“False Advertising - NOT at all a Resort - Fix-er-up motel maybe” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Paradise Bay Resort Hawaii

Paradise Bay Resort Hawaii
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kaneohe
Horsham, Pennsylvania
“False Advertising - NOT at all a Resort - Fix-er-up motel maybe”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2012

I totally agree with all the negtive feedback that others have given. When we first pulled up, I was so embarrased thay the other 5 guests in our party counted on me to plan their first trip to Hawaii and see this. We tried to cancell or ask for different rooms and we were told it was booked for the weekend. This shocked me. Yes, cats were everywhere, the smell of cat urin was so strong outside of the room that they gave us and because of my allergies, I insisted that they move us. One of our rooms were moved to a different building that the others and what a shame. 1st the maintenance personnel DO NOT work on the weekends, and all the lights going down the stairs to our room were out, and my husband and I almost fell down the steps. when I mentioned this to the desk clerk he said here's a flash light and I promise it will be fixed in the morning. But guess what it never was when I asked again the next evening why it was not fixed. We were told that they do not work on weekends. They DO NOT CLEAN ROOMS, change sheets or sweep the floors on the weekend. So we were given a broom to sweep it our selves. This was never advertised on the website as we only rented this place for the weekend. I have pictures of my husband almost falling and all the lights out and the stepts, alley way and walkway being totally dark all three nights we were there. Yes, the breakfast was nice plain and basic but ok. As far as the Mi tai night, we were told as soon as we walked up to the lobby that we could only have 2 each, and we would have to wait awhile because they ran out and had to make more. The scenery is pretty, the loby are is nice, but the hotel rooms have alot to be desired. The outside is very rundown. It looked like maybe they were just starting to landscape everything was dug up, and honestly, it looked terrible. I also took pictures of that. Out of a 10, I would give it a 2. BUT the rooms were clean that is all I can say about the place. OLD but clean. There was one girl there on Friday night (when we checked in) that was nice and helpful. Other than that forget it. We felt like we were bothering them. We did not go out on the boat ride Honestly because we could not wait to get away from the place. We only slept there at night. It is away from the husstel and bussel of Waikii, but we definately would never stay there again or recommend it. We were given a hotel comment card when we left and was told that a manager would call us about the problems we had, and I left our cell phone number, but no one ever called us back. I lost the comment card as traveled to two other island after that trip so that is why I am writing this. They knew of all the problems we had and never once did they say we are sorry, how can we make it up to you, offer to upgrade us or give us a credit. If you can find another place on the windward side, do, we rented homes on every other island and it was perfect. Unfortunately this was the only hotel we could find on the windward side. Big Mistake!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
10 Thank ournanna

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Korean first
Walnut, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2012

My husband and I stayed there one week, celebrating our Wedding Anniversary... Not what we were expecting...We will never go back or even recommend this MOTEL!! STRAY CATS are living under the buildings. Seems like the lady owner loves them.. Not a good place to relax..
The room was more like a MOTEL!! by far the best was the boat ride..
Not to go back to FALSE PARADISE!!

Room Tip: The best rooms are the ones overlooking the bay..
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank 65Margarita65
Kayleigh S, General Manager at Paradise Bay Resort Hawaii, responded to this review, 14 June 2012
Aloha Margarita,
We apprecdiate your feedback. Please know Paradise Bay Resort is committed to asuring the best accomodation possible. In our efforts, we continue to support the "Island Wide" initiative in rehoming feral cats.
We are p[leased to learn you enjoyed the Saturday Sand Bar boat excursion. Paradise Bay is known for our serene environment as a true place to relax and enjoy the surrounding areas. We apologize that you did not have the same experience.
Please know if there may be an opportunity to regain your trust, please feel free to contact the resort directly.

Best regards,
San Jose, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2012

Aloha!

I am a local girl from the island, but moved to San Jose CA 7yrs ago! We normally would look into staying in Waikiki, but when I found this resort online I has to check it out! It was like being right home. The resort is on the windward side of island in country area off the bay. The price was very affordable! But what sold us was all the accommodations all the resort had afford! FREE morning breakfast, FREE Aloha dinner, FREE fire show, FREE boat cruise on Saturdays, FREE 2 hr Kayaking, and so much more! They have a laundry room onsite that made it easier for us not to over pack. A beautiful pool, jacuzzi, and barbq area! My family was even welcomed to come on over to spend time with us while having a barbq.

