lounge chairs available, and we were encouraged to pay for the cabana. One day I did do the cabana for half a day, but wasn't particularly impressed - the cushion and the inside of the canvas on the frame needed to be cleaned. And if I'm already paying at the resort, I guess I just feel like there should be no charge or a more reasonable one for the beach cabanas - especially since there's a daily resort fee.

Those are my $.02 - I loved staying at Turtle Bay as a home base for our exploration of the island. I don't know if I would come back? Maybe? Next time I might just do a vacation rental somewhere on the North Shore or in Lanikai or Kailua or try another island. I just feel like I've paid the same amount of money on other vacations (Dominican Republic, Mexico, Europe) and I've gotten so
much more.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank RS3242
Aloha, Mahalo for staying with us at Turtle Bay. We’re happy to read you had a wonderful experience. We appreciate you sharing ways you believe we could enhance the experiences of our guests as well. We will be sure to share your thoughts with proper management. We hope to have the honor of serving you again someday. Aloha.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Only spent a couple of nights - wish we stayed longer. Buffet breakfast was the best we had on our whole trip. Range of restaurants was good so you don't need to travel. Our room on the 6th floor was just heaven - from the view of the ocean to the funky shuttered bathroom. Grab a cabana on the beach - it's definitely worth it. Such a lovely location - an easy drive to nearby beaches. Would definitely recommend staying here - away from the noise and chaos if Honolulu. With your balcony doors open at night, all you hear are the waves. Just relax.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LisaBidgood
Aloha, We wish you could have stayed longer with us on the Fabled North Shore too. We’re thrilled you found your own personal heaven at Turtle Bay- sleeping to the sounds of the ocean and enjoying our breathtaking views. Thanks for recommending Turtle Bay to others and we hope to see you again soon! Mahalo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kahuku
Waikiki
The Modern Honolulu
The Modern Honolulu
#5 of 84 in Honolulu
Hilton Waikiki Beach
#27 of 84 in Honolulu
Waikiki
Trump International Hotel Waikiki

Been to Turtle Bay Resort? Share your experiences!