“Very Worthwhile Experience”

Ranked #2 of 15 things to do in Laie
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Polynesian Cultural Center is one of the most visited destinations in Hawaii! Our beautiful 42 acre park, which sits along the northeast edge of Oahu, features six distinct Polynesian villages, Hawaii, Aotearoa, Fiji, Tahiti, Tonga and Samoa. We offer numerous dining options including daily luaus which provides a delicious island themed buffet and lively entertainment. Our award winning evening show, Ha: Breath of Life features over 100 Polynesian performers, presenting a stirring tale of love, adventure, life and death and featuring championship level fireknife dancers and jaw dropping special effects. We also provide a variety of shops and kiosks offering everything from aloha inspired clothing to quality ukuleles, and island souvenirs to fine jewelry.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We visited the PCC with the Super Ambassador upgrade. This upgrade gave us a guide and limited our group size to just our family of six. The guide was personable and very informative, have come from one of the Polynesian islands, and attending BYU. We had reserved seats at all the main shows, and he got us there just in time for each show. The seats were up front, and in the shade. My son was even chosen as a "visiting chief" to the island of New Zealand, and was part of the ceremony. After touring the villages and learning about the different cultures, we had dinner at the prime rib buffet line. The selection was plentiful, and very good. Another benefit of the Super Ambassador upgrade was seating in a reserved section that was not crowded, and included a server to take care of beverages. (Note: no alcoholic beverages are served at the PCC). Following dinner we were escorted to an IMAX show, which was amazing. After that, we got a backstage tour of the evening presentation where we saw performers practicing, the costume prep area, and the props used in the show. That gave us an appreciation for the amount of effort to put on a production like that. From there, we were escorted to our seats, located right in front of the stage, another benefit of the upgrade package (along with a complimentary pineapple ice-cream during intermission). The evening show was quite an experience we won't forget.
The concept of the PCC is to provide scholarships to students from the islands in exchange for sharing their cultures with visitors. This helps preserve what has been handed down for generations, and provides the guests with a learning experience that can't be equalled. Since money spent there goes toward promoting education and scholarships, I thought the cost of admission and the upgrade was money well spent.

1  Thank scubaV
There are newer reviews for Polynesian Cultural Center

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Our family had a wonderful day at the PCC. Visiting the villages was great fun. The best parts were the hands-on activities at each of the villages. (To me, the dancing all starts to look the same after a while. Ain't got enough culture in me, I guess)

Food is the downside: Please check my review of the Ali'i Luau.

The big evening program was great fun, when things were on fire. My kids enjoyed it. Again, the dancing all starts to look the same, but the fire dancers were incredible. Worth it.

It is pricey - cheek the website for discounts. It really is a required stop when visiting Oahu.

2  Thank AZwanderlust
Reviewed 10 June 2014

As a returning native islander, I remember coming to the Polynesian Cultural Center on a field trip in grade school and enjoying the experience so I thought that my teenage son (who grew up on the mainland) might enjoy it also. We arrived at noon just after the Center opens at 11:45 am. Yes, a bit late for most tourist attractions to open but the Center gears everything to it's evening show & luau. We opted for General Admission only, no show or luau. If you get to the Center when it opens, most of the villages are pleasantly uncrowded and you can talk to the people working there and do crafts/games without standing in line. We did a couple of crafts, attended a few demonstrations/talks and learned something new in each village. We stayed about 4 hours and felt that we got our monies worth.

I was impressed with the cleanliness of the Center, how well laid out it was with each village having it's own little store, how friendly and helpful everyone was (there are guides everywhere! If you need help, just ask!), the great canoe pageant that goes on at 2:30 each day, the knowledge of the people working there and the conveniently placed restrooms so that you don't have to walk back to the entrance all the time!

My only complaint is the cost of the parking at $10.00 per car.

2  Thank nnl
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I visited this spot, it was so much fun and educational. You learn about all the Polynesian cultures during the day, your entertained throughout the whole day, and by night, you feast on a delicious luau! It's awesome, you gotta go experience this!

1  Thank Byron202
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Enjoyable place to visit. Fun to learn the cultures. Good food, very very friendly staff. Most of the people who work there are actually BYU-Hawaii students.