“Aulani is off the hook "Brudda"”

Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Kapolei
Reviewed 4 April 2012

We just returned from an 8 day stay at Aulani. All I keep telling people is the place is off the hook. We have been DVC members for 5 years, and this by FAR is the best Disney vacation we have been on. Our twin 5 year olds, our 11 year old daughter, my wife and myself all cannot wait to go back. Yes, this is a new hotel, and yes there are a few growing pains (see below), but the staff went out of there way to make this an incredible trip. I always love reading trip advisor for the complainers, but I’ll comment on them below.

Travel from HNL is a breeze! Yes you do need a car, or expect to pay for an expensive cab ride. To the poster who said they got lost, really? Um, you take H1 West, and get off at the Ko’ Olina exit-it’s that easy. The trip with 5 pm traffic took 35 minutes.
If this is your first trip to Hawaii, or you have been to other islands like Maui or Kauai, this is O’ahu and Honolulu, it’s an urbanized city. The island is beautiful, but it is more industrialized. Aulani is on the west side, once you enter the Ko’Olina grounds, it’s gorgeous and very secure.

Check in. What can I say? After you pick your jaw up off the floor, we were immediately greeted with fresh drinks and lei’s. Our personal greeter was waiting for us as we did advanced check in (highly recommended) and gave us a brief, but stunning introduction to the hotel lobby, and the unbelievable view of the Waikolohe Valley. In typical Disney fashion, this is off the hook beautiful. We were handed our keys, and our bags were at our room in mintues.

We had a two bedroom DVC room, with an Ocean View. As others have mentioned, what Disney calls an Ocean view means you can SEE the ocean from your room. The only Ocean FRONT rooms our the end grand villas. Mind you, our view was stunning as it overlooked the valley pool area and the ocean/bay from the 11th floor (be aware of this and ask before you get there). The view during the day and night will take your breath away. The suite was as large as the rooms at DVC Kidani Village, but much much brighter. Our kitchen came well stocked, and the layout is huge! My wife is a bed SNOB and said it was uber comfortable. As the rooms are fairly new, they were spotless and flawless. The showers include both a rain head, as well as what I call, a power washer. The two bedrooms include a lanai, and a private lanai off the master. Nice touch Disney!!

The grounds are immaculate. Disney did an incredible job with foliage and flowers, and we saw someone maintaining every area of it daily. Your kids will have a blast finding all the hidden menehune everywhere and the animals secretly carved in the rocks. Aulani shares the lagoon with the JW Marriot, and a little wedding chapel. The sand is perfect with almost no stones. As the waves break through the lagoon entrance, there is very little wake and the water does not get deep for several feet out. We saw toddlers playing effortlessly in the ocean water. Here you can rent boogie boards, stand up paddle boards (my daughter loved), and snorkel gear. For those that don’t want to pay for rainbow reef (see below), there are many fish along the lagoon entrance, and we saw a few turtles eating there daily. Um, personal tip, don’t swim through the rip tide area (roped off). Trust me on that one. Otherwise the lagoon is perfectly safe for everyone. *** Secret tip- walk past the JW Marriot and there is a secret beach. The kids will love the tidal pools and all the little crabs. We were told at dusk the turtles actually come up to shore. Also, the kids can rent a Menehune trail little iPhone doo-dad that is really neat. It is wi-fi and “Aunty” takes you on adventures all over Aulani, with lot’s of special effects. There are 4-5 indoor and outdoor tours using this, and after two hours I made the twins stop as Daddy was pooped!!

