“Best Place to go in Hawaii”

Polynesian Cultural Center
Ranked #2 of 15 things to do in Laie
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: One of the top Hawaii attractions includes the Polynesian Cultural Center, which features a 42-acre facility on the North Shore of Oahu. Founded in 1963, the nonprofit Center was created so that the students of nearby Brigham Young University Hawaii could work their way through college by sharing their island heritage with visitors. The students come from an area that covers approximately 12 million square miles of the Pacific Ocean.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
denver
“Best Place to go in Hawaii”
Reviewed 19 June 2008

My husband and I had a great time. We learned so much. The show at the end was awesome. Anyone going to Hawaii need to come here you will NOT be disappointed!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
Phoenix, Arizona
“Must see in Hawaii”
Reviewed 19 June 2008

I highly recommend this place to everyone!!! It's fun, educational, interactive, very entertaining and the food is fabulous. If you want a sense of what Hawaii feels like, come here! They are friendly and make you feel like you are in paradise.

Ogden, Utah
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“2008 Hawaii Vacation”
Reviewed 18 June 2008

We found the Polynesian Cultural Center to be a very interesting place to spend some time while in Hawaii. The various exibits were beautiful and well done. We went with a guide and were glad we did because he got us to the points of interest at the proper time and we were able to see all of the exibits without any problems. The evening show was awesome and well worth the time and money. We would recommend it everyone.

1 Thank drwedge
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“must see on Oahu”
Reviewed 18 June 2008

The service from the Polynesian Cultural Center was excellent. The park itself is easy to get to with public transport, which is timed so that you can catch the bus approx 25 minutes after the evening show. This saves at least 20USD per person, and does not take much more time than the busses offered by the different tour companies.

The luau was fantastic. The food was good, and the new location, while a bit larger and more commercial than the old location provided better views of the show.

The cultural exhibits are always very interesting, and the canoe pageant was beautiful.

All in all this is a must do activity while in Hawaii.

Oregon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Top pick attraction”
Reviewed 18 June 2008

Hubby and I spent the day at the Polynesian Cultural Center in April on a Wednesday. We purchased the Ambassador tour with the prime rib dinner. Our outing for the day wasn't cheap, though our visit was at the top of our list of favorite things we did during our week long stay and believe me...we did a lot of things. There are always pros and cons about being a part of a tour group (our group had about 10 people). The pros in this case includes that we had a student guide who was very personable and friendly and she seemed to geniunely care that everyone was having a good time. It was also very helpful that she had pre-planned our day's events. There are so many things to do at the Cultural Center that we felt she made sure we were able to participate in as many things as possible. The cons are that you follow someone else's schedule, which in this case meant we didn't have a lunch break (we were lucky to grab a snack bag of chips on our way back from a quick restroom break which we asked for). The day got off to a fabulous start with a stage demonstration that showed us how to open a coconut, shred the coconut meat and how to get coconut milk from the meat. There was also a lesson on starting a fire and a young man that climbed a coconut tree. I have to say...that was probably my favorite part of the day. The main guy that was providing the demonstration was so hillarious. He probably does the show day after day after day, but he truly left you feeling like it was opening night. At the end of our guided tour, everyone went their separate ways to go to their dining venue (either the prime rib dinner or the luau). We choose the prime rib dinner. There was a lot of food - fresh fruit, huge shrimp (hot or cold), prime rib, terriyaki chicken (which was my favorite), salad bar, various other side dishes, clam chowder, beverage (yes...even cola), and dessert. I was full from the shrimp and chicken and didn't even miss that I didn't try the prime rib. Guess it was a good thing we didn't have lunch since dinner was quite filling. After dinner we had about a half an hour before the Horizons show was going to begin. We decided to meander around and check out some things we didn't get a chance to see. Unfortunately, we let someone talk us into the tram ride to see the temple. I probably would have enjoyed the experience if it weren't for the persistence in trying to educate us on how wonderful it is to be Morman. Yes...it was impressive to see the numerous books of Morman printed in many, many different languages, though I felt that my sharing that I was quite pleased and filled with contentment in my own religous faith went unheard. I wish I could have just been allowed to walk around and look at things instead of being preached to. I honestly couldn't wait to get back on the tram! At no time during our day was there any discussion about Morman other than sharing that the students from the University work at the Center to help with college expenses. Had we skipped the tram tour, we wouldn't have been subjected to the conversation at all. The Horizon show was great. The twirling of the fire batons at top speed was amazing. We had a ticket from our package to get an ice cream treat during admission. My goodness, it was a gigantic treat - enough for 2 or 3 people. It was also very delicious. I read several reviews before visiting the center and I found that some people loved the experience and some thought it was a waste of time. Personally, I think you'd have to be looking for reasons to be unhappy if you can't find some enjoyment during the day. We will have fond memories of our experience.

1 Thank Ready2Go85