“Sketchy location, great sandwiches”
Review of Pepper's Place - CLOSED

Pepper's Place
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: Fast food
Reviewed 10 October 2011

We visited Kailua today and stopped at Pepper's for lunch based upon a review in the tour book Oahu Revealed. The sandwich options were vast and the staff (possibly owners?) were extremely helpful. The shop is located in a very small strip mall and they have only two small two-person tables inside, while outdoor there are a number of iron tables providing ample but not really comfortable seating.

The food was prepared quickly and was outstanding. The cheese steak sandwich is on par with anything found on the West Coast; perhaps not true Philly, but we've not been there!

Unfortunately the location will likely be a non-starter for many. The mall is run-down in appearance and there were, at the time of our visit, a number of persons who were a distraction from the visit. As an example, there was a couple sitting at one of the two tables inside when we arrived. They did not seem to be eating but rather just hanging out. One then took her soda cup outside to her bicycle where she pulled out a bag of liquor, poured a handful into the cup, and went back inside to top it off with soda. They were harmless, but the atmosphere was not comfortable and pleasant for a family group.

Pepper's offers a fantastic sandwich, but know going in you will have to be okay with the distracting company.

1  Thank Swim54low

Reviewed 27 July 2011

we make it a point to go here each time we are in Hawaii (Oahu). Great little sandwich shop--they are more hot subs than sandwiches, but there is a famous sub shop in the same little strip mall so I guess they have to say sandwiches. Their food is fresh, prepared on the spot and is good value for the money. It is a little mom and pop and the owners are charming. We highly recommend this place. Stop and take sandwiches to the beach with you, or after a day of swimming and enjoying the wonderful water, stop for something to eat. I don't think you would be disappointed.

Reviewed 16 September 2010

If you need a change of pace from a burger this is the place. I loved the Italian sausage on a bun with onion and peppers. It was a good price and I sat outside and enjoyed watching the locals. Not a fancy place but the staff are friendly and the food was good.

Reviewed 28 December 2008

Fantastic phily cheese steak sandwiches!!!

Reviewed 11 August 2008

Looking for lunch or a light dinner? Then Pepper's Place in Kailua, Oahu, Hawaii is a perfect choice. This is our 4th trip to Hawaii and we always stop there for lunch two or three times over the 3 weeks we are there. The owners, John Pepper and Carol Dee are wonderful and truly understand the meaning of ALOHA. They are warm, friendly people and are more than happy to spend a few minutes chatting and giving suggestions of things to do, places to see. Ask John if he knows any good card tricks and he will be happy to oblige. They claim to make the world's best cheesesteak and while I don't know about the world, I can say it is delicious. I am also hooked on their chili and rice, something that would never occur to me to order back in Massachusetts. Go to Pepper's, I guarantee you will not be disappointed.