“Dirty and loud”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kailua
Sheffield House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #6 of 13 Kailua B&B and Inns
Calgary, Canada
“Dirty and loud”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Overall regret staying at the property: There is a very heavy layer of dust on all of the picture frames, both of the ceiling fans, both of the large portable fans, underneath all the furniture, and the wicker furniture has a heavy layer of dust embedded in it. I have stayed in several B&B’s in Italy and England and I have never seen a dwelling offered for rental with so much dust.
The owner of the property is very aloof, we knocked on their door several times for assistance, and no one was home. I don’t mind that so much, but the only times that I spoke to her were when I happened to see her in the driveway. I let her know that we were out of stock on an item in the kitchen; she dropped it off but did not even knock on our door to give it to us which would have been a great opportunity for her to ask us about our stay. I have seen her rebuttal in other reviews that she is giving people their privacy, but she keeps at such a large distance that she is not available at all. As a business owner, it is her responsibility to show her customers that she is present (i.e. not running off somewhere when I happen to run into her) and open to receiving feedback. I have also seen her rebuttals that say that if she does not know about something then she cannot fix it. In this case, this unit never should have been rented out to us in the first place, and she should be embarrassed for providing such accommodations to fellow human beings. If we would have told her about it when we arrived, would she have fixed it? We would have had to relocate to another accommodation while she had the place properly cleaned from top to bottom.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Catherine P

New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 April 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 10 days and 9 nights for our honeymoon last month. It was my husband's first time and my second time in Oahu. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here at the Sheffiled's b&b- we stayed in the garden suite and it basically had everything we needed. We stopped by Walgreens the night we got there to pick up some things, and then got back to our room, looked through the cabinets and realized we bought some things we didn't need to because they already had it set out for us. So check to see what they have first before buying anything.

Space- we found that the space was perfect for us. What you see in the pictures is what you get. The dining table was perfect for our take out dinners. The couch was perfect for lounging. Our favorites were the bed- perfect for my 6'4" husband and me to fit on. It was really comfortable too; and bathroom- the shower was huge! And has a sliding door that allowed for the breeze to flow through the room throughout the day.

Hosts- were very sweet, super friendly and accommodating, in no way intrusive at all, gave us complete privacy, but also were readily available when we needed anything. They gave great recommendations for local restaurants and places to see.

Location- as someone who has stayed in Honolulu and did all the touristy things and was constantly around tourists on my first visit to Oahu, staying in Kailua for my second trip was perfect, especially on my honeymoon. Kailua itself doesn't have as many tourists as other places and you get more of a local feel in this area. It's very relaxing area that offers a lot of things to do. We rented a car just to save time on getting around and we also wanted to do some things in other cities. If we only stayed in Kailua the whole time, we wouldn't have needed it as much. The Sheffield house is walking/biking distance to everything pretty much- grocery stores, restaurants, fast food, rental places, beaches, etc. If you're wanting to see other cities/areas, Kailua would be a good place to stay at because it's pretty equidistant to all the other major areas in Oahu. Also, the drive to these other areas offer spectacular views and lookouts.

Cleanliness- we found the place to be very clean when we arrived. Everything in the kitchen area was clean- fridge, counter, cooking utensils, etc. Bedroom and bathroom was super clean too. Throughout the week, we probably could've used a broom to sweep away the sand we brought in everyday. We didn't bother asking our hosts because it wasn't really a big deal for us, but I'm sure if asked, they would gladly provide one. All the towels, sheets, and blankets were clean, and in the middle of our stay, Paul gave us fresh new towels and replaced our sheets. Paul commented on a previous post that they have a contract with Terminex. We can verify this as they came and fumigated our room on one of the days we were there for their monthly cleaning. We saw a roach a couple days later and told Rachel and she had the Terminex guy come back and redo our room. We didn't have any problems after that.

Privacy- the hosts give you the privacy you need, but if you need them, they're always around to help. We did notice that sound carries between the two rooms which didn't really bother us, but may be an issue for others.

My favorite thing about this place was its proximity to the beach- literally 2 blocks away. Also the beach here wasn't crowded at all- anytime of the day, even on weekends. It was perfect. The sand was nice and clean- no seaweed, shells, pebbles, etc. in the water. The water was clear too- spotted some sea turtles while swimming. The area is a little windy but still great for swimming and body boarding. Beaches are my thing and I'm so happy we were in Kailua Beach for our honeymoon. We had the best time here. (The Sheffileds provide body boards, beach mats, and some other things that you can easily bring to the beach with you. So convenient!)

