“Great family vacations happen here”

Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Kapolei
Reviewed 14 September 2013

We've stayed here 3 times this summer. No, it isn't cheap...but we do think it's worth the money.

The first two stays, we opted to stay in the Disney Vacation Club one bedroom villas. While they cost a few bucks more, they're TOTALLY worth it. The villas are suite style (a distinct and separate bedroom), a soaking tub in one room and a spa shower in a separate room, a washer and dryer (they provide you with detergent too), a dishwasher (detergent provided), full stove/oven, microwave, rice cooker (for locals like us that HAVE TO have rice) and pots, pans, baking dishes, and utensils. There is a pack n play in the room for those with infants. There's also a vacuum cleaner in case you feel so much at home, you feel the need to clean house. The full kitchen is complemented with a dining table and a living room complete with Blu-ray player and gaming console hookups. The entertainment center sneakily hides a murphy bed and the sofa has a comfortable pull out bed. Our units also had a very large balcony that wrapped the entire side of the unit, living room to bedroom. My husband, myself, my step-daughter and my nephew were very comfortable in this room.

Our most recent stay was on a group rate so we didn't have the option to choose the DVC Villa, but got a standard room. When we checked in, they told us we were upgraded to a partial oceanview for free. Cool! We were curious to see the smaller standard room...it actually wasn't too bad. No, it wasn't the villa and we were all much closer in proximity, but the standard rooms are good sized. I've stayed in a good number of hotels here in Hawaii and across the mainland and this is certainly a comfortable size. Four of us again were fine in the room. The bathroom is much larger than any standard room hotel bathroom anywhere and has a separate door for the toilet.

The way to get the most value out of this hotel is to become familiar with it. There are TONS of free offerings here and the more you take advantage of them, the more you'll feel like the stay was worth your buck.

Here are a few tips:
The daily schedule of activities: filled with all the free activities throughout the day around the property.
Aunty's Beach House: FREE BABYSITTING!! Your kids will love it here! There is something for kids of all ages (up to 12) so be sure to encourage them to explore the WHOLE house and the yard. I know people who have taken their kids there and had to force their kids to come out and eat (they will feed them lunch/dinner for a small fee). Adults aren't allowed in the House for security reasons, so you check your child(ren) in and go. They keep your phone number in case they need to call you. Otherwise, they close at 9 PM...enjoy your adult time.
Luana Lounge: Mostly used the day of check out, there are mens/womens locker room with free lockers (first come, first served), showers, toilets, towels, blow dryers, etc. Showers have shampoo and body wash. There is also a 30-second wet clothes dryer so you're not packing sopping wet swim suits in your carry ons. tip: Go early (before check out time) to get a locker. If the womens lockers are taken, husbands check the mens. Those usually aren't. The womens showers usually are packed with moms trying to shower their kids so keep that in mind if you're trying to make a flight.
Pau Hana Center: a huge "family" room where you can make lei for free (ask the attendant for string) every day if you want, rent movies ($3 unless you're a DVC member), read books, watch movies, play video games, etc. You'd think we didn't have a TV in our room...our kids loved it here.
Pool games: The kids loved the pool games at 2 PM. They're different every day. Parents can play too.
Rainbow Reef*: Not free, BUT the kids LOVE this and it is not expensive. I think it was $15 for the first day or $20 for a whole stay pass. Obviously we chose the whole stay pass. The cool thing here is that you can use the equipment not just in the Rainbow Reef but also at the beach. The kids will love snorkeling in the reef and seeing the fish and going to the enclosed beach and doing the same there.

If there were anything to improve on, I think it would be the food options. My kids eat chicken strips and fries EVERY time we go there. My step daughter once at it three times in one day. Yes, she like chicken strips and fries but really I think they lack alternatives that she might like. My husband actually walks across the street to eat at the little eateries there (not that there's a lot to choose from there either). I can't imagine what people do when they stay more than a weekend. I see people with 7 or more pool bands on their wrist and wonder if they've gone broke on food in the "good" restaurants or are eating chicken strips or bacon burgers every day.

When you arrive at and when you leave Aulani, the staff at the entrance make you feel so welcome and so much like this is your home. They are probably the best staff in the entire property. They do their jobs well. I'm sure that when you drive away from Aulani the final time, you'll wish you weren't.

