“Favorite Restaurant in Kailua”

Casablanca Restaurant
Ranked #52 of 150 Restaurants in Kailua
Cuisines: African, Middle Eastern
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Every time I visit Kailua (I've been there 3 times in the last 7 years), I always go to eat at Casablanca. The food, service and atmosphere just can't be beat for an amazing dining experience. It's got a really cool Moroccan VIBE! The service has always been extraordinary, and all the courses served are just delicious! You will receive an hors d'oeuvres platter to share, then an appetizer, then choose your entrée from the menu, and polish it all off with delicious mint tea and dessert. The price is around $40 per person. For all that, a great value. Also, BYOB your favorite bottle(s) of wine. The server will leave a wine opener at your table, and NO CORK FEE. My husband and I were just in Kailua, and all the other restaurants charge $10 to $15 just to open your wine! Ridiculous! But, Casablanca doesn't charge you a dime. Enjoy! We always do! I can't say enough good about this restaurant. As a matter of fact, when my husband and I got married 7 years ago, this is where we and some friends went for dinner. Just love, love, love this place! Enjoy!!!

1  Thank SandraPittsburgh_PA

Reviewed 20 October 2013

We haven't had Moraccan food in years, so went here for a five course authentic Moraccan meal. Everything from the hors d'oeuvres to the desert was delicious!! Can heartily recommend this for the food and the ambiance. Great evening!!!

Reviewed 17 October 2013

What a little Jewel we found in Kailua, Hawaii. We went with some locals who had not gone there before and they accommodated 7 of us with a reservation. The food was amazing. Parking was limited but street parking was nearby. They explained each course and the décor made you feel as if you had been transported to somewhere else. We'd go back again.

Reviewed 11 July 2013

We stopped here on a whim and it was a fun place to eat with wonderful food. Bring your own beer/wine. They wash your hands before the meal and it is fixed price and at first seemed expensive until you've gone through the process of having all the food/courses. Excellent food, comfy seating and very decorative. Our 12 year old loved it all. Kids were about half price.

Reviewed 27 April 2013

A friend held his birthday dinner at the Casablanca.

I found it hard to review. I realized after looking at my first draft of this review that, overall, somehow the whole experience is less than the sum of its parts.

I would rate most aspects of the Casablanca, taken on their own, pretty good. But my overall impression was just not as positive. And I'm not totally sure where the slippage was.

The restaurant not large, and except for our rowdy group, it was quiet. It's BYOB, so our party saved a bundle on drinks that could go into the food. As other reviewers have described, the restaurant atmosphere involves being seated around low tables, either on a bench that runs along the walls or on colorful low hassocks. I'm not sure whether this is "authentic," but I can say it is not comfortable. "Awkward" is a word that comes to mind.

And perhaps it's just me, but the eating with your fingers thing put me off, especially with the plates of shared appetizers. Spoons were offered with certain foods, not others. Go figure.

The food looked wonderful, was nicely presented, and service was good. Servers were friendly and appeared at the right times with food and refills of water. I'm somewhat neutral on the food. I expected a bit more flavor, perhaps more distinct spices. The soup was quite good, as were some of the appetizers. But I thought both my lamb and my wife's couscous with chicken were a bit bland. Good, but no pop. Perhaps the spices were wonderfully subtle and I just didn't appreciate them. I'll have to see what other reviewers think.

It was a great setting for this birthday party, perhaps for a special occasion when you're looking for something "different," but I wouldn't put Casablanca on our regular restaurant rotation.