Review of Germaine's Luau

Cuisines: Hawaiian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Authentic luau setting
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Traditional Hawaiian luau food and hula dancers made for a wonderful evening. Included in the price is a bus ride to the luau spot which is on a beach at an industrial park but you would never know you weren't all alone on a deserted island with all the other people. Dinner and a show. It lasts several hours and you get 3 drinks with the package. It was a real fun evening all around. I have been here before but would go back again and again. Germaine's is a legend in Hawaii.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

This was the first luau for both my wife and I, individually and as a couple. The hype led me to believe a wonderful experience was in store. It was not. Our escort, cousin April, was a little gruff initially and only mildly warmed up later. Not sure if it was a bad day or she's worked far too long, but the ride to and from the luau was not as exciting as others have been part of. Our ride was filled with antiquated stories of long past bygone era's. One person even asked me who the people being talked about were. We indicated we were there, for our anniversary but did not get recognized during the show as promised. So after the ride from Waikiki to the luau site where you drive through an industrial district you arrive at a point near Barbers Point Lighthouse.

The food was good, at best. Though honestly I should be hard pressed to say it was good. The pineapple coleslaw was very good and teriyaki chicken almost as good. The pork was ok; I had better in Waimanalo. The fried fish tasted liked mass produced over processed product; caked-on cardboard tasting breading on a heavy and flavorless fish bit. The coconut gelatin was probably the best thing offered in the buffet, imho. The Asian long grain rice was ok.

Entertainment was not given or offered on our bus. Boo! That's where is where the hype was killed. The luau show was exciting, thrilling and filled with dancers in colorful clothes. Just behind them are musicians who play music pretty much from arrival to final departure. The show is what you would expect. A mix of cultural styles and dances with traditional styles. It is choreographed much as shows I've seen in recent travels to Cancun, Mexico and Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. Likewise is was quite similar to shows we also saw at the Polynesian Cultural Center.

Overall it was an ok experience. Nothing more than expected service wise. Food was average. The show fairly average. A great once in a life visit in my opinion.

Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Day started off great when our big tour guide Kale picked us up. Made the 1.5 hour drive go by very fast. Was greeted by hosts with shell lei's and with a great big aloha. Show was good. Ran enough time to keep us entertained and involved and Didn't go to long where we were bored. Food was pretty decent. Some things like the cold salads seemed very pre fab but still tasted good. For the $90 including transportation I think we go our money's worth.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

We had a great time from the corny bus driver to the very end. The food was good expecially the pork. The dessert was not Hawaiian because it was white or chocolate cake but it was very good. They give you drink coupons for alcoholic beverages or you can use them like we did on virgin strawberry or pina colodas. Sodas are free. I tried all the interesting Hawaiian food and didn't care for much of it so I ate the pork, teriake beef. coleslaw, macaroni salad, etc. The dancing was very fun and entertaining.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

My first and last luau. Went to this Luau this past February. We were told by the travel agent we would be entertained on the bus ride over to the luau and how wonderful it all was. Well, we entered the bus to meet our host Kii. She was friendly enough but the entertainment was lacking. After 2 hours getting to the luau, the only entertainment we received was her telling us how to say her name and how to purchase our photos at the luau. We listened to the radio the whole way there and back. After talking to other guests at the luau, they obviously had better bus entertainers than we as they were entertained the whole way. At the luau, the food was not to my liking. I know they are feeding a large group, but let's just say I didn't eat much of anything. The drinks that were "free" were questionable as well. Have no idea what used to make a Pina Colada which I again could not drink. The entertainment was ok. We actually saw better entertainment that was free downtown Waikiki Beach as we walked around in the evenings. Many short luau experiences that were classy and beautifully done. I would not recommend Germaine's Luau at all.

1  Thank Kerri K