Overall, the Sheffield house is the perfect place to stay if you're looking to be away from all the touristy areas but still enjoy everything Hawaii has to offer. We would definitely recommend it to our friends, family, and anyone else looking for a vacation place in Oahu. And we hope to be back and stay here again some day soon.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Ishael A
Reviewed 19 April 2014

My husband and I have been to the Sheffield House many times and always find it immaculate. Paul & Rachel are both very accommodating and friendly, without being intrusive. As the vacation rental units are adjoined to their home, they are readily available for questions or concerns.

Regarding roaches that a previous guest mentioned, I do not understand how, if they emptied their trash daily (as is required), and stored their food in containers or in the frig that it was such a problem. Hawaii is the tropics, afterall, and sometimes no matter how clean a place is, they find their way in. But since that guest made such a big deal about it, I called Terminix and verified that the Sheffield's do have an account for regular pest control.

I highly recommend the Sheffield House and would not hesitate to return again

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mary S
Shreveport, Louisiana
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Our family recently took our first Hawaiian vacation and thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Sheffield House. Kailua is far from the high rises and traffic of the main tourist areas but has all the necessities for a great vacation - this is what you think about when you think of Hawaii. A quick block's walk brings you to one of the top ranked beaches in the world (I believe Trip Advisor ranked it #8), and the Sheffields provide beach towels, mats, boogie boards, chairs and the like to make for a perfect day on this gorgeous beach. No need to fight for towel space like in Waikiki - this is where the locals go! We rented both spaces, and they were both very comfortable and spacious, meeting our needs very well. You have two designated parking spaces, a private entrance, and private lanais to each room which are landscaped with lush tropical plants. This windward side of the island turned out to be a great location for getting around the rest of the island. It's easy to connect to the main roadways and the airport. We would absolutely recommend Sheffield House to our friends and family - Mahalo!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank mwosborn
Shreveport, Louisiana
Reviewed 1 April 2014

On our recent family visit to the Sheffield House we found it to be delightful. Our family of 5 used both of the rooms, I happened to read the review that was before mine. We did not see any evidence of roaches or any other bugs for that matter. The rooms were very accommodating and offerred the privacy needed but we certainly were able to interact with the host family. They provided a muffin type breakfast for our first day with plenty of coffee to make as many cupsas we needed in our rooms. After making coffee we would use the sitting areas outside and enjoy the birds and sounds. I did not notice the traffic sounds. It was nice having the small refrigerator to keep the water/drinks for our day trips cold and any other items that needed refrigeration. We did use the new A/C at night as that is what we were use to but open the windows during the day. The beds were comfortable and the rooms very clean. We loved the closeness to the beautiful beach and were pleased to find the owners had the towels and beach equipment for our use. It is easily reached within about minutes from the airport..(only a couple of turns) We so enjoyed the neighboring, locally owned restaurants that were provided by the owners. Food, atmosphere, people were so delightful. Would I stay here again....you bet...Do I recommend Sheffield House...Absolutely..I hope to have the pleasure to visit again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Gardena, California
Reviewed 24 March 2014

BOTTOM LINE IF YOU CHOOSE TO STAY HERE:
* IF YOU DON’T LIKE BIG CREEPY CRAWLY ROACHES DON’T STAY HERE.
* IF YOU DON’T WANT RUDE, CARELESS HOSTS IN THE EVENT YOU DO ENCOUNTER ROACHES (and you WILL!) WHILE STAYING HERE, DON’T STAY HERE.

BETTER YET… JUST DON’T STAY HERE. PERIOD.

This is speaking for BOTH ginger and garden suites!!! They both share common walls so it is HIGHLY LIKELY that if there are roaches in one suite, there will MOST DEFINITELY be roaches crawling over from one to the other as they share the same walls!!!

My boyfriend and I had booked the Ginger Suite for five days + six nights, from Monday, 03/17 to Saturday, 03/22. I had booked this in advance and was very excited for my trip out to Hawaii, as I have never been.

Definitely a first trip out to Hawaii to remember! Unfortunately not for the amazing beaches, the amazing food, nor even for the beautiful weather. It was for the lack of consideration, poor customer service, and lack of good judgment that now has forever tainted my image of bed & breakfasts’, as this was also my first time staying in one. Good job Sheffield House Bed & Breakfast, with double kudos especially to Paul for helping to facilitate and influence my changing opinion of this :)

I am DEATHLY afraid of roaches. If given the opportunity, I wouldn’t lay on a bed of roaches (especially the ones found at the Sheffield House) if offered $1 million dollars. Apparently on my first night of staying at the Sheffield House, my boyfriend killed a big roach without having told me (so as not to scare me) as he knew we still had a long stretch of five more nights to go. Second night of staying here, no roaches (that I saw). Third night, four roaches TOTAL that we had seen (please refer to my posted pictures).

