“If this is a resort, then I'm the Queen of England...”

Paradise Bay Resort Hawaii
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kaneohe
“If this is a resort, then I'm the Queen of England...”
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

My husband, baby son, and I went to Oahu for a work conference/family vacation in early November. My husband's job paid for 2 days of our lodging, and chose Paradise Bay Resort because it was close to where we needed to be. We called the resort to book one additional night and were quoted a price of $180. We tried to pay over the phone, but we were told that wasn't possible. The night before we arrived, we called to confirm and again tried to pay, but were denied.
Well when we checked in, the price magically changed to $280/night. And surprise, there is a $25/day resort fee, which is not mentioned or charged when you book the room. We tried explaining how we were quoted $180, but weren't allowed to pay over the phone, but they didn't care. So once we paid the higher price, taxes, and resort fees for the days work paid for, it came to almost $500 for one night.
We tried to keep a good attitude. The grounds are nice and the room seemed ok at first, although it smelled incredibly musty. There was construction happening in the room next door and we soon realized we were underneath the dining area, which was set up early in the morning, so it was very noisy.
I'm not sure what exactly the resort fee covered. Breakfast was stale carbohydrates, fake eggs, and vegan sausage...? Paddleboards were $35 if you wanted to use them. The pool had one floodlight that went on for about 10 seconds, then you were in total blackness. The hot tub was barely warm and filthy!
Because they are an "ecolodge", there is only maid service on Monday, Wed, and Fri. If they just didn't want to change the linens, I might buy the Eco thing. But there is no reason not to empty the trash or sweep the room. After no housekeeping on Sunday, I made sure we were gone on Mon so they could clean. We got back that evening, and guess what? Still no maid service. When my husband had to take our trash to the front desk and complain, they said they would send someone the next day.
All in all, I felt this place was trying to charge resort prices, while not even providing the most basic of services you get at a bargain hotel. I would definitely avoid at all costs.

• Stayed November 2013
21 Thank heyheyheyak

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Korean first
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 19 December 2013

We try to be mindful that everyone has their own unique experience while vacationing, HOWEVER we feel as though the negative reviews are truly NOT an accurate description of paradise bay resort. We were here on an extended vacation that started with a stay on Ko'oloni in the Marriott. Obviously the Marriott is the textbook definition of a resort, complete with the spa, the bars, the restaurants, etc. While at the Marriott we stayed in the penthouse on the 17th floor. It was a very nice room. We enjoyed our time there, the staff were fantastic, the food was delicious but having said that, it is a large resort. We wanted to experience Oahu and all that the island offers. We found paradise bay quite by accident, what a wonderful twist of fate for us! This place is (hands down) the best little hidden gem we could have wished for.
We found the staff to be VERY courteous and VERY helpful. The grounds are spectacular, lush and tropical.....quiet.....remote. Our room is heavenly as our lanai is spacious and comfortable. We have utilized the free kayaks and paddled around the bay. I believe that some people come here with the expectation that they can pick up the phone and order room service, be greeted by a bellhop and have valet parking. You won't find that here. What you will find is peace and quiet nestled in a lush garden at the end of a dead end road.....we WILL be returning on an annual basis.

11 Thank Kimberly B
Paradise B, Manager at Paradise Bay Resort Hawaii, responded to this review, 21 December 2013
Aloha Kimberly,

We are very happy to know that you had a peaceful and relaxing time at our resort. Look forward to having you come back and stay with us soon. Mahalo!
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 16 December 2013

