“Fabulous transition location when moving in or out of Hawaii”

Paradise Bay Resort Hawaii
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kaneohe
Kaneohe, Hawaii
“Fabulous transition location when moving in or out of Hawaii”
Reviewed 21 October 2011

We recently spent 30 days at Paradise Bay Resort (B&B) on Kaneohe Bay on the windward side of Oahu while we waited for our sea freight to arrive from our previous home in Israel. It was a magical month with breathtaking views of the spectacular mountains and the water of peaceful Kaneohe Bay. The resort changed ownership in the past year and the new oweners, Stephanie and David Ryan, are really trying to spruce the place up. One can rent a studio, one-bedroom, two-bedroom, or even larger accomodation, all with either kitchenette or full kitchen. Our one bedroom suite was quaint with simple island decor (comfortable, not luxurious). The king size bed was extremely comfortable. We had a full kitchen. My husband would have preferred a bigger TV with cable, but we managed with the small TV and local channels. We had A/C (not all suites do) which was essential for us during the hot month of September. Our lanai (balcony) afforded us 240 degree views of spectacular scenary. The staff was so friendly and very helpful. Breakfast is simple each morning, but satisfactory and apart from the complementary fun Wednesday night Hawaiian buffet with live music, there is no restaurant for lunch or dinner. This is why the kitchen comes in so handy. There is also a small swimming pool, hot tub/jacuzzi, and a complementary 2 hour boat ride to the reef and the sand bar on Saturday mornings which is loads of fun (rain or shine). It rains more on the windward side resulting in greener scenary! Of enormous importance to us was the fact that this resort is pet friendly. We have a dog who moved to Hawaii with us, and Abby (our Golden Retriever) also loved Paradise Bay. She was provided a luxurious doggie pillow as well as dog dishes for her food and water. Everyone at the place loved her too. I highly recommend this property for anyone transitioning into or out of Hawaii. Families with children can easily be accomodated. Pets are welcome. Keep in mind that the resort is located in a quiet community neighborhood (chickens and dogs plus the mynas in the mangrove make most of the noise) and is not frenetic like Waikiki but slow paced and relaxed. If one is looking for a more traditional and quieter than Honolulu/Waikiki Oahu experience, then this could be a wonderful destination for just a few days as well.

Room Tip: I prefer the mountain view to the water view. A/C is needed when it gets too hot.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Sarah G, Guest Relations Manager at Paradise Bay Resort Hawaii, responded to this review, 28 November 2011
Aloha!!
We miss having you and Abby at the resort!! We are glad that you enjoyed your extended stay with us as we loved having you. Since you've left we have put AC in almost all of the rooms, and have upgraded the TVs in most as well. Thanks so much for all your positive feedback and comments. We hope you guys are enjoying the new house and will come back to see us soon!
Mahalo, A Hui Hou!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Korean first
Haleiwa, Hawaii, United States
Reviewed 10 October 2011

I recently stayed at the Paradise Bay Resort. Upon mine and my husbands arrival, we were greeted by kind attentive staff and a cool breeze accomonaied by tradiotional island music. Our room was modern yet true to a Hawaiian style. We were lavished in amazing linens, a beautiful view, and fresh air blowing through the room. This resort also accomodated my pets as if they were human guests. We thoroughly enjoyed the pool as well as mojito night and the boat cruise. This resort is centrally located and we found it easy to navigate around the island. Tops staying in noisy, over crowded Waikiki. The owners Stephanie and David Ryan could not have been more accomodating. We will be booking again here soon. Mahalo!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Abigail L
Aloha Abigail!
Glad you enjoyed your stay with us at Paradise Bay Resort! We are glad you got to bring your pet to accompany you during your stay, we love animals and we treat them like family! We hope you can return to the resort sometime soon! Mahalo!
Haleiwa
Reviewed 5 October 2011

This place is so magic. What impressed me most were the hard wood floors, and fine quality linens. Nothing is better than crisp fresh sheets to tuck you in. The location has amazing views. It is a great retreat spot for an artist. I would come back and bring my friends.