Room Tip: Splurge and get the one bedroom villa on the DVC side.
5  Thank dawnkiyoko

Reviewed 13 September 2013

The resort is AMAZING. We stayed part of the time here and part at the Hilton Village. Will never go bck to Hilton village but would GLADLY come to Aulani many many more times.
There are Disney characters which brings out your inner child. Our daughter loved Aunty's play house. Where they mind your child and have all day activities, an experience she will never forget. Very clean and professional.
Great shows, by the fire pit and the Starlight Hui is a must.
The infinity spa, we sat in with cocktails and watched a whale breeching off shore. We will never forget this place it is gorgeous and the best place you will ever stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Mick O
Reviewed 11 September 2013

The family visited The Aulani from aug 30-sept 6. We were traveling with our 2 daughters(3 and 6).
You are met at the valet with fresh fruit ice water and a lei welcome. My girls wre even greeted with special Aulani necklaces and husband was adorned with kukui nut lei. Your greeter is also your front desk personelle. He took us in the lobby to show us the beautiful artwork on the walls and explained the meaning behind it. It is a stunning lobby!! We proceeded to the front desk where everyone in your party gets their own personalized key. To the rooms we go! There was an employee who was in the hallway by the elevator who accompanied us to our floor and showed us the way! We didn't even ask!! Wow!
We stayed in a standard hotel room (premium island view). Size is a bit smaller than 400 sq ft. View overlooked The parking structure and the backside of the island over the golf course. We had 2 Qn sized beds. 1 flat screen TV. Refrigerator (small), electric tea kettle, coffee maker, play yard ( we never used),premium linens. Nice. This would be our home for 6 days.
Ok on to the good stuff... The resort! There are multiple pools. One is still under renovation (adult pool) but this should be completed by end of September. The lazy river is what we used most. This lazy river is pretty long. Don't get to comfy as there are squirt flowers as you pass tunnels and a bubbling cave with water falls as you go through. There are 2 big water slides. You can ride on tubes (1 passenger or 2 passenger tubes) or you can just go through the non tube slide. The girls enjoyed this very much. There is a main pool area where there are pool parties everyday ( check daily calendar of events for times) where the Disney Characters come out and have fun too. There is also a splash zone for the kids. This looks like a pirate ship. Tons of spraybthings and a slide just for the little ones. Make sure to keep your photo passes with you at all times since their will be photo ops everywhere! Your photo passes are also viewable from your room TV. Pool area all have attendants to take drink and food orders. Fortunately for us we went as the crowds were thinning down as chairs were not hard to find. Pool attendants are quick to fold towels and once the towels are folded, you have an hour before your towel and belongings are put away to free up the chair. Every day you must show your room keys in order to get a special colored wrist band. You must be a guest of the hotel to use the pools. There are life guards everywhere. Little ones can rent floaties if needed. Free! Ok on to Aunties beach house. An amazing place for our daughters. It's clean, secure, organized, and FUN! Have your form filled out before you get here to save time. Your kids get a wrist band GPS tracker. They go in, wash hands and the magic begins. Make sure you check times of special events like making goo or the volcano explosion experiment. You will need to sign up in the morning as spots fill up fast and must be there 30 minutes before start times. They also have "premium" programs which mean they have a cost associated. Otherwise from 9:30-9 the kids can go and have a blast free... All included in your room cost. There's a craft area, outdoor play area, Movie room, computer room and a wall of Disney dress up costumes! The teachers.... What can I say??!!! So sweet! They were all great! Pick up is super easy and secure. You must leave your room key and one check of the computer and the GPS wristband, they know exactly where your children are! You will enter, wash hands and go get your child. amazing!!
Food: plenty of options, buffet, sea side dining (more formal), and snack shacks(one by the beach and one by the pools. Standard Disney prices. Example, hot dog $7.00. It's not crazy expensive but adds up quick. Make sure to pick up your refillable mug at The Lava Shack for $19.00. There are drink stations throughout the property. Also, you can get coffee and tea and hot choco at the buffet all day too. Refillable your whole stay! This is a must do!
There are also plenty of food options across the street at the Ko'Olina stip mall. Pizza place, yummy! Hawaiian place, yummmm yummy! Monkey Pod, yummmyy too! There is also an ABC store for all your snack and grocery needs. This is a more inexpensive option than shopping at the Aulani for groceries and such. ABC also has a great assortment of souvenirs. Keep your receipts as you get a free gift with $100 worth purchases! Remember you have a tea kettle in all rooms so instant noodles and udon... No problem! Also for your sweet tooth, visit the ice cream place.
Alright, I love Disney so much I made DH take me to the DVC timeshare presentation. We dropped the girls off at Aunties and went to the sales presentation. A nice lady named Prema met us. She explained everything to us. This is not a hard close type of presentation! She was sweet and did not pressure us at all. They even gave us gift cards for our time! I'm still trying to get DH to buy me the timeshare!! :) this stuff must sell itself! Again it's Disney and not some cheap Vegas timeshare so be ready for the price tag! I think its worth it.... We shall see.
The staff is incredible! Everywhere you go, you are greeted with "aloha" and "mahalo"! Inknownthey work there and probably are required to do so but employees really do look like they love what they do!
Must do: starlit nui. Check schedules as they only offer this twice a week. A Polynesian variety show. Go early to have the kids participate in hula, songs, craft making... You can also take pictures with the performers. The girls loved the hula girls!
There is a train from Ewa beach on Sundays that goes up the coast. We missed this but I hear it's worth the ride just for the scenery.
Do the crafts! We made flower leis! Again all included in your stay! Beautiful Hawaiian leis! The girls made their own too! You can also decorate canvas bags to take home!
Parking: $35/ day valet or self park... DVC members free parking.
Beach: the beach is pristine! There are 4 man made coves so the water is super calm. There are lounge chairs with umbrellas if you need. Remember, there are no private beaches in Hawaii so there are lots of non hotel guests there too.
Make reservations early for the character breakfast as times fill quickly.
This may be a Disney resort but don't expect this to be like Disneyland as it is not! The hotel has more touches of Hawaii with hints of Disney. It is not an inexpensive hotel (by far) but for us, it was worth every penny!
All in all a very good trip! We will be back again! I hope sooner than later!

