“It's Fun to Grill Your Own Meat and Veggies.”

Gyu-Kaku Japanese BBQ Dining
Ranked #9 of 132 Restaurants in Kaneohe
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 16 March 2013

Our kids loved this meal. It was fun to grill at the table, service was prompt and attentive, and we all left more than satisfied. The Harami-Miso skirt steak is cheaper than other beef, but it was the tastiest to barbeque. I wish veggie servings were larger - we got just a few slices of onion or zucchini at each request - but they were fresh and flavorful off the grill. Off the appetizer menu, the crispy smoked pork tacos were memorable - they were so unbelievably good, I wanted to drive back the next day, even though we were hours away by then. The shrimp bibimbap was also delicious, and the kids like watching it cook in the bowl.

Date of visit: March 2013

Reviewed 21 January 2013

My daughter and I went in the afternoon during happy hour and we were pampered by our attentive and knowledgeable waitress. She went out of her way to answer our questions about the menu and to offer suggestions. The meat was exceptionally tender and we love to be able to grill it at our table. Portions were generous for the price and we most definitely will return.

Date of visit: January 2013
Reviewed 20 January 2013

Our group of 4 ate here last Friday night for their happy hour. We were seated after a short wait and our waitress was busy but friendly.

Since we ordered from the discounted menu, we were able to try lots of different appetizers, meats and drinks. Grilling your own food at the table is fun and unique (it reminded me of a more casual version of Melting Pot back on the mainland). They have super happy hour Sun-Thurs and regular happy hour on Friday after 9 pm. Loved the sweet potato fries with wasabi dipping sauce and the bacon wrapped filets. Our meal ended on a yummy note with s'mores for dessert.

Date of visit: January 2013
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Despite Gyu-Kaku being a chain restaurant, the food has great quality. There are many choices of meat & vegetable combinations. Great prices & very filling. Intimate seating, friendly servers & nice ambiance. The black wood & dim lighting reminds me of when I went to Kyoto. I go to Gyu-Kaku a lot! I order a bowl or rice, Miso skirt steak & seaweed soup-it's delicious :) Each table has it's own grill where you cook to personal perfection. It's fast, fun & very interactive. Strongly recommend :)

Date of visit: January 2012
Reviewed 5 March 2012

My family of 5 went for an early (11:15 AM) Sunday lunch at Gyu-kaku and were immediately seated. The restaurant was not too crowded, but I have heard if you come in the evenings, there can be a long wait. Service was excellent. Our server was friendly, attentive and extremely helpful in explaining the menu to us, helping us work our mini tabletop grill, and catering to our every request (and we had many!). The menu is huge: an assortment of raw meats, chicken, seafood, vegetables and rice balls for grilling, as well as appetizers, soups, noodles and other dishes that come already cooked. Since it was "Happy Hour" when we came, we got to choose from an additional menu with discounted items. We ordered many of these so we could each have a taste of as many different foods as possible, as well as several bowls of rice. Everything came quickly, within 10 minutes of ordering.

Did we have fun? You bet we did--cooking, flipping and basting our food, dipping each bite in the shoyu sauces, and trying all the different cuts of beef. Even the 7-year-old could safely grill her food with tongs. The kids especially loved the broccoli in cheese sauce and potato with butter, which both came in steam-your-own foil packets. Mom enjoyed the grilled sweet peppers, zucchini, asparagus and mushrooms, and Dad loved the beef tongue, filet mignon, and the fact that he could cook his meat to the exact doneness of his liking (rare, of course). I thought the tender bistro harami was fabulous. For dessert my sister and I shared the green-tea ice cream with Bubu arare, which was enough for the 2 of us. The sweet ice cream with the salty, crunchy cracker balls was a tasty combination, but next time I would order it "light on the arare"--it was a little too salty for me. All in all, we had a great experience at Gyu-Kaku and will return for special occasions, as it's too pricey to visit often.

Date of visit: March 2012