Room Tip: Choose a waterfront bungalow they are the coolest.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank alexis b
Aloha! Mahalo for your review, we are very glad you enjoyed our room upgrades and new furnishings. We are a great spot for spiritual, yoga, and art retreats expecially because we are tucked away from it all on the Windward coast of Oahu! We hope you can return again with your friends. A hui hou kakou malama pono!
Apache Junction, Arizona
Reviewed 5 October 2011

I really did like this place...They are remodeling all the rooms/cabins so sometimes the construction is in the way, but all in all, we loved it....Very quiet and beautiful; very nice staff who took the time to answer all of our questions about the area. Our rooms were very nice and also very clean. I would definitely go back

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Aloha,
Thank you so much for joining us during your Hawaiian vacation! Our suite and resort renovations are complete and the resort looks amazing! We have added new floors, kitchens, and furnishings to all of our suites, as well as replenishing our lush tropical landscaping. I hope that you get to return to our hidden Paradise soon to see all of our changes. A Hui Hou!!
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 25 September 2011

My husband and I live on island, but wanted a break and decided to go to a resort for the weekend with our 6 month old baby, 6 year old American Bulldog and another couple. We booked a 2 bedroom room. The resort was advertising dogs were free for the month of September, but a dog room cost $175 a night ($209 after taxes) rather than the advertised price at $145. They explained to us, even though pets are free, the pet room itself (same layout and size as a regular room) cost $30 more. We decided to book it anyways. When we arrived the "resort" looked like a motel. It was located in in a residential area wedged between houses.

When we checked in and saw our room, we were disappointed to see how small and dusty the room was. The king sized beds were twin size beds pushed together. Our view from the bedroom was a huge heap of trash. We then noticed a few ants in the kitchen. I went down stairs and asked their policy on leaving and they said we have to pay for the first night because it's nonrefundable, but we could cancel the second night, so we did.

We all went to the pool to go swimming and were shocked to find the pool was dirty and had a film floating on the top. We swam anyways thinking we would shower when we got back to our room. On the way back to our room, my friends went to the spa to schedule a massage, but they said you had to schedule all spa services 24 hours in advance. We went back to our room, showered and got ready to leave for dinner. Right before we left, my husband grabbed the dog bowl provided to fill it with dog food, but noticed it was filthy and had food crusted on it. He washed the bowl and filled it with dry dog food then left for dinner.

When we returned, my husband noticed the dog food and mat underneath it were covered with ants. He threw the dog food away and went downstairs to show management the mat and complain. They told my husband that they would spray tomorrow. I was changing the baby on the bed and saw ants crawling all over the comforter. This was the last straw for me. Fed up, I went downstairs to the front desk asking if we could move rooms. I was told we could only move one room over because it was a dog room. I told him that a wall was not enough to keep the ants away. Plus, the wall had a kitchen on each side, so there were holes for the pipes to run through it and the ants could run back and forth on them. He told me because we had a dog, that was the only room. I went back to the room and asked my husband if I could see how many ants were on the dog food, so he pulled the trash out, and to my horror, it was covered in ants and termites. I freaked out and went back to the front desk and asked if we could leave and get our money back. I had taken pictures of the trash to show him so he would know I was not exaggerating about the termites. He told me he had to call the managers and ask them. An hour had passed and I still hadn't heard from him, so I went back to the front desk and he said the owners said that because they spray once a month, it wasn't their problem. They said I could leave that night, but would have to pay a $50 cleaning fee just for occupying the room. It was late and the new room was bug free, so I decided to stay. Plus there were no outside lights for the walkway and it would be dangerous going up and down the stairs with no lights and arms full of luggage. I used the light from my phone to go up and down the stairs to talk to the front desk.

