“Awesome beds”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kaneohe
Northern Illinois
“Awesome beds”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

As you can tell from some of my other reviews, I don't sleep well and care about bed quality. This was one of the best beds I've ever slept on. We received a free upgrade to a two bedroom suite on the canal. I think the room number was 41. It was a very unique situation which we thoroughly liked. We had large lanai and were adjacent to the floating dock. Yes the water is mucky here. I understood that going in. It is in a bay on a canal. It's not really oceanfront but it is on water. There is a nice mountain view from the restaurant. We did not eat dinner here. The breakfast buffet was not good. The eggs were always cold and there was never enough. The rooms were nice, the beds amazing, and the location good as long as you have a car. I would most definitely stay her again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ivankurtz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Korean first
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

I thought I was a hotel snob then I read some of the other recent reviewers. I thoroughly enjoyed this place. They certainly don't market themselves as an enormous mega-resort like Turtle Bay, so if that's what you're looking for....uh, then book Turtle Bay. However, if you're looking for a relaxing hidden gem without pretentiousness and exorbitant fees then look no further. It's nestled along what's referred to as a "tributary", which leads to the ocean right around the corner. The rooms are quaint with nice lanais and a mini kitchen. They do have an air conditioning unit that worked great, and a nice upgraded bathroom. Along with free parking and the free breakfast (which consists of hot dishes as well as pastries coffee and juice), you have unlimited access to paddle boards, kayaks and snorkel equipment. It is off the beaten path, and you should definitely get a rental car if you come here, but if you'd like a low key serene place, I highly recommend it.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Kelly M
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

The internet site made this place look upscale, inviting, water involved top end resort. Reserved a "beachfront cottage" so we could spend quiet days lounging on the beach and enjoying water activities. Nothing could be further from reality!
This "resort" is located in the middle of a working class neighborhood (nothing wrong with this type of neighborhood, but pics made the appear to be a high end location). Checked in and was sent down a steep trail to our "cottage". The view as arrived at our cabin was of a tidal basin that appeared full of backwash from a sewage or drainage feed. Water was black and filthy looking. This is NOT an ocean front property. It is a stale tidal basin with NO BEACH and water you wouldn't dare put your toe in. Stepping to the front door we were greeted with some smoke wafting from the guests on the other side of the paper thin divider on the deck. Because there is no air conditioning (or perhaps there was a window unit that was not on or working), the windows were open and the smoke was wafting throughout the room. The inside of the room was dark, dingy and very old looking. The furniture was rustic at best. Within 5 minutes my wife begged me to get out of there, even if we had to end our vacation on the first day. She was ready to go home. I went back to the check in desk and asked to get my money back so we could leave. They gave me back the $1,200 I just paid, but would not refund the $350 deposit I provided. I finally was willing to pay $350 to walk away from this trash heap. They did inform me this was a non smoking facility and guests can't smoke. I urged them to go visit the guests on the other side of the paper divider. Beware if you look at their internet site....it is NOT what it appears to be. As an ending note, I called Turtle Bay when we left this dump and was able to book the most amazing room, with the most incredible views for less than what this dive was asking for their room. This property almost ruined our annual get away to the islands. Costly lesson learned.

Room Tip: Don't book a room. The water front cottages are not a value because you won't want to get i...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Rock J
Sydney
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

Look, I'm not going to harp on about this, just be aware of the following if you book a stay here:

The views of the mountains are beautiful but you need to know the rest:
They only serve dinner twice a week I think and you need to book. It is only 35 bucks a head for three courses. We left early so did not try it.
They don't serve lunch
They don,t have a bar
Breakfast is only available from 7 to 9am. I am still asleep at 9am, I don't know about you.
The furniture is on the tatty side with dusty floors and the decor is very dated, dark and gloomy. The place is not exactly cheap. We paid the big bucks even with the "special deal" that was non refundable.
There is a stovetop but no oven. The fridge is large. The saucepan was a bit dirty.
There was no DVD player and there was no tv in the bedroom.
The wifi DOES work so we ordered takeaway pizza! Basically the only food available that night.

I found it interesting walking around the purely residential neighbourhood the place is located in. I liked looking at all the houses. It is a bit like New Zealand. That was the highlight of our trip here.

There are no restaurants within walking distance, just the yellow mikes chicken truck on the highway which is not open late. But it is worth visiting. Paradise bay resort is basically a self catering experience so make sure you hit the grocery store before you arrive. Don't bother with the so called Hygenic Store on the highway unless you just want a can of Campbell's soup. The Seven 11 next to the chicken truck is even worse.

We do like cats so we're fine with the many who live there but if you hate cats, watch out, they are there in force and lovingly tended.

We lasted one night and went back to Honolulu. Eighty bucks down the tubes each way in taxi fares plus two nights stay wasted. It just wasn't what was portrayed in their materials. Lesson learnt on our side buff I do think the nature of this accommodation should be spelled out more clearly on the website as there is no way we would have booked it had we known what it was really like. I would not call it paradise. And please get rid of of the little squares of broken glass that litter the ground at the entrance of the reception area, near the the paving stones. . They seem a bit dangerous. And mr manager, please don't feel you need to reply to this. I really don't care.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Subber
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

I live in Honolulu and wanted a place to relax and unwind (away from Waikiki). Paradise bay Resort was the perfect place, plus I could bring my 2 small dogs and grandson. The hotel is nestled in a residential neighborhood. The grounds are lush and well maintained. I stayed in a 2 bedroom unit (non-ocean facing). The accommodations were clean and well maintained. Although the hotel fronts Kaneohe Bay, the shoreline is NOT conducive to swimming, however, there are places nearby if you want to go to the beach. I enjoyed the stay, but I have 2 suggestions for management - 1) include dressers in the bedrooms and 2) empty the large trash cans placed around the grounds (there were perhaps 4 large trash cans and they were all filled to overflowing the 2 nights/3 days I was there). The staff were all very friendly.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

This is the opposite of Waikiki, close to nature with great views of the Mountains and the sea. The breakfast served each morning was really good and there are activites every day, book early if you want to join the boat to snorkel. The staff was very friendly, it was Easter when we stayed here and we got Easter eggs with presents hung on our door! Its a short drive to the closest Town where you can buy groceries and there are also restaurants that the staff can help you with. There's also a laundry room, a gym and canoes for use free of charge. We had a gigantic lanai where we had dinner every night. Truly a great experience!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Huntington Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

I found this place on accident as I was looking for a place to crash for the night. When I woke up and saw the view from the dock, I booked a couple more nights. When I finished my job in Honolulu, I drove back to Paradise Bay to finish out my Work/cation. I stayed a total of 7 nights in a couple different rooms, but they all had the same outcome, beautiful, peaceful, very relaxing. Rooms are clean relaxing and they have a daily breakfast buffet with the best view of Ko'olau mountains and the bay.

Room Tip: #41 is my favorite room, most rooms have some kind of view but i liked the access that 41 provided...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Lyle L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kaneohe
Waikiki
The Modern Honolulu
The Modern Honolulu
#4 of 84 in Honolulu
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,787 reviews
Turtle Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Kahuku
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,635 reviews

Been to Paradise Bay Resort Hawaii? Share your experiences!