“LONG DAY but good experience”

Polynesian Cultural Center
Ranked #2 of 15 things to do in Laie
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: One of the top Hawaii attractions includes the Polynesian Cultural Center, which features a 42-acre facility on the North Shore of Oahu. Founded in 1963, the nonprofit Center was created so that the students of nearby Brigham Young University Hawaii could work their way through college by sharing their island heritage with visitors. The students come from an area that covers approximately 12 million square miles of the Pacific Ocean.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
jbulth39
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“LONG DAY but good experience”
Reviewed 11 September 2008

I don't think my fiancee and I realized what we were getting into with this trip. It was billed as a Luau but it really is a cross between an amusement park, a museum, and a luau. This trip takes up a WHOLE DAY. The trip is well run and all the tour guides and performers are students at the college campus associated with the center which is a nice touch. However, they never miss the chance to sell you something; pictures, ice cream, food and drinks, etc... The luau was quick and the food was OK but served buffet style with about 250 other people. The performance at the end is nice but by then you'll be so tired from a day in the sun that you might just want to go home. A worthwhile experience but not one I would do again. If you are looking for a luau I would sign up for something that focuses more on the dinner and relaxing and not on education.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
Topeka, KS
183 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 399 helpful votes
“Not quite what I expected, but a good show”
Reviewed 3 September 2008

We visited the Polynesian Cultural Center (PCC) in August 2008. I had expected the venue to be a lush botanical garden with lots to see and do. The grounds are well-maintained, but it wasn't the tropical paradise I had envisioned.

The activities are designed to teach you about the different Polynesian tribe cultures. However, we sort of wandered and watched lessons and demonstrations in action. The employees had fabulous New Zealand accents, but they didn't go out of their way to greet you or make you feel welcome. However, when approached, they would answer any questions. I would compare the experience to being in a living museum.

We returned a few days later for the luau and the Horizon's show. Because of horrible traffic, we were late for the luau, but arrived to eat (pretty decent) and watch the second half of the luau performance. The emcee was fun and the dancers were good, but we were sat way up at the top and it wasn't the best view. Also, because we were late, we had to track down staff to bring us drinks, and that wasn't much fun.

We then walked over to the Horizon's show, and that performance was really good. It was educational, fast-paced, and highly entertaining. I would go back again just for that show.

Chicago, IL
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Great Cultural Experience!”
Reviewed 24 August 2008

My wife and I went here during our honeymoon and I'd have to say that it was definitely a cool experience! The price is definitely up there, but I'd have to say that it was well worth it for they keep you entertained for a full day. They start off the day at noon and the entertainment goes until 9:30 PM. We would recommend purchasing the Luau, Ambassador Package, for they give you a guided tour and a Hawaiian buffet. The food was good and much different than in the states. The night ends with a great performance from all the Polynesian islands. The best part is the fire dancers. We noticed that if you book through an Activity Center as opposed to them directly, you can save some money.

Pros: Good food, great cultural experience and education. Overall fun and entertaining.

Cons: The schedule may be a little too long for some. It's kinda far from Waikiki.

Vacaville, CA
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Must Visit”
Reviewed 22 August 2008

My family had a great time at the Cultural Center. We learned a lot about the Villages and even participated in several shows. We shelled out the extra money for the Super Ambassador Package and I have to say when I visit again I will only purchase that package. The package is well worth the money. You get your very own personal tour guide that shows you around all day until the Horizons Show. Some of the other extras - Reserved seating at all the Island Demonstrations, Special Canoe Tour, Reserved Seats at the IMAX movie, Special Shell Lei, Fine Dining w/ Reserved Seats at the Lulu, VIP Seating at the Horizons Night Show, pre show backstage tour, free deelight dessert during intermission and a few souvenir videos w/ programs. Kap is a very entertaining fire warrior and keeps every show that he is in very interesting. I can't say enough good things about visiting the center. It was a whole fun packed day. I will be visiting again soon.

Glastonbury, CT
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Average, not great”
Reviewed 12 August 2008

We had an okay experience. We got there later in the day and things were closing down. The park is divided into the different islands of Polynesia. If there is not demonstration or show going on at the island then there is nothing to see there. Make sure you plan out your day there to see the shows, otherwise it is a waste of time and money. The horizon's show is interesting and worth the money. THe buffet was not. Your better off going to the snack bar and getting a burger. If you can, go to one the luau's, they were sold out by the time we got there. The center is run by Mormons so the dress of the performers is quite conservative for hula dancers and there is no alcohol served. All the employees and performers were college students, probably from the BYU campus next door to the cultural center. If you want a real authentic luau on the beach, look elsewhere, however this was quite interesting.