Here’s what happened. So it’s about 10PM, boyfriend and I are laying in bed watching some TV, when I saw three BIG, UGLY roaches (one big one on the wall, and two big ones crawling on the floor). IMMEDIATELY I got out of bed, raced over to their house (posteriorly adjacent to my room), and confronted Paul about the roach issue. Paul in disbelief said, “How is that possible? We get the room fumigated once a month.” And in response, I said, “Even if you do, there are three big roaches that I see, and they are still there.” So he went over to my Ginger suite to try to reconcile the issue. He followed promptly with Raid in hand and visually inspected the place. He then said, “Welp, if they’re here, I don’t see any. They must’ve ran away.” He said that carelessly and with such disinterest evident that he just wanted to just return home and that him rattling random objects in the room to no avail resolved the issue. I responded with, “They’re just hiding. I’m deathly afraid of roaches!!! I didn’t know that you had roaches here. I can’t sleep well now tonight now knowing that there are big roaches in the room.” He offered to shake things up around the room, which he did so superficially. He swept one dead roach from behind the trash can and said that’s all the roaches he saw. (FYI, that roach was just there, my boyfriend and I had no knowledge of it). Before appearing as though he was going to retire back to his house, Paul in total disbelief as if I had said the most ludicrous statement, said “I find it very hard to believe that you said you saw roaches. How is that possible? We fumigate the place once a month.” Be that as it may as he says he does, which month he’s talking about beats me completely. Could’ve well been some month back in ’76, because fumigation or not, whatever way, shape, or form, they’re fumigating, has more than proven their efforts to be highly ineffective. Just that lack in believing that a customer that is paying good money to stay at their B & B, has nothing better to do with their time than to bother you at some odd hour in the night for roaches should be convincing enough. So when he said that statement, that just did it for me. I am trying to compile together an idea as to why he was behaving and speaking to my boyfriend and I so carelessly, suggestively, and condescendingly. I don’t know if it’s because he looked at us and he thought we were younger thus making it okay to speak to his paying customers that way? I have no idea…age, or ANYTHING, you should speak respectfully, courteously, and act like you give a damn to your paying customers as they are the ones bringing you business. So I told him that there were three roaches still running about in the room (could’ve well been more too!), and that I was just too scared to sleep in the Ginger Suite tonight because I couldn’t sleep there restfully and peacefully knowing they were still there. I asked him if I can have a discount on that night since I’d be sleeping in my car, and he was so quick to respond with an unyielding refusal saying, “No! I’m not giving you a discount.” He stood in the doorway in silence as I just sat there in disbelief pondering how he had single-handedly made my highly anticipated Hawaii trip take a turn for the worst. He said I’ll leave the raid here. And I told him to just close the door behind him and he left.

I apologize for sounding like a big baby, but I cried when Paul left the room because I was so upset that I paid $900 to stay here for six days. Rightfully, I am entitled to have someone give a damn and try to correct and make things right especially since I didn’t sign up to stay in room infested with roaches!!! Had I known there were roaches you bet your behind I wouldn’t have stayed there! Like any good business, when a restaurant messes up on your order, they won’t charge you for it; when a hotel is overbooked, they’ll give you a free upgrade or comp you a free night; when you complain about an employee at any establishment and speak to the manager to complain, they’ll offer you something to compensate for your bad experience. Paul was so insensitive to his paying customer and offered NO ALTERNATIVE in correcting this huge fault, and that I had this dilemma of where to try to sleep peacefully that night. I’m three months pregnant so should I chance staying in the small ginger suite with no air circulation and subject myself to the fumes of raid as they stay stagnant and overpowering if my boyfriend were to spray it to kill roaches? That night my boyfriend killed four BIG roaches that were ALL OVER the suite!!! Please refer to my pictures!!!

In the morning following that night, despite having three more days that were already paid for in advance, my boyfriend and I packed our bags ASAP and checked out first thing in the morning.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank katrina e
KuuleiRoad, Owner at Sheffield House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
I, Paul, must reply to this review.

Our guest came over earlier in the day and after paying her balance said that she would be leaving early due to a "family emergency" on the Mainland.
In the evening , she came over very upset at having seen roaches. I came back with her and turned the place upside down, looking under, behind and inside every place that I could find the offending bugs but I did NOT find any. They may have been there, but I could NOT find them.

I explained to her, and as our website states, we live in the tropics and bugs are a fact of life here. Bugs live in the environment and occasionally sneak in. We take this very seriously and we do all we can to keep the house bug free. We clean Very Thoroughly between guests. We have a contract with Terminex who comes and treats the place regularly. We pay for a contract which includes a clause that they come back and treat again ANYTIME we see bugs. If you wish to verify that we use their service please call them at (808) 486-2418 and verify service by our address 131 Kuulei Road, Kailua or phone number (808) 262-0721 . Our service technician is Troy. You may ask to speak to Troy regarding the chemicals that he uses and when this room the Ginger Studio was last treated.

