“Location, location, location”
Review of Sharon's Serenity

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kailua
Sharon's Serenity
Ranked #6 of 13 Kailua B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 August 2012

Having been to Hawaii on the way back to Oz from Canada and staying only in Waikiki for a couple of nights a few years ago, I was looking for a different experience this time. I'd located Kailua and Lanakai as the places we wanted to be as I'd read about the kayaking and paddleboarding, the snorkelling and the wonderful beaches and figured this would be a great place to spend a few days. I did a bit of research online and after comparing various places, booked Sharon's B & B from Australia. She was very prompt and efficient with her responses and we found the place easily from the directions she sent us.
Before you stay in B & B's you have to realise they are NOT hotels and if you go with those expectations, you will be disappointed. Staying at Sharon's is certainly somewhat like staying with an elderly relative and yes, the decor is "eclectic" and the furniture quite old but the overall location, space and comfort more than compensates. Having said that, I found all the knick-knacks, pictures, ornaments, old family photos, books etc quite fascinating. To me, it was a real Hawaiian family home and we loved it. Sharon could be a bit abrupt but I discovered that this is probably because she is a bit deaf and overall she was very accommodating. It didn't faze me in the slightest to make our food side by side with Sharon in her kitchen. In fact it felt very friendly and I enjoyed chatting with her and since I am a doggie-lover, I enjoyed the company of "the boys". We had use of the kitchen 24/7 instead of breakfast and it was fine. I just rummaged around when I needed things until I found what I wanted. One thing I would say however, is that the BBQ is out the front, old and rusty and definitely not in use so if you were looking to use that, forget it!! We ate out or had takeaway or salad so it wasn't a problem.
We had the Poolside Room and even tho the bed was old, we slept fine every night. We don't like AC's anyway so the fans were fine for us. The shower was hot and the water plentiful and Sharon provided clean towels and fresh linen twice in the 6 days we were there, as well as beach towels, so absolutely no complaints there.
The garden and pool were just gorgeous to relax in and the location of the house was perfect. It's within easy walking distance of Kailua, a great little town but with everything you could possibly need, including a Whole Foods, Longs Drugstore, Macy's, lots of cafes and a good pub. It's within easy walking distance of the beach and the hire place for kayaks and SUP boards and easy driving distance of Honolulu and various other attractions of Oahu.
We certainly felt we had good value from Sharon's Serenity and really enjoyed our stay there.
Mahalo Sharon!!

Room Tip: We had the Poolside Room which was the old master bedroom. It was large and comfortable with plenty...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank marvalus

Reviewed 11 June 2012

Sharon's home is lovely, sitting on a canal where canoes and kayaks float by all day. The house has a very Hawaiian feel, the pool is beautiful, the breakfast plentiful and delicious. There are always interesting guests to chat with and share island tips. Sharon is wonderful and her dogs are adorable. I stayed with Sharon for two weeks every summer when I lived in NY (at least 5-6 years). Seventeen years and two kids later, I went back last week for a much needed break. It was as perfect as I remembered. On top of all that, it would be impossible to find a comparable spot at such a low rate.

Room Tip: I always stay in "the blue room." Private bath, nice size, comfortable bed and chair. Fr...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Joan H
Reviewed 11 April 2012

This was the seventh time to visit the Island as my son lives there. We have stayed at other places and found that this is the BIGGEST BANG FOR THE BUCK ! you dan find on the Island.
We thoughly enjoy our stay. This is a very homey atmosphere with a continental breakfast to get you started for the days acvtivity. We stay at VRBO sites only as we cannot stand the noise from busy hotel rooms. To the lady of the house, thank you sooooo much for your assistance.
We will Definetly be back.
Love Russ & Patti,and Karlie.

