“Amazing Hidden Gem in Kane'ohe!”

Paradise Bay Resort Hawaii
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kaneohe
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
“Amazing Hidden Gem in Kane'ohe!”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I was only there for the weekend for a sporting event and picked this property for three reasons: Location, Location, & Free Parking... I REALLY wish I was there for longer! The property is in a quiet neighborhood with no other hotel in sight, no ABC store every ten feet, no rude haoles!
The "room" was a one bedroom suite! It was WAY more than what I needed and the only thing I found strange was that their was no in-room phone, which I found that I LOVED!!!
Extremely friendly staff, excellently care for property, excellent amenities!
Not even a grumble from house cleaning from all the Mud I left in the shower than I was gonna take care but they beat me to it!
I come home to the Islands every year and I will be back to Paradise Bay!
Mahalo nui loa!!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Korean first
Florida
Reviewed 19 August 2014

The resort must have spent a lot of marketing money on propaganda for this resort and I bought it but with GREAT disappointment. first, the resort is located in the slums. There were very few nice units, the remainder units fit the surrounding location. second, it is located on the rainy side of the island, we never saw the sun until we went to other side. During our first night we were flooded by rain pouring into our room from the door and walls. The unlit one foot wide steep stair case that led to our room acted like a funnel with all the rain landing in our room. The landscape was over grown so our view was limited. Third, The free breakfast was limited to what ever was left over when you arrived; they did not restock. Fourth, the pool area was dingy and moldy as were the bathrooms in the rooms. The bathroom in our room as VERY tiny, musty with mold on ceiling. They moved us to the best unit on the resort which was MUCH nicer but even the shower in that bathroom was moldy. I asked room service to bleach it but I'm not sure that they knew how.

I thought I was buying a Marriott boutique experience but it turned out to be a hotel eight experience. I booked for 3 nights and could not get a refund so we simply slept there. I'm not sure how much they are paying for the reviews so be careful.

Room Tip: stay on the other side of the island. We found Diamond Head to be the nicest area for weather and l...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Candy M
Earl N, General Manager at Paradise Bay Resort Hawaii, responded to this review, 16 September 2014
Aloha Candy,

Thank you for your constructive feedback on the resort. I am sorry to hear that your experience was not a positive one. I regret the bathroom facilities did not meet your expectations and we have already discussed this with our housekeeping leader for her review and correction. As for the rain, we are on a tropical island and it does rain hard from time to time. I'm sure it rains just as hard in Florida sometimes. All of our collateral state that we are on the tropical Windward side of the island away from the crowds of Waikiki.

Again, we are sorry to hear your stay did not live up to your expectations. It is unfortunate that you think we pay people to write positive comments. Most people truly enjoy the peacefulness and tranquility of the resort. Despite your disappointing experience, we hope that you were able to take home many fond memories of your island visit .

With Warmest Aloha,
Earl
Idaho
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I have no idea what others are thinking when they rate this anything over 1 star - this was a bad experience! If you want a vacation - stay somewhere else. The website is misleading - this place is located in a rundown area that leaves you worrying about your safety and the safety of your vehicle.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank LauriU2014
Earl N, General Manager at Paradise Bay Resort Hawaii, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Aloha,

Thank you for sharing your your experience with us. We are sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us. Everyone has their own opinions on the property and most, focus on the resort itself and really enjoy it. I can tell you that we have a good relationship with our neighbors and have never had any problems with them.

Mahalo again for your time and we hope that everything else worked out for you on your vacation.

With Warmest Aloha,

Earl
Northern Illinois
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

As you can tell from some of my other reviews, I don't sleep well and care about bed quality. This was one of the best beds I've ever slept on. We received a free upgrade to a two bedroom suite on the canal. I think the room number was 41. It was a very unique situation which we thoroughly liked. We had large lanai and were adjacent to the floating dock. Yes the water is mucky here. I understood that going in. It is in a bay on a canal. It's not really oceanfront but it is on water. There is a nice mountain view from the restaurant. We did not eat dinner here. The breakfast buffet was not good. The eggs were always cold and there was never enough. The rooms were nice, the beds amazing, and the location good as long as you have a car. I would most definitely stay her again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ivankurtz
San Diego, California
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