To top it off the service was awesome! The staff was so friendly. The owners were there everyday welcoming there guest and taking care of the property too. Not often to get to meet or even have a conversation with the owners of a resort. They truly shared the ALOHA Spirit! We will be booking here every year for our family trips.

Aloha,
Edwina P. Kamaka

Room Tip: Booking the rooms on the ocean view are so worth the money! :)
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Edwina K
Huntington Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2012

First, I have to say my husband and I are not "resort" or "cruise" people. We would rather stay in a house or apartment then a 5 star resort. With that said, we loved this place. The setting is tranquil and gorgeous, the grounds are very nice with old growth trees and shrubs, lava tiled walkways, lanais off of most rooms. The pool area is very stylish, the self serve barbecues are next to the floating docks with a nice view of the lagoon, the public lanai is a great place to hang out and have breakfast. Our room had a beautiful lanai with a bay view, and the egyptian cotton bedding was soft and comfy. The kitchenettes are great for light meals & snacks. The neighborhood is colorful and local Hawaii, I don't think the other reviewers who complain about the surrounding houses being dumpy realize that those "dumps" are million dollar pieces of property. Getting to north shore and into Kaneohe for shopping was a breeze. We will be back, my husband has monthly business in Kaneohe and I can't wait to return with him.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Elizabeth T
Elkhorn, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2012

My husband and I stayed there 10 days in March. Our first impression was of the junky houses and clutter in the neighborhood. The man at the desk that "greeted" us was not friendly, didn't even smile and acted like he could have cared less if we were there or not. Not a very good first impression! Luckily we were gone every day and only slept there. The food for the Wed nite buffet was average, but they need to make sure there's enough! The bread/rolls were not even enough for the people in line...and they didn't refill till everyone had already finished. And they seriously need to hire some better housekeeping staff. We never knew who was in charge, no employee introduced themselves to us....never knew who worked there and who didn't. They need to have a list of local restaurants, etc. to hand to people when they check in. We had to ask about everything! We weren't told about the laundry room...we "heard" another guest talking about it. Definately wouldn't stay there again. Their website is totally misleading. The ONLY positive thing is it's away from the hustle and bustle of Waikiki and Honolulu.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Penny R
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2012 via mobile

Although I loved the area we stayed in ( Kaneohe ), I wasn't too fond of the "hotel". I called multiple times before we arrived to make sure we were going to get a decent room so I was confident staying there even with some of the bad reviews. To my disappointment, when we arrived our room looked like a poor 2 bedroom apartment. No decorations, and absolutely no view ( unless you consider the clutter filled houses across the street a view ). As if we weren't paying enough already , we ended up having to pay a lot more to upgrade our room to one that was better with actual breathing room for a family of four.

Thinking back on it now I much rather have paid the money to stay at the Marriott condos in Koolina. It was definitely too much money for what we got.

Pros: breakfast every morning. Not much to choose from. Dinner on Wednesday, Mai tais were ok, you can only have two. The food was not good at all but I ate it because I was starving. The best thing about the whole stay was the Saturday sand bar tour and being able to use the kayaks. Also the area had breathtaking views. Staff was nice and helpful. The area was quiet.

More cons:

Rooms are old, furniture is bad, beds are bad, faucets leak, ants in the kitchen, neiborhood is bad ( not your typical resort setting), FALSE advertisement, and way too expensive for what you get.

I would not reccomended this place to any of MY family or friends but everyone has different expectations and standards so just choose wisely before you pick this place. If you have high standards go somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2012
4 Thank EBstarRN
Huber Heights, Ohio, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

I am sorry to say after flying 4,000 miles that we drove to this location and was GREATLY disappointed that we were going to be spending 9 nights in this "Resort". We have stayed at many resorts and/or B&B's and this was definitely not either. It is in a neighborhood surrounded by cars on blocks and roosters crowing across the street. Not to mention the MANY stray cats that roam the property. It was UNBELIEVABLE. We looked at a room and decided that this wasn't the "GETAWAY" we were looking for. Very disappointing that they also kept our first night of about $250. The pictures on their website is NOTHING like the location. We were truly upset and sorry that this place did not meet the expectations that the website promised.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank Chris M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kaneohe
Waikiki
The Modern Honolulu
The Modern Honolulu
#4 of 84 in Honolulu
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,728 reviews
Turtle Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Kahuku
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,533 reviews

Been to Paradise Bay Resort Hawaii? Share your experiences!