The pool, the lazy river, the slides, and the Menehune Bridge are wonderful. Saturday and Sunday get packed, but otherwise I never felt the pool itself to be over crowded. We never waited more than 10 minutes for a slide. It took all week to get the 5 year olds on the body slide, and then we could not get them off (go figure). The lazy river is great and very LAZY, be prepared for a few surprises. Ok, let’s discuss the chair situation. Yes, if you do not get a chair by 10 a.m., you will not get one by the pool. There are several away from the pool, and MANY at the beach (as in no problem), but poolside, forget it. To the complainers, I have a few comments 1) get your lazy butt to the pool early 2) don’t assume if a chair is empty it’s not being used. We weren’t chair hogs. We used two chairs for 5 of us, but mind you we were all over the pool area doing things. For those that have never been to a Disney pool, the life guards are the best in the world. The pool water was a little cool, but was a relief when the hot sun was at it’s peak.

Aunty’s Beach House, to quote my kids is “the best place in the world!!” As a parent, I couldn’t agree more. It’s a full size mock up of a ranch house, and each room has a theme (tv room, garage, kitchen, living room). It’s open 10-10 which not only give the adults a break (yes they will feed them too), but allows you to sneak away if need be. The twins were there for 5 hours while my wife and daughter took surf lessons, and when we went to get them, they didn’t want to leave. They begged to go there everyday. Although it’s free, they do have paid activities like Chip and Dales Party, which the kids love. Also, the security is stellar. They have adults posted everywhere, your kids are tagged and they monitor their whereabouts constantly. You cannot remove your kids without a room key, an alpha and numeric pass code. Top Notch Disney!!

Bottom line, the food and drinks are expensive. Our first night, we got two fish tacos boxes, a pulled pork sandwich, and a hamburger. $67 and the food was “eh.” So, what to do? Well, first, many off the appetizers which you can order poolside are big and reasonable. Sushi heads can order fresh sashimi for $15, not bad at all! We did eat at Ama’ Ama’ our last night. Yes, it was pricey, but the view and the food were amazing. We did the character buffet for breakfast, and the food was VERY good and very plentiful. There is a plaza across the street with a taco joint (good drinks, crappy food), a cute ice-cream shop that serves some food, and an ABC store where you can get deli food (sandwiches, hot and cold food, etc.) pretty reasonable. Best bet is Kapolei 5 minutes up the road. There is a Safeway, Target, and a Costco (good poke!!) and many fast food and Cheap sushi places. We went to Genke which is a sushi conveyor place and ate like PIGS for $60. My daughter and I drove down the road one day and found a shrimp truck and a roadside chicken grill, very very good (thanks again Mama!!). Honolulu is 35 min away. Sansei sushi (best in the world!!) is a must as well as breakfast at Eggs-n-things (macadamia pancakes & Moco Loco mmmmm). Also, you must get malasadas from Leonard’s and must must must go to Puka (now Hula) Dog in Waikiki. We never made it to the North Shore because the kids didn’t want to leave. We did the Paradise Luau walking distance down the street. Good show, food was so so. Don’t buy tickets from them, you can find them cheaper on-line. Oh, don’t forget the shaved iced on property. YUM!

Although we did not do any of the Disney excursions, there is a lot to do on the island. For snorkeling/scuba (besides the lagoon), there is “Electric Beach” 5 minutes up the road. Millions of fish and turtles, and sometimes dolphins. We also did Pearl Harbor and Diamond Head (tough hike, but well worth the view, and then you can go to Puka Dog 5 min away). We would have done more, but we really found so much to do. If you want to surf, I recommend Girls Who Surf (10 minutes away). They were awesome!!! My 11 year old was up by the 3rd run! We did buy the Rainbow Reef pass for the week for my wife, daughter, and me. If you go twice it’s worth it. The twins both did it one day, and although they only went around once, they had a blast. Get an underwater camera. Even non-snorkelers can do it.

The wife and I never made it to the spa, but it looked incredible. My daughter loved the teen spa, and made many friends. The twins loved the outdoor movie, and the menehune trail. Uncle Ito and his fireside story telling was really neat. He is so funny and a wealth of information (now I know that some poi is good). Everyone was very kind, very helpful, and very proud of their home.

