“TRULY BREATHTAKING JAPANESE BEAUTY...!”
Review of Byodo-In Temple

Ranked #1 of 40 things to do in Kaneohe
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed 11 December 2013

We arrived via a tour bus, and what struck me as odd was having to go through a cemetery to get here, how very strange indeed.! However once we saw this beautiful temple set in a glorious setting ringed with mountains, we knew we were in for a rare treat. Just walking towards this temple had me franticly reaching for my camera and at the very large ornate Bell I admit I did have a good "Bong" with it, moving along I was acutely aware of the large ponds filled with thousands of Koi carp and Black swans surrounding this temple. And upon entering the main hall the sight of the very large golden Buddha brought back memories of the golden Buddha in Bangkok another magnificent sight to behold too, moving through here you do get the sense of being somewhere special in Oahu and the colours of the building so vibrant and calming just like the many magnificent peacocks strutting around.!
Being on a timed visit with a tour does have one drawback.. Lack of time. And with this in mind we tried to make the most of ours here, moving swiftly along we found a gift shop selling some fascinating Japanese merchandise, it was here we bought a lucky cat and an ornamental dragon which were reasonably priced considering where we were. You can also buy some fish pellets to feed to the Koi carp for a Dollar or so and create your own "Feeding Frenzy" in the moat that rings the temple which we duly did, and with the amount of fish here one could easily "walk" on the fish across to the other side, so many in fact. As has been noted watch out for those seriously annoying mosquitos ( They're almost as bad as some of the irritating fellow squawking tourists wandering around.) a good repellent should suffice. All in all this was one major highlight on our tour and how I wished I could have stayed longer but, as it was we were the last ones back much to the "Annoyed" looks of our fellow travellers, like I cared.!
My advice here folks is simple, just try and get to this glorious temple under your own steam and do spend some quality time enjoying the peaceful setting and the friendly Japanese people maintaining it, I just wish we could have stayed longer and wandered the grounds as it's one of these places you simply can't miss while on Oahu..!

1  Thank Bigb67Scotland
Write a ReviewReviews (1,329)

Reviewed 8 December 2013

Hidden in the back of a peaceful valley resides this scaled replica of Japan's 11th century temple. Built in 1968,to commemorate the Japanese immigration to Hawaii,its construction was without nails,with the design characterising a mythical phoenix.
Stepping into the main hall,an 8-foot gold-leaf lotus Buddha sits laced in aromatic incense. Remove your shoes before entering,after admiring the peacocks meandering across the lush,shady gardens. benches line the two-acre pond filled with thousands of koi,making it a perfect spot to relax,reflect or meditate. I would strongly recommend wearing mosquito repellent.
Step-up to the plate and gently ring the enormous brass bell to experience its calming resonance . This abode of worship is an open-house to all denomination
A point of interest. You reach the temple via the Valley of the Temples Memorial Park,a huge ,Shinto,Christian,Buddhist and pet cemetery in the Windward town of Kane'ohe. This makes a lovely change from visiting beaches.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

I was not sure what to expect when I arrived at the Valley of the Temples. It is actually a cemetery, with the temple located in the far rear. I actually drove past the entrance the first time.

This was my first experience in visiting a temple, and the beauty and serenity were breathtaking.
An unexpected surprise were the peacocks and two black swans!

Well worth the time to visit. Don't forget to ring the bell prior to entering the temple.

1  Thank Karen B
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Beautiful scenery and life in its pond! The mountain view is gorgeous, and clean air is worth breathing. You must check it out, Kahaluu, Hawaii!

Reviewed 23 November 2013

The Byodo-In Temple is located at the foot of the Ko'olau Mountains. We drove past a few times and thought we got lost until I decided to drive inside the Valley of the Temples Memorial Park. I plugged in the address on my GPS, but the. GPS did not tell me to drive inside the Cemetery. The temple is located at the back of the cemetery, where the road ends. There is a $3 admission fee per adult, cash only. Don't forget to bring your camera as there's plenty of scenic views. There is a small souvenir shop located next to the temple. Attractions include the sacred bell, a 9-foot Buddha, a reflection pavilion, and a pond with hundred of Koi fish. You might even see a few ostrich roaming around the property. The ostrich are wild and will chase you if bothered.

1  Thank sevenkings