Room Tip: Save money by booking standard view rooms as you will not be staying there long!
8  Thank s2kbunny
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I firmly believe that no one understands customer service like Disney. The grounds: amazing. Service: outstanding. To say there is value for the price is a bit more tricky. The rooms are very pricey, but so is everywhere in Hawaii. Couples, I would advise elsewhere- kids and families everywhere you step here. If you are wanting an amazing family vacation, this is the place. Rather than tell you more about it though, it's best just to show you... Here is our vacation video - you will see Aulani in all it's glory!

In a nutshell, I highly recommend.

• Stayed: August 2013
5  Thank Michael W
Reviewed 8 September 2013

For starters I live in Orlando, FL, land of the mouse and was apprehensive about spending a weeks vacation at a Disney Resort when I literally live in tourist-ville daily. My good friends are DVC members and invited me along. This was my first time to Hawai'i and certainly not my last. The resort is themed as a Disney resort, but it's not as in your face as other properties. The service levels are very high, and the resort is run extremely well (I work in hospitality, so my standards are very high).

Upon entering, you are immediately greeted and given a tour of the resort. We were very early, so we explored for a bit, purchased groceries, etc. Other reviews make comments regarding the price/value of this resort. Well DUH it's expensive, it's a beautiful resort in paradise, not a Motel 6, there's a cost associated to that. $4.00 for shaved ice at the pool is worth it, and I am a cheapskate so that says a lot. Go see Tasha and Matt, they'll take great care of you. You can, however travel on a budget here. If you are DVC members, your room is already taken care of with points. You can choose to cook in your room, if you'd like. We did eat in frequently, which saved a lot of money. The kitchen comes in handy. Even if you don't want to cook, you can have Room Service deliver a freshly cooked dinner for a rather reasonable cost, considering what it would cost to eat out. Any leftovers? No problem, put them in the fridge.

The pool area is great. Some bloggers say there isn't enough deck space...yeah it can be tight, right by the pool, but in another 2 weeks or so the adults only area will open. There's also plenty of un-occupied space on the sundeck next to Ama Ama. No one is ever over there, but it is a little walk from the pool. Lifeguards are attentive and Ellis trained. Jeremy remembered me even after days without running into him.

As far as service levels, the Cast Members here are very good. They all aim to please and are very genuine and passionate about their jobs. This speaks volumes from me, I am a Training Manager for a living. Many remembered our names even after going days without seeing them. That must be part of the Disney magic!

The location is awesome. It's secluded enough that you are away from the hub-bub of Waikiki beach, but close enough to other attractions that it's not too far away either. A rental car is a must have. We booked a Garden View room, which was nice. Standard views would have seemed to be in the poorest of locations; lower floors, overlooking parking areas, entry ways, etc. We did make use of the balcony nightly so spending the extra points for a nicer view is worth it. The furnishings in the villa are of the same quality level as to what I would have in my own home.

Overall, this was an excellent trip and I cannot wait to go back. Who knows I may even become a DVC member myself.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
10  Thank Brian W
Reviewed 8 September 2013

We expected the property to be nice, but were still surprised when we arrived. The lobby views were gorgeous, as were the pools and the beach. Our room was very clean and nicely appointed. The spa was fantastic. But, the biggest surprise was the staff -- they were great. The only downside was the food...a little pricey and healthy options were limited.

Room Tip: Low floors have a lot of noise from the water park most of the day.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Brian W
Reviewed 8 September 2013

If price/budget is an issue, this is not the hotel for you. Price aside, this place was fantastic. Slides were great. Lazy river was great. Lagoon was great. 1 bedroom villa was great. Service was great. Most other hotel staff are often indifferent, sometimes even rude in Hawaii. Not here. They were friendly and pleasant. All my kids said this was the best Hawaii trip, even the teenager.

The were a few minor things, nothing that would hold me back from a 5 star rating. 1 pool was still being built. Not a big deal. Limited eating options, but we often enjoy non resort restaurants any ways.

Kid's club (aunties' beach house) was great. The icon hunt thing was cool too. Outdoor movie. Free DVD rentals. Free sand toys rental.

We had great luck fishing on the rocks by the lagoon.

Like I mentioned, kids had a great time. Be parents had a great time too.

Room Tip: Garden view was a true garden. Not a parking lot.
5  Thank ptirvine
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapolei
Marina Tower Waikiki
#84 of 84 in Honolulu
Waikiki
Trump International Hotel Waikiki

Been to Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!