This property has a few positives, but, overall, I think it was overpriced and the negatives far outweighed the positive aspects. My husband and I spent two nights here as part of a seven night stay in Oahu. The best part of our stay was eating breakfast on the deck where we had beautiful views of the mountains and the bay. Breakfast was adequate, but maybe just a step above what you would find at a Holiday Inn or Best Western. They serve vegan sausage for breakfast. Don't expect real bacon or sausage on the buffet. I'm not sure why is this called a "resort." There is no restaurant. There really is not a spa on site. I guess they bring trainers, masseuses, etc. in if you request it. It is located on a bay with a beautiful distant view. There is no beach and there are no waves on the bay. We had a waterfront cottage located where the canal joined the bay. Our cottage was right next to the water and,at low tide, the mud is very unattractive. The water in the bay is murky - not what you would expect in Hawaii. The property is situated on a muddy canal. It is located in a run-down residential area, although the buildings and landscaping are nice once you enter the gates. I liked the green, brown and khaki-colored buildings, the stone walkways and lush landscaping. It felt very tropical and old Hawaii. The interior of the cottage was decorated with bamboo wainscoting and rattan mats on the ceiling. The flooring was dark wood-toned laminate. With all of this dark trim, some of the walls were painted olive green. The bathroom tiles were dark green and brown slate. All of this just made the cottage very dark and gloomy inside. The rooms are only cleaned three times per week and because we were there for two nights, we did not have any housekeeping. I found a long blond hair on the dark floor and it definitely did not belong to my husband or me, so I wondered just how clean everything else was. We were supposed to have coffee available in the room for our first night, but there wasn't any. I called the desk to ask for my coffee and had to leave a message. No one brought the coffee to our cottage. The next morning when I went to breakfast, I was asked if I was the one who had needed the coffee and I was told I could have it for the second night instead if I wanted to bring it back to the room. There was never any attempt to just deliver the coffee to the cottage. We borrowed the kayak for a trip on the bay, but there was not anyone available to help us launch the kayak. No big deal, but not what I would expect at a "resort." We did not stay out in the kayak very long. I just did not enjoy the dirty looking water in the bay. They offered free use of snorkeling equipment, but you would have to take it to another beach. Upon arrival, the room was hot and very musty. There were two window A/C units which finally cooled the room after a couple of hours. The hotel requests that the A/C be turned off when you leave the room. I understand the concept of energy conservation and I know that energy is expensive in Hawaii, but I just could not bear the thought of having to wait for the room to cool down again. I suspect there is some mold in the building since it is on the water and they don't keep the A/C on. My sinuses were congested for our stay there. I did not find the bed to be very comfortable. I woke up sore and achy both mornings. There was a kitchen in our cottage and it was stocked with a coffee maker, dishes and a few pots and pans. There was absolutely nothing to cook with, though. If you plan to cook, you will need oil, salt, pepper, sugar and cream for coffee, etc. You will also need soap for washing the dishes. Put everything in the refrigerator to keep the bugs out. There are some little crawling gnat-like critters that show up if there is any food around at all. The bathrooms have pedestal sinks. There is a small shelf under the mirror, but really not enough space for hairbrushes, makeup, shaving equipment, etc. This cottage was really over priced. We had spent the previous two nights at Turtle Bay in a beachfront suite for just a little more. There, we had access to several restaurants, room service, a fitness center, a gorgeous beach, live entertainment, a concierge, walking trails, etc. Paradise Bay was a big disappointment.

Room Tip: I just recommend finding another hotel.
14 Thank debbiturk
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 10 December 2013

We were able to stay one night (thank you Paul) in a very cute studio room. The rooms look like bungalows and are very private. Ours had a large outdoor lanai with sofa and chair overlooking the inlet and heavily vegetated, beautiful grounds. Nice linens, very comfortable bed that was hard to get out of. The room was very clean and modern. Large shower with soaps, shampoo, lotions provided. Room also had small kitchenette with fridge, sink and 2 burner stove top along with a pub style table with 4 barstools. Breakfast, which is included, looked really good, but unfortunately we had other obligations. They also offered a lot of fun activities (snorkeling trip and music in the evening) that we didn't get time for. Staff was amazingly friendly and helpful. This is a great place if you are looking for some R&R on the beautiful side of the island.