Only complaint. Aulani did send a note saying there would be construction by the pool for a new food area. They did not mention they would be jack hammering for 3 days. Was more of a nuisance as we went to the beach when that occurred, but just poor timing on Disney’s part. But Disney did make up for it (polite comments and concerns get you everywhere with Disney).

All in all, Aulani FAR exceeded our expectations. My wife and kids actually cried when we left. Yes it’s expensive, it is Hawaii folks. But you get what you pay for. If you just want Hawaii paradise, go to Maui. If you want to have a week of beauty and have lots of fun too, Aulani is a perfect vacation!

Room Tip: Ask for Higher Floor, Ocean View, Valley Side
26  Thank Boatlesspirate
Write a ReviewReviews (5,510)

Reviewed 4 April 2012

We stayed 6 nights the last week of March traveling from Iowa, family of 4, two boys ages 9 & 12.

* Took cab from airport, $70. Call the consierge the day before departure, they quickly, easily, and at less cost arranged a car back to the airport and it was a flat fee of $55.
* Check in was quick and efficient, we arrived about 2 pm and our room was ready. The bellhop whisked our bags straight to the room.
* We paid for only the garden view, but got a garden/partial ocean view, the view was amazing to wake up to and see the ocean every morning. Basic room, clean, fine.
* Rented a car on site for one day to go to Pearl Harbor and Waikiki. Pearl Harbor was moving, the operations run very efficeintly. We were told Saturday and Sundays were the best days to avoid the cruise ship tourists. We arrived at 8:00 am and our tour was for 9:30, gave us enough time to walk around PH.
* Waikiki Beach was a mess, crowded, way to many spring breakers, could not wait to get back to Aulani!
* The Disney property itself is amazing, beautiful, well taken care of. Staff is insanely cheerful, helpful and so nice.
* Safety was a top priority, lifeguards were every 10 - 15 ft around the pools and lazy river.
* Lots of chairs available on the beach. NO chairs available by the main pool. People got up at crazy hours to put a hotel towel on their chair to save it. As far as I am concerned, that does not "save" a chair that no one used for hours, I simply removed the hotel towel and used the chairs.

Food:
Expensive! Our 12 year old has food allergies and could not order from One Paddle/Two Paddle the pool side grill, plus it was all fried foods and burgers!
We ate at the two other restaurants several times, but for our family of 4 it was $150+ for dinner with no drinks. A child 12 and over has to order off the adult menu, therefore, costing more again. Our 12 year old is about 70 lbs and could no way eat much of a $50 buffet.

There is an ABC store directly across the street, seemed everyone went there. Good place to get breakfast and lunch items.

Roys Restaurant was down a block, across the street on the golf course. Still spent $100 but enjoyed the variety.

Ice cream store is across the street right by the ABC store, good ice cream.

Snorkel Lagoon:
Since we were staying 6 nights, we paid the fee to snorkel in the lagoon for the week. $30 for children and $49 for adults, unlimited snorkeling. Try to snorkel during the 9:30 and 1:30 feedings, TONS of activity from the fish.
If you have children, take them to the Marriott next door and they have hammer head sharks and tons of manta rays and sting rays to view.

Beach:
PERFECT!! While all beaches in Hawaii are public, very few non-resort people use this beach. It does share the beach with the Marriott next door, but not crowded at all, quiet. Great walking path that extends for some time if you want to exercise in the mornings.

When the final tower of rooms opens in August, I question whether there is enough pool area and dining options. Pool area seemed packed chair to chair as it was.

Spent the next full week at a resort on Maui and while that resort was also very nice, we all liked Aulani better. Other than the price of the food, we loved the beach, property, and our entire stay at Aulani!

