“Polynesian Cultural Center”

Ranked #2 of 15 things to do in Laie
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Polynesian Cultural Center is one of the most visited destinations in Hawaii! Our beautiful 42 acre park, which sits along the northeast edge of Oahu, features six distinct Polynesian villages, Hawaii, Aotearoa, Fiji, Tahiti, Tonga and Samoa. We offer numerous dining options including daily luaus which provides a delicious island themed buffet and lively entertainment. Our award winning evening show, Ha: Breath of Life features over 100 Polynesian performers, presenting a stirring tale of love, adventure, life and death and featuring championship level fireknife dancers and jaw dropping special effects. We also provide a variety of shops and kiosks offering everything from aloha inspired clothing to quality ukuleles, and island souvenirs to fine jewelry.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

We visited the PCC in late December. A few things about this attraction are important to realize:
1) There is alot of hands on "stuff" that is very interesting in the various pavilions. This includes spearchucking, outrigger canoeing, making flowers out of palm leaves, playing native instruments. Some things have an extra $ to participate fully. Probably enough for a day with the family, although older teens may mentally check out early. Good for kids 7-15 and then for culturally curious adults. For us, this worked really well. We arrived late (3pm) so did not see everything.
2) The luau was VERY overrated. It is basically the same as the Polynesian in Disney. Hundreds of people packed pretty tighly in tables that are close together. Very commercial! Buffet. Tourist trap for sure. Food was overall average to poor. Nothing special. The luau show was pretty much lifeless with various celebration of birthdays, anniversaries for folks in the crowd. My view was that the performers phoned it in. Would never have booked this if I knew this was such a meat market! My bad!!
3) We also booked the show "Breath of Life" which started at 730 pm and lasted until about 915 pm with an intermission. We have seen shows all over the world and since we are close to Manhattan are blessed to have some of the best theater. Can honestly say BOL was one of the best shows we have ever seen. It was amazing! A celebration of life in the islands via a focus on 2 generations of families. Dont want to spoil with details, but we would go back just to see this show again. Be aware! The venue is huge and sells out regularly. You can upgrade your tix for $10, which we did and were glad we had given the size of the theater. Note the theater is partially outdoors and a 5 min walk from the luau area. At the intermission, they bring out vanilla ice cream and fruit for purchase in a cup. We all thought it was the best ice cream we ever had!
4) There is a wonderful gift shop with some very unique Hawaiian items. Reasonably priced for much of the inventory by island standards.
5) The drive from Honolulu is breathtaking!
6) There are many booking options and tours available. Booking online two weeks or more in advance provides some stellar savings, so plan ahead!!
7) One final note...if you are desparate and really hated the food, there is a McDonalds attached to the parking lot.

4  Thank sljlm
Write a ReviewReviews (7,000)

Reviewed 12 January 2014

Very informative and extremely entertaining, A MUST SEE FOR ANYONE VISITING OAHU. Be sure to get the ambassador pkg.
Our guide Chris was an great young man, our children loved him.
It is the best culture experience on the island!

1  Thank KeithWvacation
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Family really loved this place and the drive to get there was quite fun, we enjoyed the different activities and the staff was very knowledgeable and creative.

1  Thank Tina W
Reviewed 10 January 2014

I am beginning to believe your second visit to a place that really caught your admiration tends to lead to disappointment. And this certainly fit that concept. Disclaimer, I had been there almost 30 years ago.

I found it all very artificial and terribly out of date. Plastic rainbow colored grass skirts don't do much in my opinion of promoting nor preserving any Polynesian culture. I was very disappointed to see them used in the canoe parade just to stick with a rainbow colored theme.

I thought signage and information on non staffed buildings could have been far better. If you see something for sale in a nation, pick it up there because it may very well not be for sale in a larger retail setting on property. DO NOT make a point of being in the Tahitian village for the wedding ceremony - you will see it during the main show.

The 4D movie really missed some excellent opportunities to match the abilities of the theater and the film to make for a better experience for guests.

The luau thingy was awful!! OMG! For one thing it was loud! Too loud. My family & I didn't find the MC in any way amusing. The show was (at the time - before we had seen Ha & with memories of 30 yrs ago) lame but in hindsight a little better for getting a sense of the different types of dance and a little bit about the music. Food was terrible - eat up the poi rolls, lettuce salad & poi bread pudding. Orchid leis a nice touch. Don't feel compelled to miss any nation for the sake of getting there early.

Ha did nothing for me. The seating seemed different -much closer than before. But I was completely unimpressed with the dance numbers. The poi balls can be so impressive and this wasn't. I prefer more the Hula Kahiko style and didn't get enough of that. I didn't think Hula 'Auana really seemed to fit the story. The men felt that since they really weren't told what was going on several dance numbers could have been eliminated. The dance numbers and volcanoes that seemed so impressive before and really weren't this time.

I wish I had seen at the bottom of our tickets that we could have toured the Temple in Laie. I think that would have been a more educational and informative experience.

3  Thank KESinMN21
Reviewed 10 January 2014

I have been to the Polynesian Cultural Center more then once I love the Parade of Canoes the music costumes and dancing. I feel that the dinner is much better then the lunch. I preferred the old Luau to Ha Breath, so we didn't stay.