“Go elsewhere for a meal on the North Shore”

Coral Kingdom Restaurant
Ranked #96 of 131 Restaurants in Kaneohe
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Reviewed 15 November 2013

This was the lunch stop we had as part of a Roberts bus tour and I would not recommend you choose to go here if you have any choice in the matter.

Although it was efficient and probably the only place in the area that can handle a tidal wave of 60 customers at a time--reason enough for individual travellers or families to avoid it--if you're looking for food, do yourself a favour and keep on driving. The place was a weird combination of gift shop and restaurant and seemed to have come straight out of a bygone era or decor. The prices of the souvenirs was high compared to other places in Honolulu. The food was the worst bit by far, with the mahi mahi coming out limp, seemed reheated and left us feeling awful for the rest of the day.

Avoid!

1  Thank MapleLeafGirl02

Reviewed 2 November 2013

As members of a bus tour, we didn't select the lunch stop. With little time to peruse a menu (dozens of hungry people waited in line behind us) we thought turkey sandwiches were a safe bet. There is no table service. You order at the counter.

The only bread choice is white sandwich bread. Ugh.
Our sandwiches took quite awhile to prepare. Apparently huli huli chicken is pre-cooked in large quantities because several people in line after us got their food before us, but if you order something other than chicken, you wait.

The sandwiches looked good upon arrival, piled high with lettuce and tomato, but we discovered there was almost no meat. The very thin layer of turkey looked like combination dark/white - not good quality white deli turkey slices.

We paid $7 each for white bread, sliced tomatoes, a slice of turkey and some lettuce. No side of chips or fries with the meal. Not even a dill pickle. I wouldn't have paid $3, had I known what I was getting. Coffee was $1.50 and a bottle of water is $2.

The café is inside a gift shop. The shop has some really interesting souvenir items, but the moment you stop to look at something, a store employee is on you like glue, trying to sell you. That annoyed us no end, so we stopped looking almost immediately and left the building.

The primary reason buses bring groups here because the parking lot is large. At peak lunch time (noon) there were no other patrons except our bus group. That fact speaks volumes. The locals weren't eating here.

1  Thank FancyFree55
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Stopped here for lunch on our way to Polynesian Cultural Center. Tasty food and service was good. Teriyaki Chicken was delicious. Very nice gift shop here also. Will return next year.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

I was on a Roberts Hawaii grand circle tour bus, and this was our lunch stop. This is a common stop for islands tours, as the staff was very eager to serve the awaiting hungry tourist. I was skeptical at first about the quality of the food, but, after ordering their Huli Huli chicken plate, I found it to be a very tasty meal. The chicken was tender, full of flavor, and at about $11 bucks + tax, I think it was worth it. I looked around inside the gift shop, a bit on the expensive side, I did not purchase anything here. It's a worthwhile stop to grab a good tasting lunch.

Reviewed 16 May 2013

This place closes early (I believe four o'clock), but it's an interesting place to stop for food if you're driving up Kamehameha Highway the the north side of the island from the east. Because they were closing so early, all they had available at the time were sandwiches and burgers (no meals).

PROS:

- Super friendly staff in the food-service area. Everyone here greeted us with a smile! :)
- We both got hot dogs. They were very large, hot, and tasty.
- Convenient location right on the highway with ample parking.

CONS:

- Super-expensive. The hot dogs were $6 a piece. Even downtown Waikiki had much cheaper offerings.
- The place really didn't feel like a restaurant. It felt more like a gift shop with a food stand added in as an afterthought.
- The staff in the gift shop area made you feel like you were a criminal. They actually followed me around the store as I went to use the bathroom.
- Food service ends very early in the day.

OVERALL IMPRESSION:

Stop here for a quick bite if you're driving up the east coast and you just want something quick and easy. It will be pricey, but it will also get you on your way with a full stomach.