4  Thank PSlowder

The Challenge.
Spring Break as a family of 4 with a High School Senior and Freshman.
The Experience.
Steps before passing through the main entrance, each of us were individually greeted with gift, and a beautiful smile. A few more steps, the doors to the lobby opened and we are enveloped by a wonderful tropical breeze and an awe inspiring view. The pools, slides, lazy river and beach area are world class. The sunsets from our balcony were breathtaking. In the evening, the sounds of Hawaiian music being ushered through our open balcony door will be remembered for a lifetime. In my opinion, the room with the right view made our stay exceptional. The spa was nothing I have ever experienced - something that you must experience. Our family spa treatment will be remembered forever. Like many of you, I read a lot of reviews on tripadvisor and agree with some complaints. The food at the resort is extremely expensive. The only walk up food service-One Paddle Two Paddle-was only available from 5-8 p.m. I hope Disney reads these reviews and address this issue. It is mentioned in most reviews. To overcome this obstacle, I would highly suggest having a rental car and stocking up at Target or Costco just a few miles away. Also, the ABC store just across the street is a great place for groceries, sandwiches and hot meals. They have a wide selection at reasonable prices. If I had a do-over, which I hope to do soon, I would have stayed at the Aulani for 4 days and spent the rest of our time in Maui. Most people I have talked with suggest island hopping. Overall, our trip was wonderful and I wish I was still in Hawaii. To those planning your trip to this resort, read the reviews and listen to the helpful tips that many have offered. Aloha!

3  Thank hammerangel
Reviewed 3 April 2012

We took a trip to Aulani in March and our trip was amazing. This was our first trip without our kids in quite awhile. There is a ton of stuff to do for kids, but there is also a lot for adults as well. We had planned on spending a lot of time away ffrom the resort doing other activities, but we ended up spending the majority of our time at the resort because it was so comfortable and relaxing. We traveled to a couple of other beaches during our trip and only stayed for short periods of time because the beach at the resort was so nice.

This was our most relaxing trip. Some people have complained about the number of chairs on the beach, but our second day there they received another shipment of chairs and once those arrived there were always a lot of empty chairs.

We were told that the week we were there the resort was at capacity, but it never felt crowded. The beach is very large and the resort has its own lagoon. They have ropes for swimmers and when we swan out past the ropes we saw lots of colorful fish snorkeling. We had planned on snorkeling elsewhere, but after we saw the number of fish in the ocean right in front of the resort we didn't need to go anywhere else. Also, they have an enormous infinity hot tub that we sat in every night and looked out over the ocean.

This staff was the friendliest staff we have encountered at a resort from the front desk clerks, to the servers and the housekeepers. They were constantly cleaning eveything. I couldn't believe how comforatable and clean the resort was. They had music outside every night by the pool and bars which were local musicians.

I would recommend this trip for ocouples as well as people to bring their kids at any age because they have different activities for all ages.

The pictures really don't do this resort justice, it is even more beautiful in person.

Room Tip: We had an island view room and we could see the ocean from our room as well. I would reccomend an i...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jeremy W
Reviewed 3 April 2012

I was concerned about going after the reviews I had read regarding the resort. My two sons (ages 8,13) and I just returned from our spring break, in the resort, on March 28th. We had a wonderful experience over all at the resort. Like I mentioned it was spring break and there was at least one night when I knew they were at 100% capacity. We spent most of our time on the beach and there were always chairs on the beach available. My sons spent time swimming, snorkeling, kayaking and paddle boarding while on the beach. Making sand castles was a daily activity. The pool area was fun for all of us. We enjoyed the lazy river. The room was comfortable and clean. Although the food was good, and the buffet was amazing, there was a night that we went next door to the Marriot because there wasn't any place to eat unless I wanted hamburgers or a turkey wrap, and we didn't mind. I did mind the very vocal people complaining about having to wait for their food at the hotel. I didn't feel like we had to wait too long. We enjoyed the Disney Characters. It was just the right amount of Disney. I LOVED the Starlit Hui, which is their version of a luau without the food. The music and performances were wonderful. We went to a luau next door at the Paradise Cove and I much preferred the Starlit Hui. It was more intimate and kid friendly. The service was wonderful and I found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. I know there are plans to complete more dining options which is needed. Aside from that, our trip was perfect. It was pricey, but not any more than any high end resort in Hawaii. Definitely worth it to this family!