All night a rooster form one of the houses kept crowing and kept waking up the baby all night long. When I woke up in the morning, there were ants and termites all over the kitchen sink, kitchen counter and just ants in the shower. Nobody showered in the new room's bathroom, so I have no idea why they would be in the shower and we didn't eat or cook anything in the kitchen either. We left immediately after we saw the bugs in the new room.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank Martha B
We are very sorry for all the trouble surrounding your reservation and stay with us. The rate of $145 per night was through that specific travel agency that you worked with, and unfortunately that price was only for our standard rooms, not the one you were in. Our resort is not in busy Waikiki. It is located in a quant residential area which makes it our secret hideaway that most of our guests love. Because you were bringing your pet along with you we could only put you in specific rooms that are desinated to pets. We are very proud to be one of the few resorts on the island that offer pet friendly rooms so that families can enjoy a vacation with their furry family members. We treat all of our rooms the same, especially the pet friendly ones which usually need more attention. We are not a concrete high rise, we are located in a tropical environment, and therefore we might experience a slightly higher number of bugs that are a part of our lush, tropical landscaping, we do however take every precaution that all other resorts on the island take. Our pest control company is one of the most highly respected on the island. The next morning we did offer you a room upgrade at no cost and you refused this upgrade, we wish you would have taken it and gotten a real taste of our Paradise. We hope you will consider coming back to experience our resort. A Hui Hou.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 23 September 2011

I had the pleasure of staying at the Paradise Bay this spring, 2011. Spring is a great time to be in Hawaii. If you love Oahu but are tired of Waikiki and prefer a more peaceful environment, then I highly recommend this hotel. Set up in a boutique style, these newly renovated spaces have all unique floor plans to accommodate couples or group parties in some of the multiple bedroom units, overlooking the water. Big clean new kitchens if you want to cook in, clean bathrooms, and our unit had an awesome balcony overlooking the mountains and the bay. It was breathtaking. There were free Mai-tai Wed. and a boat that goes out to the see the reef and snorkel on sat. The hotel is close to Kaneohe for groceries and restaurants, etc, and 30 min by car from Waikiki, only 45 min on the bus. There is a pool, jacuzzi, kayaks and kite surfing. The staff was friendly and attentive and the owners David and Stephanie were really cool. Its so peaceful and quiet you'll never want to leave. Perfect for a romantic get-away. but I could see coming with family and friends being great as well. Last but not least, tiki torches!
Check out this hidden gem.
-s-

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Aloha,
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and got to experience all that Paradise Bay Resort has to offer. Mahalo for your glowing review, we hope that you can return to our hidden gem soon, maybe you can bring some friends and family!
A Hui Hoi!
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2011

We had three nights to spend in Oahu, September 6th- 8th, to break our journey across the Pacific. We were lucky to find Paradise Bay, away from the high-rise nightmare and shopping malls of Honolulu/Waikiki. It's in a lush, green area, unlike the brown around most of the rest of the coast, with views across the bay to the mountains. Highway 3 gets you to the airport in well under an hour.

We were lucky to be there for a complimentary buffet dinner and Hawaiian music on Wednesday. We left before the social drinks on Friday evening and a boat trip to the sand bar on Saturday. I think we took the cheapest room option which was fine for us, as was the complimentary buffet breakfast, which included fresh fruit and yoghurt. The staff were friendly and helpful.

In the vicinity, Haliewa Joe's restaurant was a short drive away and a delight, set in a garden and with mountains as a backdrop. We enjoyed walking in the botanical garden at Kaliewa and there were trails at Ka'a'awa reserve a short drive away, one impassable in the forest. Kahama reserve's trails may be better.

We'll certainly recommend Paradise Bay to our friends, and return there ourselves if we do another round-the-world trip.

Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Aloha!
Mahalo Nui Loa for your kind words about our hidden Paradise. We are very glad you found us as well and are happy that you got to experience our Wednesday Night Aloha Dinner with live entertainment and Mai Tai's! Hopefully next time you visit you will be able to come to our Mojito Night and sandbar boat excursion. A Hui Hou!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kaneohe
Waikiki
The Modern Honolulu
The Modern Honolulu
#7 of 84 in Honolulu
Turtle Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Kahuku

Been to Paradise Bay Resort Hawaii? Share your experiences!