I thought I was a hotel snob then I read some of the other recent reviewers. I thoroughly enjoyed this place. They certainly don't market themselves as an enormous mega-resort like Turtle Bay, so if that's what you're looking for....uh, then book Turtle Bay. However, if you're looking for a relaxing hidden gem without pretentiousness and exorbitant fees then look no further. It's nestled along what's referred to as a "tributary", which leads to the ocean right around the corner. The rooms are quaint with nice lanais and a mini kitchen. They do have an air conditioning unit that worked great, and a nice upgraded bathroom. Along with free parking and the free breakfast (which consists of hot dishes as well as pastries coffee and juice), you have unlimited access to paddle boards, kayaks and snorkel equipment. It is off the beaten path, and you should definitely get a rental car if you come here, but if you'd like a low key serene place, I highly recommend it.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Kelly M
Reviewed 17 July 2014

The internet site made this place look upscale, inviting, water involved top end resort. Reserved a "beachfront cottage" so we could spend quiet days lounging on the beach and enjoying water activities. Nothing could be further from reality!
This "resort" is located in the middle of a working class neighborhood (nothing wrong with this type of neighborhood, but pics made the appear to be a high end location). Checked in and was sent down a steep trail to our "cottage". The view as arrived at our cabin was of a tidal basin that appeared full of backwash from a sewage or drainage feed. Water was black and filthy looking. This is NOT an ocean front property. It is a stale tidal basin with NO BEACH and water you wouldn't dare put your toe in. Stepping to the front door we were greeted with some smoke wafting from the guests on the other side of the paper thin divider on the deck. Because there is no air conditioning (or perhaps there was a window unit that was not on or working), the windows were open and the smoke was wafting throughout the room. The inside of the room was dark, dingy and very old looking. The furniture was rustic at best. Within 5 minutes my wife begged me to get out of there, even if we had to end our vacation on the first day. She was ready to go home. I went back to the check in desk and asked to get my money back so we could leave. They gave me back the $1,200 I just paid, but would not refund the $350 deposit I provided. I finally was willing to pay $350 to walk away from this trash heap. They did inform me this was a non smoking facility and guests can't smoke. I urged them to go visit the guests on the other side of the paper divider. Beware if you look at their internet site....it is NOT what it appears to be. As an ending note, I called Turtle Bay when we left this dump and was able to book the most amazing room, with the most incredible views for less than what this dive was asking for their room. This property almost ruined our annual get away to the islands. Costly lesson learned.

Room Tip: Don't book a room. The water front cottages are not a value because you won't want to get i...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Rock J
Sydney
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Look, I'm not going to harp on about this, just be aware of the following if you book a stay here:

The views of the mountains are beautiful but you need to know the rest:
They only serve dinner twice a week I think and you need to book. It is only 35 bucks a head for three courses. We left early so did not try it.
They don't serve lunch
They don,t have a bar
Breakfast is only available from 7 to 9am. I am still asleep at 9am, I don't know about you.
The furniture is on the tatty side with dusty floors and the decor is very dated, dark and gloomy. The place is not exactly cheap. We paid the big bucks even with the "special deal" that was non refundable.
There is a stovetop but no oven. The fridge is large. The saucepan was a bit dirty.
There was no DVD player and there was no tv in the bedroom.
The wifi DOES work so we ordered takeaway pizza! Basically the only food available that night.

I found it interesting walking around the purely residential neighbourhood the place is located in. I liked looking at all the houses. It is a bit like New Zealand. That was the highlight of our trip here.

There are no restaurants within walking distance, just the yellow mikes chicken truck on the highway which is not open late. But it is worth visiting. Paradise bay resort is basically a self catering experience so make sure you hit the grocery store before you arrive. Don't bother with the so called Hygenic Store on the highway unless you just want a can of Campbell's soup. The Seven 11 next to the chicken truck is even worse.

We do like cats so we're fine with the many who live there but if you hate cats, watch out, they are there in force and lovingly tended.

We lasted one night and went back to Honolulu. Eighty bucks down the tubes each way in taxi fares plus two nights stay wasted. It just wasn't what was portrayed in their materials. Lesson learnt on our side buff I do think the nature of this accommodation should be spelled out more clearly on the website as there is no way we would have booked it had we known what it was really like. I would not call it paradise. And please get rid of of the little squares of broken glass that litter the ground at the entrance of the reception area, near the the paving stones. . They seem a bit dangerous. And mr manager, please don't feel you need to reply to this. I really don't care.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Subber
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kaneohe
Waikiki
The Modern Honolulu
The Modern Honolulu
#5 of 84 in Honolulu
Turtle Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Kahuku

Been to Paradise Bay Resort Hawaii? Share your experiences!