5  Thank Shewholikestotravel
Reviewed 2 April 2012

I looked forward to this trip for months. In fact, the week leading up to the trip, I had nothing else on my mind. I traveled here with my 2-yr old daughter and my husband a few weeks ago for 5 nights. We were joined by a friend of mine, her husband, and two boys (1.5 year old and 3.5 year old). We had a wonderful time, but the hotel definitely fell short on some of our expectations. Essentially, you are paying 5-star hotel prices, but are getting 3-star delivery on service and food. I am idealistic that the primary reason for this is because the hotel is still new and is still getting its bearings. I read so many reviews about this hotel, but you are never really prepared or fully trusting of others until you arrive and experience it on your own. I have broken out my review in various categories…

GROUNDS: The grounds are stunning; the architecture is beautiful. You can see the two worlds meet (Hawaii & Disney). Just as I read beforehand, the “Disney-ness” is so subtle, except for the few Disney characters you see from time to time, it’s just like any other beach resort. When you look at the property at night from your balcony, it is almost looks magical. The lobby area (main building) is probably the nicest I have seen in a beach resort, especially when it is lit up. As you approach the hotel from the highway, you only see two other dated properties on either. It’s either that those properties are under-whelming or Disney has done a great job of standing out next two these 2 Marriott properties. When I walked in, I felt like a kid walking into Disneyland for the 1st time. And not because of anything “Disney”, it was just captivating. We were greeted by someone carrying leis and calling us by our last name (which was the first and last time they remembered our name). I was so excited about what awaited me, just from getting the first glimpse at the lobby. I saw that same reaction on many of the guests’ faces throughout my visit whenever I walked through the lobby entrance.

POOLS: The place is huge, but not Vegas huge. The pools, lazy river, rainbow reef, slides, etc are all orchestrated perfectly. Although, sometimes, I felt like I was in a maze. Now, for the bad news, the pool water was too cold and the poolside service was average at the best. You would think they would heat the pools (especially when it's cold and windy) since it is full of kids. My daughter caught a cold on the 2nd day of our trip. Poolside service does not start till 11:00 am. There is no food or snacks available till 11:00 am. You have to walk to the bar to get a drink. Sure, it’s a bit early for drinking, but I am from L.A. and there is a 3 hour time difference so I was ready at 10:00 am to get my drink on. When you walk to the bar, you can only order 1 alcoholic drink at a time if you are alone. Their answer - "Hawaii state law". So, if I wanted to order a drink for my husband and myself and he was busy with my daughter in the pool, I had to walk back and forth twice. Not very fun to do on vacation when trying to catch some sun. The bar also had no snacks. Finally at 11:00 am, the “few” waitresses start appearing. The pools had 10 times more lifeguards than they did service staff. I know the hotel prides itself on safety, but come on; they need to add more service staff. Another lame rule I had never heard of before, was that if you were not using your lounge chair for over 60 minutes, they would remove your belongings so that others can use the chair. In reality, I never saw them enforce this, but I thought it was a funny rule.

FOOD: The food was average at best and choices were limited. We pretty much tried everything on the menu during our stay and none of it was memorable. The only item that was tasty was the "catch of the day" tacos. My daughter ate chicken fingers everyday. I am not even going to complain about the price here, because all hotels "get you" on the poolside food and drinks. I accepted that a long time ago. The buffet Character Breakfast was fun and entertaining for the kids, but again, the food was sub par given the prices we were paying. We also ate at Ama Ama. Not impressed at all. The kids’ food was better than the adult food. Just as other reviews suggested, I recommend visiting Target or the nearby ABC store to grab some groceries. The lobby of the hotel does have a little souveneir/convenient store, but again very expensive.