Room Tip: The Pool Room we stayed in had a great view of the pool and the canal was the perfect size for the t...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Clinton H
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Quiet location in a safe residential neighborhood. Easy to find and easy parking. Garden has a clean pool, flowers, birds, and backs onto a quiet canal. Across the canal is parkland and the mountains. Breakfast is more than adequate. We stayed in the cheerfully decorated Pool Room. Towels, soap, and hot water are plentiful; the bed is large and comfortable. One can walk to a general store (5 minutes), a packed local restaurant, not expensive, called Buzz's Original Steakhouse (10 minutes) and the excellent Kailua beach (15 minutes). Kailua is a good location from which to explore the East and North shores of Oahu without the expensive parking and ever increasing traffic congestion in Waikiki. About 30-40 minutes from Honolulu Airport car rental locations.

Room Tip: Ask for Pool Room if available.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank charles_wen
Reviewed 21 January 2012

We celebrated our 25th anniversary by this trip around Hawaii and being in Oahu at Sharon's, in the Pool Room, could not have been a better choice! It is an enchanting quiet place: a water view from the garden, a very short walk from Kailua beach, a wonderful lady who welcomes us, a very nice customized beakfast to start the day... We live far awy but if we go back, it will be THE place.

Room Tip: The Pool Room is large and nice, the whole place is really quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Martine C
Reviewed 22 December 2011

My wife and I were celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary and meeting a couple who were getting married while in Hawaii. We did not want to stay in Honolulu because of the daily traffic jam getting in and out of Honolulu which starts at 4AM-8AM going in and starts at 2PM -6PM going out. Parking at the hotels is $25 a day.. Sharon's house is only 30 minutes from downtown. We stayed 9 nights.

We did not know what to expect from a B & B. Sharon has set the bar very high. She would fix a morning breakfast of coffee, juice, fresh fruit such as pineapple, mango, papaia, strawberries, yogart and on and on..Many days, we would skip lunch..days when we would leave before breakfast, she would set out rolls for us to take and the coffee was on a timer and ready for us..GREAT FOOD!

The pool room that we stayed in was ALWAYS clean wiith fresh towels for the bathroom and for the beach..No air conditioning since you don't need it.. 2 ceiling fans worked perfect..The bed was awesoome..firm with plenty of pillows..We slept so well..

Her house is 3 minutes from Kailua Beach State park..WORLD CLASS and so beautiful. Great wind surfing, Kite surfing and outrigger canoes close by to use..

The best part of all was meeting other couples like Tony and Mariana from Germany and Art and Ruth from Oregon..We shared many interesting conversations around the breakfast bar and out by the pool..

There was plenty of parking around the house. The gardens are so lush and full of flowers..Sharon takes excellant care of her home..

I can not thank Sharon enough for making our first trip to Hawaii so romantic and worry free. She has several great restauraunts close by like The Pub. Shopping centers are 2 minutes away. What more could you want.

Good friends, great hostess and my 30 year best friend..I hated to say Aloha to our new friends and look forward to saying Aloha to Sharon on our next trip..Who knows, we may take the whole family and rent the whole 4 bedroom house... with great love and appreciation, Mahalo Jerry and PJ in Dayton Ohio

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sunny_Beach_Traveler
Reviewed 21 September 2011

We have been coming here since 2008, so we must like it here. I wont go much into the positive points, close to the beach and kailua town. For non drivers, there are close public transport connections. A lake view from the back garden. And always agreeable fellow guests. The breakfast will fill a hole till lunchtime, and will ensure that you get some fresh fruit every day (since i am not a much of a fruit eater at home, its good to have it forced on me). Good wi fi connection

Just to answer a few of the negative criticisms, Sharon is a welcoming host and likes having people around, and the house is as clean as your own house or any average hotel room. The decor is quirky, but interesting. The dogs are fine and generally stay out of your way. As far as bugs are concerned, i saw one outside the window once in four visits, that's pretty good for a tropical climate. People have different expectations from holiday rentals, this met our expectations, and we are not backpackers we are an english couple in our 50s.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank fsweeney
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua
Ala Moana Hotel by Mantra
The Kahala Hotel & Resort
Turtle Bay Resort
Turtle Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Kahuku

Been to Sharon's Serenity? Share your experiences!