“Nice resort, just watch out for the sales pitch and may have to call for room tidying”

Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Kapolei
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I spent four days on O'ahu at this resort because I didn't want to be near the hustle & bustle of Waikiki Beach. I thought this resort was very nice. Food was good, and The Marketplace was a nice feature so you didn't have to go into town to get basics (as others have pointed out, this is in kind of a remote area). If you rent a guest room as I did, be prepared: It's narrow. The ceilings are high which helps, but the room is long & narrow and your balcony is going to be small as a result (just room for a small table & 2 chairs and that's it). You get a little fridge & sink, but no stove.

One thing to watch out for is the sales pitch to buy a timeshare there. They tried to get me to attend a 90-minute presentation and later prepay for 5 nights anytime within the next 18 months both of which I turned down. It's completely understandable that they do it, just saying be prepared for it!

The other thing which led to me giving this hotel 4/5 instead of 5/5 is that I TWICE had to go to the front desk and ask them to send somebody up to tidy my room. After they second time the clerk said "it won't happen again" and it didn't. But for the amount of money I paid, I should not have had to ask in the first place - even if I did skip out on the sales pitches.

Room Tip: Penthouse rooms are pricier, but are worth it in my opinion.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank cbm64

Reviewed 4 November 2013

This hotel is one of 3 major hotels located in Kapolei; however, there are not many other attractions in the area. There is a small shopping/restaurant plaza nearby with a few dining options other than those offered at the hotels. The Beach Club consists of a group of three towers on the ocean with several pools and hot tubs as well as a nice harbor beach. We stayed in a standard room which was nicely appointed on the 5th floor. The air conditioning and ceiling fan were not working to our satisfaction to keep the room cool enough for our comfort at night. In spite of 2 completed work orders, this situation was never remedied. We were promised an ocean view; however, it took a little work to see the ocean from our small balcony. Instead of overlooking a pool, our room overlooked a community barbecue area which we didn't find particularly pleasing. We did not prepare any meals or eat in our room although there was a small refrigerator and a microwave plus dishes, but the only table was the one on the balcony. There were only a couple of restaurant options onsite: Longboards and Chucks. The food at Longboards was average; the meal we had at Chuck's was outstanding and the waitstaff appropriately attentive and friendly. One inconvenience was the requirement to valet park our car, but the parking staff was very prompt and professional. A daily parking fee was added to our room charge.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Ko Olina is a very nice resort spot. You have to know that it is a resort spot away from attractions and city life. Once you are out there it is an expensive trip to visit, travel or site see. Great place to relax with a three pool areas and the lagoons. Food is expensive, but a short bus trip brings you to a little town where things are cheaper than picking up food at the Market Place at the resort. You can eat at the resort in one of three places: Market Place (sandwiches, microwave stuff), Longboards (outside dining of bar food type meals and take out), or the fancy restaurant, and room service.

Room Tip: With the timeshare you get what you get; we asked for an upgrade, but were told they don't do th...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I have visited this the Marriott Beach Club 3-4 times and every visit is an experience in itself. Lovely paradise within paradise. Quiet beaches, smooth water for the children, fantastic facilities and friendly professional staff. Walking distance from PGA golf course, Island Vintage Coffee and top notch restaurants like Roy's. I highly recommend a visit to beautiful Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank PatrickLord
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We stayed here this summer for a fantastic 7 days. We had a midlevel ocean view with accommodations that I’m very used to from Marriott Vacation Club. An Owner of a couple in California, I was know what to expect. Of course everyone has their preferences, but I was concerned about this place by some of the reviews on this page. I accounted for what I saw (parking issues, poor views) etc., and made sure this was not going to be an issue for me. I booked an Ocean view and made sure I got the valet service. Both were excellent. The room was well accommodated as I expected and every day we enjoyed great days at the pool or the beach and nightly sunsets. I’m not a go go go person on vacation so this place worked for me. It has everything I need all on the west end strip. A nice 1 mile walkway down past the other properties, the Disney circus, to the JW Marriott. Each resort has a lagoon and they are great for swimming and perfect for little kids if you have them. Mine are older, but they enjoyed swimming in them and I didn’t have to watch them too close. There are good bars close, Longboards serves a nice lunch, but can be a bit warm sitting outside, and there are other restaurants all close by. A very good Luau is Paradise Cove which is right up the street. Pay extra to ensure good middle seats. There is a Luau at the Marriott but I would only advise it for adults as there is not as much stuff for kids to do. Stay away from Germaine’s. Everyone said it had gone down hill. We did go to Pearl and had an excellent day and got back home before the traffic hit our end. We went in to Honolulu for the day and took a great tour of the Palace (highly recommended), and went to Waikiki beach. It was crammed with summer tourists, but at least my kids got to see it and Diamond Head. There is a bunch of high end shops there now. So if you like that, it’s all there. Some very good restaurants and fun stuff. But after a full day there (didn’t leave until 8PM to miss all traffic), I don’t need to go back real soon. Back at Ko Olina, there is a water park nearby, standard shopping, and great beaches nearby. Surf lessons can also be found nearby with excellent views of Honolulu skyline and Diamond Head (although you are still 15 miles away). All and all it’s a great place to chill, see Honolulu or other more remote parts, and still stay at a very nice place to relax. This area of Oahu reminds me of Maui. Just the right combo of remote island feel and yet not too remote. Hawaii is expensive so I wont complain about how much things cost. If you have a shoestring budget done come here, or just bring your own blender, horse, surfboard etc.

Room Tip: Get the Valet service. Worth every dime.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jim_in_Calif
Reviewed 3 November 2013

The location is great. Love the lagoons. Had a great view. The pools are great. My kids loved the sand pool. The kids club had some fun activities that my kids were able to participate in and that gave them some unique, personalized souviners to take home. They also were able to meet the mermaid Kariel who read them a story & swam in the pool with them. They were very excited about that. The only place we ate on the grounds was Longboards. Great food & very pretty scenery, it over looks the lagoons.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We take several nice vacations and this place is one of our favorites.

Ko Olina is about 30-40 minutes away from the airport. Very quiet and secluded. The opposite of Waikiki.

The grounds are just beautiful and very well maintained. The rooms are very new and spacious. My wife likes it a lot since the beach is a protected cove type of beach where the waves break way out and the beach is very calm. Our kids can play in the water without giant waves taking them down.

Like most resort hotels they charge an arm and a leg for food and drinks but you can get around that with trip to Costco that is a few miles away. There are grills on site and our room has a full kitchen so no problem keeping things cold or cooking.

The resort is really nice. If you are in Oahu go and check out the Ko Olina area and this resort along with Aulani (Disney's Resort). Great area.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapolei
Prince Waikiki
Waikiki
Trump International Hotel Waikiki
Turtle Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Kahuku

Been to Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club? Share your experiences!