3 Thank TravelsMoore
Paradise B, Manager at Paradise Bay Resort Hawaii, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Thank you ! We appreciate all the kind words. Location and Staff are our strength at our friendly boutique resort. We work hard and try our best to make all our guests feel welcomed and relax in the beautiful natural settings.
We hope to hear from you soon. Happy Holidays and a prosperous New Year. Mahalo !
Average Town, USA
Reviewed 9 December 2013 via mobile

Paradise Bay Resort has a few positives, but many negatives. A couple of the positives are being out of Waikiki traffic and being closer to the mountains on the windward side. A few of the negatives, the hotel is loud (even frommers states this), the rooms are dusty, the pool has no view, there is a rooster who lives across the street, there are no walks or runs near the hotel, the staff is inconsistent ( to be honest only one, Tom, was polite and courteous), and the rooms are in rough shape (lots of things breaking in rooms). I know the resort claims it completed a renovation. I am not sure what was renovated, whatever was done was clearly done by the lowest bidder.

I encourage you to look at how many reviews people have written when researching this and other hotels. If Paradise Bay provided even half of what they lead one to believe the resort is, I would have rated it higher. I would have also rated it higher had there not been dust everywhere.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Travel O
We sincerely apologize for having you leave the resort unsatisfied with your stay. I will share your remarks with all my staff and look into the cleanliness side of our resort operations.
Thank you for taking time to give us your honest opinion.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 4 December 2013 via mobile

It was nice and quiet stay in the place where away from the big city like Waikiki. Room is not so luxurious but so far so good. It was quite standard. If you like to stay in private resort, that what you are looking for. However bit nothing around and always rain.....so if you are first time in Hawaii, not better to choose especially for Japanese who loved to stay nice and neat. Anyhow I like this Hotel and this area as well.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank 0930459
Thank you for a candid review. Paradise Bay Resort is located on the beautiful windward side of the island with lush tropical natural setting. Our resort is only half hour away from the hustle and bustle of Waikiki. It is always nice to come back to a peaceful surroundings, relax and rejuvenate after a hectic trip through all the tourist attractions.
Our resort is only 20 minute drive to Kailua and Lanikai beaches. Also, we highly recommend the scenic drive to North Shore via Kualoa Ranch and passing through quaint little towns.
We are glad you liked our resort and look forward to having you visit us soon. Mahalo !
Kingston, Idaho
Reviewed 27 November 2013

My husband, son, and I, stayed in room 18. It was a studio with two king beds. When we arrived to the town of Kaneohe, we were so glad it wasn't as busy as Honolulu. This was a Tuesday night, November 19th, and the resort was quiet. The front desk was helpful and recommended places to visit and eat at. The morning breakfast at PBR was great with fresh fruit, vegan sausages, eggs, gluten free breads, and so much more! My favorite was the Guava jam and the Papaya. The coffee and juice were really good too!

We awoke Wednesday morning to the sound of birds, and had the most wonderful view of the bay. The folliage made us feel like we were on a secluded island. We saw snails and little green lizards as we walked up to the office for breakfast. My son picked plumeria flowers off the ground every day to put in his hat.

We used the Kayaks and snorkeled on the reef. The equipment was free to use, and what an experience! We met a local fisherman on the bay who let us try out his 20 year-old paddle board made for fishing, and he threw his net over my son to show us the old Hawaiian way of fishing. That experience was priceless! There is a really great view of Chinaman's Hat in the bay as well. I would definitely stay at this resort again! A big "Mahalo" to all of you that operate the resort! We couldn't have stayed at a better place.

Room Tip: Room 18 was nice, but a top floor would have a better view, and be quieter. Our room had an air con...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank DMarie632013
Thank you for the kind words. We take pride in the work we do and always appreciate it immensely when our guests notices.
It is always a pleasure to hear from our guests, and I have shared your comments with our staff. We look forward t your next stay with us. Happy Holidays and Mahalo !
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kaneohe
Waikiki
The Modern Honolulu
The Modern Honolulu
#6 of 84 in Honolulu
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,839 reviews
Turtle Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Kahuku
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,715 reviews

Been to Paradise Bay Resort Hawaii? Share your experiences!