In the past, we used to encourage people who have a concern about bugs to NOT stay in a ground floor room in Hawaii, but to instead to stay above the 4th floor in a high-rise hotel. However, we have since heard of bugs on an upper level floor of a hotel.

After inspecting every inch of the room and the bathroom and not finding ANY bugs, I left a can of Raid with her in case one came into view. I was very concerned and I did everything I knew to do.

We are very sorry about her fear regarding roaches.

Paul Sheffield
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 23 November 2013

We returned to Kailua in late October for our 5th visit to the area. It is a given that we agree with the posted comments from guests that it is a wonderful place to visit with a spectacular beach to enjoy.
However, our comments on the Sheffield House cannot be as positive. We have rented accommodation on each of our visits prior to this one and unfortunately, Sheffield House ranks last in favour. On a positive note, the owners were quick to respond to any issue, and we did have a few, and we appreciated their efforts to respect our privacy. That was definitely not a negative as some other reviewers have found. However, we are sorry to be more disapproving than satisfied, as owners Rachel and Peter are nice people.
The location of the cottage is a nightmare as far as being in a tropical environment. You don't hear the cooing of the tropical birds so much......more the roar of the constant traffic on the main road fronting the property.......which begins very early in the morning! Even the garbage trucks are up early in Kailua.
If you want a dark garden with lots of foliage, and accommodation surrounded by a tall fence, then this is the place for you. Notwithstanding the tropical greenery, we found that instead of being inviting and relaxing, it was claustrophobic and allowed for absolutely no air flow through the cottage. The interior was hot and stuffy, even with a ceiling fan on and the slatted windows wide open. We used the only AC, in the bedroom, just a couple of times in the evening to cool things down for sleeping, relying on the two large and very noisy floor fans, along with the ceiling fans, to cool the room enough to be comfortable, Only one problem.. it was a competition between the fans and the traffic as to which was noisier.
The kitchen equipment provided was old and needs upgrading, the small bar fridge we coped with but were unhappy to find the teeny tiny ice compartment clogged with ice build-up and was in need of defrosting, a task one would think would be on the to-do list when guests are expected. A coffee maker that only makes two cups. We had to ask for a BBQ, which took a couple of days to appear, and had to replace the beach umbrella (the umbrella on offer had the bottom pole duck-taped to the top pole); We received reimbursement for a new one we purchased.
Not that we came to Hawaii to watch TV, but to have it mounted on the bedroom wall and to have to retire to bed to watch TV was not the ideal situation. The bed itself was quite comfortable, but for sleeping, not relaxing! The bathroom was probably the best part of the unit.......it was nice to shower and be able to have a breeze waft though. However, we only wish that the towels had not been so grey looking with a few light stains. The coloured towels were much better.
To the owners and other readers it may sound like we were very fussy occupants however, having been in the holiday condo rental "business" ourselves, we know what we had provided for guests......our rental was as if we were going to live there ourselves; what was good for us was good for our guests. We found that in Kailua before and will go back there next time........lesson learned to plan one's holiday accommodation well in advance to make sure the best are available! Sheffield House is not the best bang for your buck, unless you have very low expectations.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank nanajo42
KuuleiRoad, Owner at Sheffield House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Thank you for your thoughts. We have removed some of the large plants from the garden area
and permanently placed the Weber grill in the Garden area as a result of your comments.

The Garden Suite has quiet, wall mounted, split system AC which was installed for those rare fall days when the trade winds do not blow. It is there for still days. The floor fans were requested by a previous guest who did not like AC. We would have gladly removed the floor fans if we had known that you did not like them.

If we had known that you wanted a larger coffee pot we would have gladly put one in the unit. We put the smaller size coffee pots in the kitchenette to free up counter space.

We have bolsters that guests can use on the beds for lounging. If we had know that you wished bolsters or more pillows we would have gladly brought them over. We are on the list of places to stay for the local hospital and purchased the bolsters for our guests that are recuperating and waiting for the final doctor check up.

A previous guest left the broken umbrella. It was a housekeeping oversight that it was not removed. We do not ordinarily provide beach umbrellas. The wind on the beach sends beach umbrellas flying. We are the Windward side of the island.

We have talked to our housekeepers and and are working to see that the cleaning and maintenance issues has been resolved.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua
Waikiki
The Modern Honolulu
The Modern Honolulu
#5 of 84 in Honolulu
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,846 reviews
Turtle Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Kahuku
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,726 reviews

Been to Sheffield House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!