“Advanced Open Water - Success!!”
Review of Aaron's Dive Shop

Aaron's Dive Shop
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I went to Oahu to relax and to dive. Aaron's was recommended by a friend. I am a newer diver having just done my Open water last year.

Jeff the instructor was fantastic. He was very calm and took his time both explaining things as well as doing demos underwater. I did 5 dives with him and really enjoyed them all. I would dive with him again.

I was traveling alone so some of the dive sites were not accessible as the boat doesn't go out for one diver. So if you are in a group that is best - or call ahead to make sure there is a boat going.

1  Thank SarahElizabeth22
"these guys"
in 8 reviews
"small group"

Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

We had a good two dives on a rainy day. Well organised, well run. Prices are steep in international comparison (but normal compared to other Hawaii diveshops). Boat was an open boat though, which was less comfortable in the rain we had (and perhaps also when the sun shines).

1  Thank Joeri E
Reviewed 3 July 2013

My daughter and I were in Hawaii for a one week vacation. One of her main goals for the trip was to snorkel with the turtles. It wasn't until we were in Kailua did I spy a small dive shop to stock up on some snorkeling gear and a waterproof pouch to keep our keys and phones in while we swam. (I already drowned on electric rental car key & did not want to do it again :)). Anna was the person who greeted us and immediately started to take care of us. She listened to what we wanted, and she showed us what she had. Of course, since we were not experienced snorkelers, I was going more by cost than name brand or top of the line with all the bells and whistles. That did not decrease the level of help Anna gave us, or the amount of patience she had while assisting us in making decisions. The gear we bought was not the cheapest but, the next level up. There was only one waterproof pouch. After we had made our decisions on the gear, Anna gave us a map & suggested some other areas, including Kailua, where we might try snorkeling. Then, I saw the "Trip Advisor" sign & mentioned that I was a very active Trip Advisor reviewer. She said that Aaron's gives a discount to all "Trip Advisor" reviewers, and low and behold, I had a discount without a coupon or anything! The only downside to this story is once we actually used the snorkeling equipment, my daughter's snorkel's wave protector at the the top of the snorkel would get stuck. Our purchase was toward the end of our trip and we were staying in Honolulu & were not planning to return to Kailua. No problem, I thought. I'll just call when we got home & and ask to exchange it by mail. However, just like this review, by the time I got around to it, it was a full month later until I read the receipt & it said, "14 day return policy". UGH! I didn't even try to call. I play by the rules. So, just a heads up, go try your gear, and give yourself ample time to go back if you have any trouble :)

Reviewed 27 June 2013

This was an OK experience, but not up to the standards of other Oahu dive operations. I am a certIfied Divemaster and I visit Hawaii frequently. The leader, Jeff, was highly skilled but not familiar with local waters. He was very helpful and friendly, but we went on a "drift dive" in an area not suited for it and ended up swimming against the strong current. One of our group was at 700 PSI in 11 minutes, so that was the end of that dive. The second dive was a big improvement. The boat is small and flat-bottomed. Not real seaworthy-looking. I later found out it has capsized 3 times. The shop owner is not very personable, and if he knows you are not local, does not try very hard. I will use other operations in the future.

2  Thank CarolP76
See more reviews
Reviewed 24 June 2013

My fiancé and I had a wonderful and educational experience in achieving our dive certification. The team here is so friendly and welcoming and took us to some great dive spots. On our open water dive section of certification we saw sea turtles, so many beautiful fish and even an eel. When learning and somewhat uncomfortable with gear the team was very helpful and attentive. We bought some of our essential gear such as a good mask, snorkel and fins and are very happy with them. Additionally we received great tips and explanations from the team upon purchasing our gear. Cost is reasonable and the experience provided by this team is totally worth it! Id highly recommend Aaron's Dive Shop!

1  Thank OahuAloha