BEACH: The beach was beautiful, clean, and waters were calmer than most oceans I have been too. I read about that beforehand and was excited to take my toddler in. However, they had no beachside service. You had to find your own lounge chairs and grab them from a stack. They had maybe 4 permanent umbrellas. If those were taken, you could rent one for $15.00 (half day price). If you wanted food or drinks, you had to walk up to the pool. When I asked some of the employees why there was no beachside service, they said they tried it in the beginning and it didn't work well. Hopefully, they will figure it out and bring it back.

AUNTIE’S BEACH HOUSE: One of the coolest children’s’ play areas I have seen. It’s a good size too; huge outdoor play area with playground type toys. The one personal drawback for me was that I could only utilize this place from 8:00 am to 10:00 am daily. After that, kids under 3 year olds were not allowed. They should add another time slot for toddlers in the afternoon. It was nice to have a safe, contained area for kids to play.

ACTIVITIES: You have to give credit where credit is due. The hotel does a great job of organizing various activities. Every evening, they drop off a newsletter in your room, which contains general information, weather, and the next day’s activities (color coordinated for different ages, times, etc). I was impressed by the information provided and actually used it to plan our day/nights. Unfortunately, our kids were too young for most of the activities.

ROOM: We stayed in the “best” accommodation the resort has, which was a 2-bedroom ocean view villa. It was nice, but not as nice as advertised. Smaller than expected and it should not be called a villa, more like a 2-bedroom suite. The word “villa” gives you the impression that it is a stand alone property. It had more of a pool view although you can clearly see the ocean too. That being said, the room was spotless with a very nice kitchen. We made breakfast almost every morning in the room. The dining was banquette seating so perfect for young children. Added perks that you typically do not see (but we didn’t really use) were the highchair, laundry machines and basket, and a pack n play. I requested that they clean our rooms before noon every day so that we can go back up for nap time (and it was done). The villa had two balconies; 1 in the main living area and another in the master (which is my family stayed in). The one other little issue I had with the room was the shampoo, conditioner, etc bottles, were so hard to squeeze anything out. When we requested more or towels, etc, it took forever to get it brought up. If you are checking out on a Sunday like us, make sure to call 30 minutes ahead of time for a bell boy, otherwise, you are out of luck.

Would I come back here? Would I recommend this hotel to others? Will I come back here? Absolutely, but in a few years. I would especially recommend this hotel to those with kids in the age range of 5-13. If any kid in that age range was asked to right a review, they would sing praises all day long. It appears that the hotel perceives their customer to be this child and not the parent (who plans and pays for the trip). That being said, I get the feeling that the hotel is only going to get better. Impossible for them to “get worse” with a name like Disney attached to it. The items that need improvement are staffing, service, and food. Just witnessing my daughter’s excitement in the water park or at the beach or running into Mickey Mouse was worth the trip and the money we paid for it.

Room Tip: above 4th floor if you want to see the ocean.
4  Thank tpappy
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Pool water was cold - need to heat more like in Florida. Great design but lazy river needs to have more current to keep people moving through it. Clean nice rooms, lovely design of lobby. Menehunie trail for kids is a winner. Great fish tacos at Off the Hook - nice staff here. Some staff need to get into the Disney spirit. One kid wanted a sack from the Aulani gift shop and the cashier would not give him one so he bought a pack of cookies for $6 and she put them in a plain brown bag instead of giving him the Aulani sack. If there is a high price point for a sack just use the plastic ones that the parks give out. Staff to worried about people sneaking in vs taking care of the paying guests. The percent of people just looking around has to be low to the amount of guests on property. A little good will to everyone goes a long way.

2  Thank d0lphin3
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapolei
Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club
Hampton Inn & Suites Oahu/Kapolei
Pagoda Hotel
Pagoda Hotel
#71 of 84 in Honolulu

Been to Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!