“Still love the Ko Olina”

Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Kapolei
Olathe, Kansas
“Still love the Ko Olina”
Reviewed 22 January 2010

My wife and I stayed here for 6 nights in a 1-bedroom in mid-January. As always, we had a wonderful experience.

We were in the Moana tower.

Check-in: We arrived at 10:00 p.m. and checkin was a breeze. There was no line, handed the front desk person my credit card and ID, 2 minutes later I had my room key, and 5 minutes later I was in my room, with my luggage following shortly. Everything was perfectly smooth.

Valet & Bell service: Every member of the valet service was so helpful and nice. I can't really say enough about them. They were very quick to get my car, very quick getting my luggage to my room, and very friendly and helpful with directions. Valet is only open from 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. at the Moana tower, so if you want your car outside of these hours you have to use the courtesy phone out front and call, then they send someone over. Normally it takes about 2 or 3 minutes to get your car, outside of these hours it's probably 5-8 minutes (though you might be able to call the front desk and have the bring it down, didn't think about this until I left).

Grounds: The grounds are simply wonderful. The pools are really nice. The Lagoons are great for catching some sun and swimming in. There are grills all over if you feel the need to do some cooking out. There's a general store which has miscellaneous overpriced items like milk, eggs, sun block, etc. There are a couple resturaunts, which I did not eat at, though I did eat at Chucks Steak house on-site. It was actually quite wonderful and only $80 with tip, which for an on-site hotel serving prime beef, I thought was wonderful. The grounds are wonderfully decorated with many flowers and lots of color.

Rooms: The rooms are fantastic. They have granite counter tops, full size refrigerator, stove, microwave and dishwasher. the unit has on room which has the toilet, sink, and shower, and a separate room with the tub, which my wife absolutely loved, though it was not a jetted tub. The beds as you will find with most newer Marriott timeshare properties are extremely comfortable. There's also a separate little area that can be used for storing your luggage, or sitting and reading a book. the living room is very roomy and very comfortable with a sofa and 2 recliners. The balcony is sufficiently large for eating a nice meal on.

Location: You'll hear a lot about Honolulu traffic from the locals. The one thing they forget is they are forced to drive at certain times to get somewhere, as vacationers we are not. If you want to go to Waikiki, don't leave between 7-9, unless you don't mind some traffic. Its quite heavy around Waikiki and starts to get backed up a long ways before then. During normal times it's about a half hour drive to Waikiki. It's about 40 minutes up to the north shore as measured by Matsumoto's :), about the same as Waikiki is from the north shore I believe. Traffic is much nicer around Kapolei, than it is around Waikiki.

As I stated my wife and I love Ko Olina. It is not for everyone. If you want action, nightlife, live music, etc., don't stay here, you won't be happy having to drive constantly to Waikiki. If you like relaxing, spending some romantic time with your partner, feeling more secluded, this is your place. When I was in my 20's I would have only stayed at Waikiki. No in my mid 30's I much prefer Ko Olina.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank joshua b

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (808)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
CA
Reviewed 21 January 2010

We stayed for 1 week in a 1 bedroom unit. It had a full kitchen, bedroom with king bed, living area, dining area, and balcony. Our unit was on the 4th floor facing the lagoon pool. It had a peek view of the ocean and was really nice. This property is gorgeous! It is extremely well-maintained, from the pools to the spas to the landscaping and common areas. The 3 pools were wonderful...it never, ever felt really crowded and we were always able to find a chair. The lagoon/beach is wonderful...calm and beautiful. We enjoyed many gorgeous sunsets there! Roys at the Ko Olina golf club is a must do....amazing food and surprisingly reasonable prices, especially if you do the 3 course dinner which included appetizer, entree, and dessert. Make reservations, though, because they fill up fast. Definitely rent a car if you come...there is lots to explore on the island! We did Pearl Harbor and the Iolani palace, hiked Diamond Head, and enjoyed the shrimp truck on the North Shore. The only complaint we had was with the Ko Olina Cat (the boat tours that run from the marina next door). Twice they pulled our whale watching trip in early...instead of picking us up at 1:30 they called our room at 12:00 and said we needed to be picked up at 12:30. Well...it's vacation and we were not sitting around our room waiting for a call. We rushed back from what we were doing and got there at 1:30 to find out we missed the whale watching trip for the day. They promised to comp the trip the next day and said there was no way they would change the time again. Guess what!?? They did it again and we missed it again. Frustrating... We ended up getting a comp sunset cruise, which was nice, except that they spent the whole cruise talking about how awesome the whales were that afternoon--on the cruise we were NOT on. We were really disappointed :-( But, otherwise, the hotel and staff are amazing...we would absolutely go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank sunnyCA28
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 11 January 2010

