“The go-to place for Japanese food in Kailua”

Noboru Japanese Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Noboru Japanese Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #60 of 143 Restaurants in Kailua
Cuisines: Japanese, Asian, Sushi
Good for: Child-friendly
Honolulu, Hawaii
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The go-to place for Japanese food in Kailua”
Reviewed 28 January 2013

OK, so there aren't many--any?--other Japanese restaurants in Kailua, but Noboru's fills the bill nicely. Have been here for dinner multiple times. Usually get the combo with katsu and grilled saba and dining partners will get tempura, grilled salmon, teri beef, or donburi, etc. Recently I switched from tonkatsu to chicken katsu, crispy on outside, tender inside. We like the accompanying little dishes. Service is ok. At its heart, this is a neighborhood restaurant that has a bit of metro feel to the interior. As long as the oil is fresh, the food is great. Also, while not at this latest visit, I once ordered their special set-menu for Girls' Day and it was awesome, so if they are having a special occasion menu, would recommend getting it.

• Visited January 2013

Jerusalem, Israel
“A gem of a Japanese restaurant opp. Safeway in Kailua.”
Reviewed 24 November 2012

A friend invited me to lunch here, and it has become my new favorite restaurant in Kailua. I had a double main course lunch deal, which came with miso soup, salad, and edamame. I had the butterfish, and beef teriyaki. Both main dishes were sublime, especially the butterfish. The soup and salad were great as well. My host had a double main of tonkatsu (breaded and fried pork cutlet) and tempura shrimp with tempura vegetables. He was still praising his choice when we were touring the area.
I will be back, and often!
As well, Julie Yoshioka is a Certified Sake and Wine Specialist, who also gives courses in Sake and wine appreciation.

• Visited November 2012
Bay Area, CA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nothing special and pricey”
Reviewed 18 July 2012

Small place in good location. Sushi was very overpriced and of average quality. Spider roll was poorly done. The Udon Tempura was good. Service was mediocre. Local person went there with said that was their second bad experience with this restaurant and they are not going back.

• Visited July 2012
Seattle, Washington
“Best Japanese in Kailua!”
Reviewed 18 May 2012

Great sashimi! Great prices! Great Saki! Loved the spicy tuna roll--one of the best ever. At least 9 choices for Japanese beer, including micro-brews I have never seen in the States.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank Adam S
Sacramento, California
“Yum! Like Shabu Shabu, but seafood”
Reviewed 28 March 2012

So I wanted to go with the Shabu Shabu, but they had a problem with the meat slicer for some reason. Instead they suggested the Chanko Nabe Seafood and what a great alternative. There was crab, salmon, butter fish, traditional vegetables, chicken, some kobe beef, and a few other delicious morsels. I LOVED IT.

My wife and I were the only non Japanese patrons in the restaurant... which I took as a pretty good sign that the food was good. The service was friendly and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. The only thing I didn't like was that I could have used a bigger table. The butane burner used to cook the bowl of food was large and made it a little hard not to spill everywhere. Although I would not let that deter me from returning; I would for sure go back.

• Visited March 2012