Rented a 2 Bedroom Ocean side timeshare in the newest building called "Naia". The stay was great. The lagoons and pools were a highlight. There wasn't as much fish as we were hoping to see in the lagoons, but they provided a very relaxing and safe place to hang out. The pool was great for the kids - interesting design with a good waterslide for the kids. Must go to the JW Marriott to see their pond - stingrays and hammerhead sharks. I'd say that the lagoon in front of the JW was the best.

As a timeshare renter, the only thing I found odd was that housekeeping only comes in once a week (mid-week) to do a cleanup. The kitchen and dining areas were fantastic, saves a ton of money eating meals in house. Safeway, Costco, restaurants and other shops within a 10 minute drive. A car is a must have.

Overall a great stay.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank Peter-YVR
Medina, Ohio
Reviewed 4 January 2010

I booked our two-bedroom suite for a seven-night stay more than six months ago on www.marriott.com. We had hoped to use points, but no reward stay options were offered. We chose the Marriott Beach Club without realizing it was primarily a vacation ownership property. Our main criteria were (1) secluded location away from the hustle and bustle of Honolulu and (2) rooms that could accomodate my husband and me, and our three teenage boys (two sons and a nephew) without costing a fortune. We won on both these counts.
The two bedroom suite included a fully-equipped kitchen, a dining area, a living room, and two FULL baths (a private bath in the boys' room and a five-piece master bath with access from the foyer and the master bedroom), plus two balconies (one off the living room, and a smaller one off the boys' room). There was also a washer and dryer - nice to have! We paid $502 (before the hefty taxes/fees/parking) per night. I was unable to find two rooms in a comparable hotel for anything near that price, so this seemed like a good deal. The suite was nicely decorated and featured crown moldings, granite countertops, and three flat screen TVs with DVD players. We were in the third building, which is the newest of the three and is actually still under construction, but you wouldn't know it. The exterior is finished, but it appears that the room interiors in the adjacent section are not.
Our biggest gripe, which echoes one of the other comments, is that we booked a MOUNTAIN view room but definitely did not get it. We were extremely disappointed to find that we had a PARKING LOT view room. (I guess that "mountain view" is their euphemism for "parking lot" view. We couldn't see any mountains from our suite.) Our first room was on the third floor and looked directly out to the parking lot; just beyond that is a small bay, and beyond that is a large industrial complex (including a refinery, among other things). Not exactly postcard material. We immediately complained. After a short wait, we were given a room two floors higher, which still viewed the parking lot, but at least we couldn't see directly into the cars. The front desk rep simply said that the majority of the guests were owners, and we, as tenants, got whatever rooms were left after the owners made their choices. The rep also said that owners had dibs on the fourth floor and higher. Yes, it was high season (the week between Christmas and New Year's), but we had no idea going into this that we would have such low status and couldn't get the view that we had reserved months ago.
We all enjoyed the pools and the beach. There's a slide that even I went down (multiple times - whee!). The grounds are lovely, and Beach Club guests have access to the nearby JW Marriott facilities about 15 minutes away by foot (walk along the ocean).
We took advantage of the suite's full kitchen and had breakfast in the room every day except Sunday, when we went to the JW Marriott for the champagne brunch. You can buy groceries at a nearby Safeway; there's also a Costco, Target and myriad fast food restaurants in the area, but you'll need to drive there.
There are two restaurants on the Beach Club grounds: a casual place on the beach, and a steak house with a very good salad bar. Roy's is within walking distance. There are also restaurants at the JW Marriott, including a Japanese restaurant where we enjoyed a very nice buffet dinner one night. The Beach Club gave us a discount card that gave a 10% discount on meals at the JW Marriott - every little bit helps!
We personally didn't find the ownership push to be all that hard. We opted out of the 90 minute presentation and no one bothered us about it. Just before we checked out, we received an offer of a super discount on a pre-paid five-night stay. The biggest catch was that we would have to attend the 90 minute presentation when we returned. We decided that it was too good a deal to pass up, so we bought the five-night offer. I'm looking forward to returning!

5 Thank VickyBee333
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 27 December 2009

We stayed here from Dec 13 to 18 in a Mountain view 1 bedroom suite in Hale Kona Tower on the 5th storey. I was surprised to that this Mountain view room overlooked the marina with a glimpse of the ocean. The suite was very spacious, with a full sized kitchen, laundry facilities, king sized bed, bathtub, shower, dining table, sofa couch etc. The only unpleasant encounter in the room was when we sighted a little centipede crawling in the bathtub that we had to get rid off ! The wireless internet in the room was slow most times except one of the nights where we were up at close to midnight. I had to print a document, as such had to use the business centre - even though the usage charge shown on the computer screen was $0.30 per minute, there was a minimum charge of $1 to use the computers.

We were able to book this suite from Marriott.com for less than $200 per day through a Marriott family and friend rate but we needed to provide check in a letter from a friend working in Marriott. Another observation was that the cost of self parking has increased since July 09. This is our 2nd stay in this resort. When I looked at our July invoice, we paid $26.18 per day for self park and in December we paid $30.37 per day (including tax).

As expected, the pools in the resort and Ko Olina Lagoons were great. We went snorkelling in Lagoon 1 and 2 but the waters in Lagoon 1 were far too murky. In Lagoon 2, we could sight a few fishes around the rocks but it was nothing spectacular. The pools were not very crowded this week, which is probably the low season. At the hut close to the gym where they provided towels and wristbands for the guests and owners, there was a board that showed numbers on wrist bands - these persons "won" root beer floats and shave ice. Too bad we noticed only on the last day as we had thrown out all the daily wrist bands.

For kids activities, there were several throughout the week but our child only attended one - craft making session (Christmas decorations) which cost $1 per craft. Cost $3 for 3 crafts (1/2hr session). Our child was the only one in that session!

Luau
Having attended the Fia Fia Luau in July this year which we enjoyed tremendously, we reluctantly decided to give the Fia Fia a miss and try the Paradise Cove Luau this time. Never realized that the Paradise Cove luau was located just beside the JW Marriott Illilani hotel. The Fia fia luau was held on a Wednesday this week instead of the Tuesday (which is its regular day). I booked the Paradise Cove Luau over the phone through a 3rd party travel vendor, and got a way better rate (about $20 less per adult) than booking directly with Paradise Cove. Decided to get the cheapest package (side seating) as I was betting on the Luau not being very crowded. Overall, I think both Luaus are quite different. The Fia Fia was on a smaller scale (less people), but it gave a very warm feeling. Kids could sit up front to watch in the Fia Fia luau. There were more activities to see and engage in the Paradise Cove Luau such as throwing spears/stones at targets, getting temporary tattoes, making coconut leaf handbands and wristbands with orchids, people marching withe roast pig (kalau). When I think back the food was better at the Fia Fia one, with a separate menu for kids (had kid's favourites such as Macaroni & Cheese). The Paradise Cove Luau's food was average. Tipping is included in the price for the Fia Fia one, but not the Paradise Cove one, as there were little baskets for you drop your tips as you engage in various activities.

5 Thank holidaysholidays
California
Reviewed 24 December 2009

This "vacation club" is all about greedy revenue generation, lies and bad customer service. Many of their ocean view rooms don't have it. Also, be carful when you reserve a "mountain view" room category because many of those rooms have parking lot views or ugly industrial plant view. The serivce is terrible. The managers have no common sense, they are not empowered to do anything and frankly, they don't care. The facility is very limited in the services offered. They advertise free wireless internet service in the rooms but do NOT provide that. You'll need to drive 8 min to the nearest grocery store. Everything at the resort is out rageously over priced. Don't ruin your precious vacation in this resort. It's a waste of money and a lot of frustration.

7 Thank mallya
Iowa
Reviewed 21 December 2009

Wife and I stayed at the Marriott time share. Had a great time. Nice place. Although we went sans kiddies, there were lots of families there. It was a VERY family-friendly place without honking off us adults looking for some alone time.
Great pools and a lagoon beach. We snorkeled a little right there in their little lagoon beach and saw fish. Just a few lagoons down we saw sea turtles that swam right up to us. You're not allowed to touch them in HI but they liked our company. And we didn't even feed them!
They have a luau there every week which is OK. Not as action-packed as some of the others on the island but the food was great and we didn't have to drive anywhere.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank srjefe
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapolei
Waikiki
Trump International Hotel Waikiki
Waikiki
The Modern Honolulu
The Modern Honolulu
#5 of 84 in Honolulu
Turtle Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Kahuku

Been to Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club? Share your experiences!